Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Going on vacation for 2 weeks - what should i do?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I will be going on vacation for 2 weeks, and wanted to know what should i do from charging perspective. Should I plug in the charger and let it charge or charge upto 80% and leave it as is.

there were some reports about battery getting drained and wanted to avoid any unwanted issues. please advise.

Thanks in advance.

I went away for two weeks about a month ago and one week after getting my 3. I left it plugged in in my garage set to 50% charge. It lost about 4% the first 24 hours and then about 1% per day thereafter. It started at about 75% charge so it never hit the 50% charge limit while I was away and thus didn’t charge.

No problems when I returned.

Two weeks isn't enough to even worry about. Two months, yes, do the 50% thing, but two weeks is peanuts. Just charge as normal and park it. The car sleeps deeper the longer you let it be, so don't keep checking with the App if you are not plugged in. Also make sure that all the energy saving settings are turned on, pre-condition is turned off, etc.

The battery is happiest at 50%
Where does this come from? I'm not charging mine until it's down to about 50% and another member insisted I leave it plugged in all the time and keep it fully charged (90%). See post in the thread below. From my read "regularly" doesn't mean every minute of every day. We are using the car regularly and charging it regularly.

First it won't turn on, now it won't turn off

Where does this come from? I'm not charging mine until it's down to about 50% and another member insisted I leave it plugged in all the time and keep it fully charged (90%). See post in the thread below. From my read "regularly" doesn't mean every minute of every day. We are using the car regularly and charging it regularly.

First it won't turn on, now it won't turn off
It comes from researching the topic over many years.
Any advice to keep the battery over 50% is a concession to practicality, which is a reasonable concession to make.
I usually charge to 90% then let the car run down to about 40% before plugging in again.
It’s all pretty academic if you stay between 20-90% as there’s barely any increase in degradation.
The only things that will seriously harm the battery is long (weeks) at 100% (esp. if hot weather), or letting it run dead-flat and leaving flat for days.

Is there any reason you can't just plug it in and leave it that way? I think we're over-thinking this. Best habit is to plug the car in whenever it's not being used.

There's very clear evidence that a lot of small charges is better than a fewer number of big ones, so the ICE model of waiting for the car to get down to (pick-a-number) of miles is the wrong approach. Just plug it in. If you're going to leave the car unused for months, then it's probably worth the next level of optimization, setting the charge level to 50%. Otherwise, just plug it in with the defaults, and the car will manage the rest.

Reactions: jerry33