Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Going Plaid

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The speed on the straights is incredible. Allan he's at least +20mph vs. your M3P at the end of the front straight, and he's >100mph at start/finish. Absolutely agree there is some room for improvement in the corners. When the Viper ACR set the record at Laguna, you can see the driver is far, far more aggressive. (It also has a lot more grip and pulls much harder above 100mph)

Reactions: wallet.dat
The speed on the straights is incredible. Allan he's at least +20mph vs. your M3P at the end of the front straight, and he's >100mph at start/finish. Absolutely agree there is some room for improvement in the corners. When the Viper ACR set the record at Laguna, you can see the driver is far, far more aggressive. (It also has a lot more grip and pulls much harder above 100mph)

Yep. The S was hitting 128mph at end of turn 1. Then hit triple digit again before 5, 6 and 8a/b. Just raw power.

I think the driver is good, might be even a factory pro-driver. Let's not forget he is driving a prototype, and for all we know it might be the only prototype in the world at this time. The worst thing he could do is push the prototype/development too hard and kill it, put a fork in it, go home, no more data collection.

Last edited:
I don't think it will be anytime soon, this is just a development car for the next gen S that's probably at least another 3 years out since you still have important projects like the Y, Truck, and Roadster2. Elon just showed his car early because of Taycan and wanting to stay relevant.

Production is ~1 year away as cited by Elon himself in a tweet today. It is also same powertrain that will be in Roadster 2 and X for the Plaid option.

Reactions: wallet.dat
1. Elon time
2. He didn't say which of the 3 car will get the option first. I bet it will be the Roaster 2 follow by S and X in another year's time.

1. And it should add another 2 years for a drive-train already in prototype form because why? Atleast provide context for your thinking. We all know delays are possible with anything Tesla.

2. If production starts in a year, it'd make sense that all product lines would get the same option and that should be the basic assumption. Just like the Raven update recently hit both the S and X simultaneously. It'd have to be some atypical conditions to separate their implementation by any significant margin. Roadster may come first or last, but I'm sure the S/X would get the treatment simultaneously.

Reactions: Nocturnal
The ultimate comparison I want to see is to find a race track, build all those electric chargers and run a 24 hour endurance race for EV only.
That would obviously be a totally different kind of race. Lots of other considerations come in, like recharge rates, charge tapers, in addition to the car's track performance. Then you'll have people complain of special "prototype" charge tapers that you won't see in a production vehicle, etc.

That would obviously be a totally different kind of race. Lots of other considerations come in, like recharge rates, charge tapers, in addition to the car's track performance. Then you'll have people complain of special "prototype" charge tapers that you won't see in a production vehicle, etc.
Then you can enforce the rules like using the same battery and power train as production cars. While I believe a charging technology can handle 24 hour endurance racing would be not too far from production available.