Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Going from long range to Model 3 with LFP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
T

tony26

Would it be smart to go from a long range mode 3 to a model 3 with LFP battery? The main reason I'm asking is, I don't drive much around 50 miles a day. I heard that LFP batteries can last longer and will go around 700 to 1 million miles. Granted I don't know if this is true, that's why i'm asking the question. What are the downsides to a Model 3? I know it does not have a great auto system compared to the long range and the lower range. Anything else?

The batteries you have will outlast the car. I personally wouldn't make the switch just because of the batteries. However, depending on the vintage of your 3, there may be features that have been added (like heated steering wheel, matrix lights, etc.) that you like better and may be worth it to you to switch.

The batteries you have will outlast the car. I personally wouldn't make the switch just because of the batteries. However, depending on the vintage of your 3, there may be features that have been added (like heated steering wheel, matrix lights, etc.) that you like better and may be worth it to you to switch.
I agree. If your new M3 battery lasts for 700,000 miles at 50 miles per day, you can keep your car for 40 years,at which point any part you need to replace probably hasn’t been manufactured for like the previous 30 years. Your long range M3, on the other hand, might only last for what, a trifling 35 years?

Would it be smart to go from a long range mode 3 to a model 3 with LFP battery? The main reason I'm asking is, I don't drive much around 50 miles a day. I heard that LFP batteries can last longer and will go around 700 to 1 million miles. Granted I don't know if this is true, that's why i'm asking the question. What are the downsides to a Model 3? I know it does not have a great auto system compared to the long range and the lower range. Anything else?
How old is your car? Are there current issues with your car? Are there any new features on the new model that you will consider a significant upgrade?

If there are not issues, you like the way your 3 is and the only benefit is potentially a longer battery, I would wait it out. You drive 50 miles a day, any EV out there works with its range, even a Leaf. With the potentially new refresh coming out on the M3 and Tesla figuring out what to do with sensors, camera, radar + competition releasing more options which can only mean good stuff for the consumer in terms of buying power, I would wait it out.