Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Going from EV back to ICE

Are you ever going to enjoy driving an ICE again?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm torn between keeping my '16 Mustang GT convertible or selling it. The mustang used to be the fun car to drive if we went out, but now it's her P85+. I can't wait to get off work just so I can drive her car somewhere...anywhere! I enjoy it so much that I just put the deposit on a CPO P85D. Now I'm contemplating keeping the mustang or selling it. I do feel that we need an ICE vehicle for emergencies, but thinking it should be a 4X4 truck for it's versatility. I turn my leased F150 in next month.

I'm torn between keeping my '16 Mustang GT convertible or selling it. The mustang used to be the fun car to drive if we went out, but now it's her P85+. I can't wait to get off work just so I can drive her car somewhere...anywhere! I enjoy it so much that I just put the deposit on a CPO P85D. Now I'm contemplating keeping the mustang or selling it. I do feel that we need an ICE vehicle for emergencies, but thinking it should be a 4X4 truck for it's versatility. I turn my leased F150 in next month.

Sell the mustang, get a cheaper pickup (don't put a lot into a car that's just a backup), pocket the difference. No?

Reactions: TravisT
Bought Model S to replace my wife's Panamera 4S and I also have a Z06 Vette and a Volvo V60 CC. The P100D is so much quicker and feels faster than my Vette at everything below 9/10s, that I am now shopping for a Model X for the wife so I can drive the S as my daily.

• Love
Reactions: Ulmo and gavine
I think ICE is the right choice for people that live in places like Winnipeg. You know you are in one when all the parking lots have rows and rows plugs .....for BLOCK HEATERS not charging!

All machines suffer in the severe cold ....so you want a technology with lots of waste heat, like an ICE.
A cold soaked pack at -15F is a PITA

Reactions: Ulmo
I think ICE is the right choice for people that live in places like Winnipeg. You know you are in one when all the parking lots have rows and rows plugs .....for BLOCK HEATERS not charging!
Those block heaters are also battery heaters, Tesla even supplies an adapter. Turn on the car and pre heat the cabin. Timing depends on the temperature, but the process overall works much better than my diesel and block heater.

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo and mandersen
If I had some wimpy uncomfortable cheap EV (honestly, I've never test-driven an extreme example of that, so can't even spit out an extreme example model), and went into a recent well-optioned Mercedes S65 in good condition and with Magic Body Control or similar Active Suspension (that reads potholes), I'd find the ICE more comfortable and superior in every possible way and metric (including smoothness, noise, reaction time, sportiness, comfort, ambiance, atmosphere, etc.). Your question seems kind of overly broad.

Note that in order for me to sledge-hammer your question down, I had to compare a $10K EV with a $300K ICE, with the ICE having an annual maintenance plan (including all real ongoing ownership costs, not just those quoted by the salesman) that is many times per year than that of the total cost of ownership of the EV over its entire lifetime.

As ones starts comparing successively more expensive EV's to successively less expensive ICE's, some of the comparison metric results start crossing over.

I bet a fully optioned $200K Model X would beat most (but not all) metrics of a $500 ICE.

(How could a $500 ICE beat any metric of a $200K Model X? Haha, easy, off the top of my head, hands down no comparison: winter heater, of course, presuming the heater works in the ICE. Secondary, the $500 vehicle might have better uphill towing capability, or an ability to go further off-road, or more cargo area and capability, or more seating space, or something else EV's just don't do well yet. The least likely thing a $500 vehicle could do in that list though is go far off-road; it would break down too easily due to age, but if you're in a caravan with redundancy, that might be a non-issue.)
I wrote this back in 2014 when I got into Teslas: "Car market literally down to 2 cars today"

It sure felt like going back to ICE would be impossible at the beginning - and the 0-30 on an ICE certainly makes it feel like it is broken compared to a good BEV. True.

That said, fast-forward three years and another high-performance Tesla later, and I don't dislike ICEs as much anymore. I mean, I believe in the BEV future and find it unlikely that I'd be buying too many ICEs anymore, but it isn't a strict either-or thing either.

Put it this way: I expect my daily drivers to be BEVs going forward. For some fun, recreation and long-distance backup I expect to continue looking at ICE in the foreseeable future.

One issue is that the BEV choice continues to be very limited. For example, try as I might, no part of my Model X roof unfolds and at times that is unfortunate.
This. The range of vehicle options (not range of distance, but that could even use some work, too) of EV's is immature. For instance, there is no Range Rover EV, Pickup EV, or many other specialty cars that are fairly common in the ICE realm. I think that's just a time thing; 20 years from now, that will go away if money is not an object.
I think the poll is flawed.
Polls by their nature are all flawed. You cannot create a good (defined as perfect) poll; it is impossible. I've therefore stopped caring if polls are flawed, because they all are.
I kept our Suburban for towing and trips, but have used it so seldomly that I had to jump start it last time.

And I always forget to lock it. Now I'm even forgetting to turn ICE cars off!

I've been lazy trying to sell our Mercedes 500 CLK convertible, thinking I might still use it for the drop top option... Nope! First time I got in it after driving the Tesla for a while, it felt so cheap and shaky, I had no desire to drive it even on a perfect convertible day.
I bet that just means the engine mounts weren't maintained. But, that's expensive! I've done it on my prior E500 many times. Not worth it for a few times a year.

Last edited: