Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Going on vacation. Should I leave it plugged in?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It literally does. I can't see anything you are asking for that it doesn't already do. It can be set at 50% for ideal long term storage level, and it will give you every single status change update of every charging session, as you are asking for. What else is there?

It's not a "battle", and I am really not trying to do anything bad to you at all or trying to "win" something. You just seem to be asking for something that already exists exactly the way you want, so I can't figure out what you are dissatisfied with.
I think he wanted the car to set the optimal SoC on it’s own.

Not sure why there is debate over the question. There is zero downside to leaving a Tesla plugged in. True, I don't think a Tesla would disintegrate if left unplugged for a few weeks, but then, what's the advantage of leaving the machine unplugged?

Rich
We don't all have garages - I park in the City on the street, usually right in front of my house, but can't leave it plugged in wo a cover over the cord across the sidewalk - Id like to get it charged to 70-80% then leave it in between trips, usually only once a week.

We don't all have garages - I park in the City on the street, usually right in front of my house, but can't leave it plugged in wo a cover over the cord across the sidewalk - Id like to get it charged to 70-80% then leave it in between trips, usually only once a week.
Then your options are as you described them (it). Just leave sentry mode off, don't check on the status of the vehicle with your app (wakes it up) and at the charge level you suggest leaving the Tesla of 70-80% a couple of weeks should not be an issue.

Rich

You could get a monthly contract in a parking garage where you might even be able to charge the Tesla vehicle.

You could get a monthly contract in a parking garage where you might even be able to charge the Tesla vehicle.
Good idea except for the cost in urban areas. Buddy of mine (who owned an ICE vehicle) kept his car in an indoor garage in Manhattan. Cost as much per month as an apartment would have run in many other parts of the country! Understand, in NYC, a car parked on a city street is considered as nothing more than spare parts free for the taking...

Rich

Reactions: DrGriz
Old thread, but I was wondering how you leave the car plugged in, I.e., with scheduled charging? I have scheduled charging for a departure of 6:30am each day. Should I turn this off and set it differently? Will be away for over a week.

Old thread, but I was wondering how you leave the car plugged in, I.e., with scheduled charging? I have scheduled charging for a departure of 6:30am each day. Should I turn this off and set it differently? Will be away for over a week.

I would turn off the departure timer if it also preconditions. No sense wasting electricity when you aren't home. For a week, I wouldn't even plug the car in, but that's just me. Set it at 60% and forget about it.

Reactions: beezy and dcfas
Scheduled charge setting won’t matter either way. If it’s at the limit (or within 1-2% or so) it won’t try to charge. Or just turn it off.

As the other comment mentioned, just be sure to at least turn off departure preconditioning so it doesn’t waste power heating/cooling the cabin.

Reactions: Rocky_H and dcfas
If you can plugged-in in a safe location then just leave it plugged in. If not, then turn off sentry/cabin temperature protection/preconditioning and leave it off. I have experience in both, plugged for few weeks and also leave it off for 5 weeks (lost around 25-30% or so), just make sure you don't constantly checking it in the app to prevent it from going to sleep.

Reactions: dcfas
If you can plugged-in in a safe location then just leave it plugged in. If not, then turn off sentry/cabin temperature protection/preconditioning and leave it off. I have experience in both, plugged for few weeks and also leave it off for 5 weeks (lost around 25-30% or so), just make sure you don't constantly checking it in the app to prevent it from going to sleep.

3/Y should lose less than ten percent over the course of a month. Big improvement compared to first gen S/X.

Reactions: cbdream99 and dcfas
I agree...the Owner’s Manual couldn’t be more clear:

“About the Battery

Model Y has one of the most sophisticated battery systems in the world.

The most important way to preserve the Battery is to LEAVE YOUR VEHICLE PLUGGED IN when you are not using it. This is particularly important if you are not planning to drive Model Y for several weeks. When plugged in, Model Y wakes up when needed to automatically maintain a charge level that maximizes the lifetime of the Battery.”

If plugged in unattended, how may it handle any potential power surges, lightning, etc.?