Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Going on a 500 mile trip and the car and ABRP are totally different. Looking for advice.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
yes those charger at Culver's is Casa Grande, my first stop is Buckeye which is where I've always stopped at for my first stop in my Model S.I'll just do this drive and see how it goes.
The one time I stopped at Buckeye charger, Fast Food place would not even allow use of restroom unless buying food. Had to go to Cracker Barrel for restroom stop. I drive to Rocky Point often, and use the chargers at Gila Bend. Nice V3 chargers, and usually there only about 15 minutes to finish up the Rocky Point leg. Chargers are somewhat conservative with charging time. I'm convinced we get directed to highest charger rate charger, and keep us there longer than needed. Saw this on trip to Fontana, where there was a charger north end of Fontana the was about .20 less per kWh to charge. Not sure if they the case any longer.
The chargers at Culver's are faster than Buckeye, but your SOC would be higher so rate will be slower. Better food though, and they allow restroom use.

I get similar discrepancies when I use ABRP versus the Tesla online route planner with my vehicle going a similar distance. I've always found Tesla's estimates to be very conservative until the vehicle is in motion and then everything updates and gets more accurate.
I know that my thought here is going to come out as super-conspiracy theory, but let’s say at 40cents/kw that tesla is insented while charging to let you go over for the additional charge. ABRP has no skin in the game. I do like ABRP as a second to the tesla map. It certainly has let me release from the supercharger with confidence before tesla would have. But - I do believe tesla accounts for things that ABRP would not, wind, incline Etc.

The one time I stopped at Buckeye charger, Fast Food place would not even allow use of restroom unless buying food. Had to go to Cracker Barrel for restroom stop. I drive to Rocky Point often, and use the chargers at Gila Bend. Nice V3 chargers, and usually there only about 15 minutes to finish up the Rocky Point leg. Chargers are somewhat conservative with charging time. I'm convinced we get directed to highest charger rate charger, and keep us there longer than needed. Saw this on trip to Fontana, where there was a charger north end of Fontana the was about .20 less per kWh to charge. Not sure if they the case any longer.
The chargers at Culver's are faster than Buckeye, but your SOC would be higher so rate will be slower. Better food though, and they allow restroom use.
Agree on motivation from Tesla to keep you on the tit. Nice all on bucket v Gila. I have not made this trip yet. What is your typical SOC once you arrive in RP, and are you ok doing things around town and heading out or do you use the mobile charger to top off the night before you depart from RP?

I know that my thought here is going to come out as super-conspiracy theory, but let’s say at 40cents/kw that tesla is insented while charging to let you go over for the additional charge. ABRP has no skin in the game. I do like ABRP as a second to the tesla map. It certainly has let me release from the supercharger with confidence before tesla would have. But - I do believe tesla accounts for things that ABRP would not, wind, incline Etc.

But at the end of the trip you will have burned the same amount of kwh. The only one that would matter would be "over charging" the last one and getting you to your destination with excess kwh in the battery.

They're actually incentivized to charge you as quickly as possible and move you along so that others can use that stall. Arriving as low as possible and only charging enough to reach the next charger is most ideal for the charging facility.

Unnnnllleessssss they also have the car be less efficient en route, burning those extra kwh. But that whole scheme for a couple extra bucks, and creating a condition for a big public class action lawsuit seems like a terrible idea. Producing a reliable and efficient product seems like the better way to go. But I don't have AI robots and space lasers so what do I know. :D

• Funny
Reactions: TacoGuy and KenC
Agree on motivation from Tesla to keep you on the tit. Nice all on bucket v Gila. I have not made this trip yet. What is your typical SOC once you arrive in RP, and are you ok doing things around town and heading out or do you use the mobile charger to top off the night before you depart from RP?
When I charge at Gila Bend I like to get to around 200-220 miles showing. It's around 145 miles to RP, and that usually gets me there with around 12-15% SOC. That's a comfort number for me. The road is a little rough and somewhat uphill in certain areas. I have a place in RP and use a side by side when I'm there, do not really take M3 downtown, although many do. There are around 5 Resorts in RP with chargers. I have a place at the Spa and we installed 2 Tesla, 1 Seimens, and a NEMA 14-50. The best charging Resort in RP with it's new equipment and charge rate. I designed it and our Maintanence Manger is an Electrical engineer, did the installation. Free for Renters. RP is a great place, been going there for 20 years.

Reactions: TacoGuy
I've found that in car nav points me towards V2 superchargers that are more than half occupied, when there are V3 superchargers nearby that would provide a much faster charge.

Wish it'd be smart enough to prioritize V3 chargers.
When you bring up SC location and click on site, you see charge rate, speed, and number of chargers available. I use that information sometimes to charge early to bypass a busier and more expensive charger. I still thinks Tesla's Nav picks most expensive charging rate choices on trips, when there are multiple choices.

When I charge at Gila Bend I like to get to around 200-220 miles showing. It's around 145 miles to RP, and that usually gets me there with around 12-15% SOC. That's a comfort number for me. The road is a little rough and somewhat uphill in certain areas. I have a place in RP and use a side by side when I'm there, do not really take M3 downtown, although many do. There are around 5 Resorts in RP with chargers. I have a place at the Spa and we installed 2 Tesla, 1 Seimens, and a NEMA 14-50. The best charging Resort in RP with it's new equipment and charge rate. I designed it and our Maintanence Manger is an Electrical engineer, did the installation. Free for Renters. RP is a great place, been going there for 20 years.
Thanks for the info

The car is very conservative - it really errs on the side of making sure you arrive to your next destination. So, it is likely planning for you to arrive at each supercharger with about 20% charge.
I have noticed this more recently as well; I tend to monitor projected energy use and sometimes select a different charge stop as I like to arrive about 10% (min). Doesn't answer OP question though directly

I live in Tucson also - but I have the Performance so I'm closer to 310 miles at 100%. . .

My math shows two stops to Anaheim - which makes sense.

What is your watts/mi lifetime average? I see about 278 with climate on [heat or AC doesn't matter much] so you take 85% of your stored power [ mine is about 81000 watts] times 85% = 68850 divided by 278 = 247 miles - there is your range before you should charge. I can get to the Quartzite or Ehrenberg charger = then I top it off there - and then can make it to Indio easily - top off there to 80% and I'm golden til I find someplace to charge in the OC area.

Reactions: jwharnish
Heck, took my M3 SR from south of Tucson to Kingman AZ (home of Andy Devine and an EV museum...) a few months ago. Just go. Car will get you where you want to wind up. Fiddle with stops while on the fly. So many SCers out there now it really does not matter.

Rich
Right. Just drive and don’t worry about it. Let the car do the thinking. Overtime you’ll Learn best charging on road trips.

Reactions: comanchepilot
I live in Tucson also - but I have the Performance so I'm closer to 310 miles at 100%. . .

My math shows two stops to Anaheim - which makes sense.

What is your watts/mi lifetime average? I see about 278 with climate on [heat or AC doesn't matter much] so you take 85% of your stored power [ mine is about 81000 watts] times 85% = 68850 divided by 278 = 247 miles - there is your range before you should charge. I can get to the Quartzite or Ehrenberg charger = then I top it off there - and then can make it to Indio easily - top off there to 80% and I'm golden til I find someplace to charge in the OC area.
My avg watts per mile ended up being round trip were 267 and cruise control set to 80 pretty much the whole time.
Both driving out of town and coming back there's issues in Buckeye and Indio. It ends up taking about 10 minutes longer than the car states. Buckeye would only get 70 something kw and same with Indio. On the way home I made a extra stop so I also charged in Glendale and Eloy. Eloy had amazing speed.
I'm going again next weekend and wish I could bypass Buckeye, plus with all the construction there it just takes much longer.

My avg watts per mile ended up being round trip were 267 and cruise control set to 80 pretty much the whole time.
Both driving out of town and coming back there's issues in Buckeye and Indio. It ends up taking about 10 minutes longer than the car states. Buckeye would only get 70 something kw and same with Indio. On the way home I made a extra stop so I also charged in Glendale and Eloy. Eloy had amazing speed.
I'm going again next weekend and wish I could bypass Buckeye, plus with all the construction there it just takes much longer.
Buckeye is V3 250kw, so something's not quite right for you to get only 70 ish kw. I've seen that before in other V3s, I'd just move to a different plug in that case. Indio at 70ish kw can happen, since it's a V2 150kw and if you ever share with someone you'd be down to the 70s.

Buckeye is V3 250kw, so something's not quite right for you to get only 70 ish kw. I've seen that before in other V3s, I'd just move to a different plug in that case. Indio at 70ish kw can happen, since it's a V2 150kw and if you ever share with someone you'd be down to the 70s.
Yes I did move to a different plug and a couple others were only getting in the 70's as well. It seems everytime I stop in Buckeye it's like that. And I'd like to bypass Indio and stop at Cabazon anyways, besides slow charging in Indio, it's usually a 10 or so minute line. I see they installed many more stations there but none were online last weekend.

Last edited:
The one time I charged at Buckeye, it was slow also. Saw another response mentioned that V3 charger's now in place, so that would the one to use.
When I go to Rocky Point, I bypass all that construction near Buckeye, by using 303 south, then working west to 8. Not sure if that's an option for you.
I find that at 80, my car uses too many wh/mile. I usually run around 72, and am able to usually get showing milage, and SOC at destination showing does not drop.
Is charging at Culver's to get enough to reach chargers at Ehrenberg an option?

I’m driving to California and it’s 470 miles. My 2021 short range M3 is telling me there’s three stops at 40 minutes each.
ABRP is telling me three stops but one is 18 minutes one is 20 and one is 15 minutes.
I have all the default settings in there and don’t know why they’re such a discrepancy. The app is set to 237 W per mile at 65 miles an hour which I think that’s the default. The car is charged to 100% and says the range is 240 miles.
And in the app I even have the SOC set to 95%
My old 2014 P 85+ used to do the same trip with three stops in about 40 minutes each with a slow charging battery. Just wondering why my current car says it’s going to take so long at the stops.
The car knows all about itself of course, but it doesnt care about the arrival SoC, and always optimizes for fewest charge stops. You should spend some time studying all the options in ABRP, it's a powerful app but tends to be tricky to configure correctly (the convoluted UI doesnt help). 237W/mile at 65 mph sounds optimistic to me, which is probably the source of the discrepancy.

Over long trips I tend to do more' shorter stops (a) because I enjoy the breaks and (b) because it means I dont have to go to such low SoC levels, which avoids any anxiety over not reaching my next waypoint. So I tend to usr ABRP as a guide for the overall trip but trust the car for hop-to-hop SoC estimates.

The one time I charged at Buckeye, it was slow also. Saw another response mentioned that V3 charger's now in place, so that would the one to use.
When I go to Rocky Point, I bypass all that construction near Buckeye, by using 303 south, then working west to 8. Not sure if that's an option for you.
I find that at 80, my car uses too many wh/mile. I usually run around 72, and am able to usually get showing milage, and SOC at destination showing does not drop.
Is charging at Culver's to get enough to reach chargers at Ehrenberg an option?
If I do stop in Buckeye again. I will try to get one of those chargers. Quartsite is closer than Ehrenburg so that’s why I would try to make it there.
I may try to drive slower and see what happens next weekend and I also may stop in Eloy and see how much I can top off that could get me from there to Quartzsite and bypass Buckeye. Culver’s is Casa Grande and little closer to me than Eloy.