Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Going on vacation. Should I leave it plugged in?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, Tesla's rule is ABC, Always Be Charging.

One reason for this sometime things happen. Like friends that went on a cruise this spring just before COVID and then with COVID the 2 week trip turned into over 6 weeks. So there is 0 risk with leaving it plugged in. And some, likely small risk to not plugging it in.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rocky_H
For such a short time whatever you are comfortable doing will be fine. When parked the Tesla vehicle will go into a sleep mode, periodically wake up to charge the 12V battery from the high voltage battery. The battery pack will lose 1 to 2 % of its charge per day. If you normally leave Sentry Mode active the you should leave the Tesla plugged in as the Tesla vehicle will not enter sleep mode while Sentry Mode is active. If you leave the vehicle plugged in just set the charge limit to your usual setting as long as it is not greater than 90%. If you decide to leave the Tesla unplugged just charge it to your usual charge level before you unplug the vehicle.

Reactions: IdaX
The battery pack will lose 1 to 2 % of its charge per day.
My Model 3 loses 1% every 6-7 days when asleep. Starting at 90%, it’d take over a year to get down to 15% if left unplugged. The biggest drain comes with the software updates, which hit on average every two weeks.

The safe, simple answer is to set it to 50% and plug it in. No need to charge it higher, as the battery would prefer to be lower anyway.

My Model 3 loses 1% every 6-7 days when asleep. Starting at 90%, it’d take over a year to get down to 15% if left unplugged. The biggest drain comes with the software updates, which hit on average every two weeks.

The safe, simple answer is to set it to 50% and plug it in. No need to charge it higher, as the battery would prefer to be lower anyway.
My Model Y seems to lose 1% per day. I do not have Sentry Mode active when parked at home. Maybe because the temperature is averaging in the 30s now.

For just a week I would not vary my usual charging routine/maximum charge level. If I was leaving the Model Y parked for several weeks, a month or or longer then I would set the charge limit to 50 or 60% while plugged in.

In the end, do whatever you feel comfortable with doing. The Model Y's battery pack is not fragile.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zoomit
Not sure why there is debate over the question. There is zero downside to leaving a Tesla plugged in. True, I don't think a Tesla would disintegrate if left unplugged for a few weeks, but then, what's the advantage of leaving the machine unplugged?

Rich
Several; If parked outside no one can tamper with your Mobile Connector or charging cord. In the spring and summer in many places that is when ground strike lightning is most frequent. It is always best to unplug any EV whenever lightning detected is within ~8 miles of your location. The likelihood of a lightning strike damaging an EV is pretty low but the potential damage to the wiring and electronics in the vehicle, even if plugged in but not actively charging, could be catastrophic, i.e. it would cost thousands to replace all of the wiring and components that were damaged due to a voltage spike.

Not sure why there is debate over the question. There is zero downside to leaving a Tesla plugged in. True, I don't think a Tesla would disintegrate if left unplugged for a few weeks, but then, what's the advantage of leaving the machine unplugged?

Rich

I agree...the Owner’s Manual couldn’t be more clear:

“About the Battery

Model Y has one of the most sophisticated battery systems in the world.

The most important way to preserve the Battery is to LEAVE YOUR VEHICLE PLUGGED IN when you are not using it. This is particularly important if you are not planning to drive Model Y for several weeks. When plugged in, Model Y wakes up when needed to automatically maintain a charge level that maximizes the lifetime of the Battery.”

Would be nice if there was a long term storage mode of sorts that set the battery to the exact optimal SoC, kept it there while plugged in, and sent a notification if charging failed repeatedly.

But to answer OP. Plugged in set to 50. Don’t worry about it.

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. You know that it can do all of that exactly already, right?
My understanding is that these batteries like to be somewhat below 50 for long term storage. I think only Tesla knows the exact number as it may be different for each chemistry. Also, for long term storage, I want to know if charging failed to start repeatedly. I only see notifications for "started, interrupted, completed." None of those I care about in long term storage.

Didn't mean to derail the thread. This was just a little nice to have feature request.

This was just a little nice to have feature request.
...which it already does.
My understanding is that these batteries like to be somewhat below 50 for long term storage.
That's extremely splitting hairs. You can set it for 50%, and that is about ideal for lithium ion batteries.
Also, for long term storage, I want to know if charging failed to start repeatedly. I only see notifications for "started, interrupted, completed." None of those I care about in long term storage.
So you do get those notifications. What do you think it's not showing?

I'll add that if you keep it plugged in and depend on it to top off your charge while gone, make sure you do not leave scheduled charging turned on. If anything happens to the MCU while you are away, the car will not charge.

Reactions: Jhom
I'm not sure why you decided to pick this silly battle. It literally doesn't do what I'm requesting. It's no big deal. Again, just a small feature request that would be nice. I'm going to walk away now so you can feel like you really crushed it on the internet today.

• Funny
Reactions: artnalex
I'm not sure why you decided to pick this silly battle. It literally doesn't do what I'm requesting. It's no big deal. Again, just a small feature request that would be nice. I'm going to walk away now so you can feel like you really crushed it on the internet today.
It literally does. I can't see anything you are asking for that it doesn't already do. It can be set at 50% for ideal long term storage level, and it will give you every single status change update of every charging session, as you are asking for. What else is there?

It's not a "battle", and I am really not trying to do anything bad to you at all or trying to "win" something. You just seem to be asking for something that already exists exactly the way you want, so I can't figure out what you are dissatisfied with.