Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Going mudding in a Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since a few people have rated my original post as "disagree", I'm curious to hear your personal opinion. Do you actually find this fender gap attractive?

new-white-front.jpg

Maybe they disagree because of your hyperbole? That picture also has the base wheel which typically makes the gap look worse (and as others pointed out the lighting exaggerates it even further).

The blue one seems fine:
tesla-model-3-spy-photos-7.jpg

Reactions: DR61
The blue one does look quite a bit better, and I'll be curious to see the final details of tire and wheel sizes. But then there's the red one with those same wheels, and clearly the fender gap is MUCH larger. Since this photo is of the car being loaded or unloaded, I'm guessing there's a possibility it may have air suspension set to high temporarily.

July can't come soon enough. :p

model-3-red.jpeg

Reactions: T34ME
My prediction is that while most everyone will agree that the stock Model 3 is pretty terrific looking, compared to many other cars of it's size, that there will spring up a large number of aftermarket customizer that will modify tires, wheels, sound systems to add sub woofers and even stronger speakers, enhanced lighting, clear and tinted corners, spoilers, chin splitters, rear valances, body kits, seating, upholstery,tinted windows, body cladding, underbody lighting, suspensions etc.

Look for it to have a significant presence at SEMA.

Some of it will improve the car, and some will just junk it up, but I suspect that it will attract huge attention from the aftermarket community.

• Love
Reactions: jimmyz80 and T34ME
The blue one does look quite a bit better, and I'll be curious to see the final details of tire and wheel sizes. But then there's the red one with those same wheels, and clearly the fender gap is MUCH larger. Since this photo is of the car being loaded or unloaded, I'm guessing there's a possibility it may have air suspension set to high temporarily.

model-3-red.jpeg
It having a flat tire likely doesn't help

I did a quick photoshop last summer using the MyTesla page image, but in gold to be able to see the fender gap easier, of the difference from the stock height and the approximate low SAS height and it does look so much sleeker to me when lower. So hoping the SAS will be an option, already was planning on dual motors, so if it's only available with the D, that's ok (at least for today - may totally change my mind on what I think I need/want when we see the configurer).

but.... the MyTesla image does look like what we are seeing on the RCs as far as wheel fender gap, IMO YMMV

View attachment 226773

gold-gif.226773

Lizard_pushups.gif

Coming from a snow slush,and ice location
I personally prefer the fender gap with a slightly higher riding position, without having to pay big $ for air suspension.
I not fond of having to stoop down and slide in for entry axcess and prefer the view sitting higher up.
Ride , comfort & practicality over ultra high performance for me. Just getting old I guess.

I also modify my vehicles to achieve my personal preferences, & look forward to the aftermarket options.

Reactions: Bangor Bob

model-3-red.jpeg
Not saying this is the case, but lots of manufacturers put blocks in the springs when cars get shipped. This car was taken off a transporter so could possibly be.

I think the blue photo might actually have less fender gap because it is coming out of a turn. It could have the springs more compressed on the left side than the right. This might explain the difference between the red and the blue images. Images where the car is in motion are probably not a good way to determine the finished production gap. I would only use images where the car is stopped fully.