TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Going reverse while in "D" mode?

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by eddie11228, Mar 29, 2015.

1. eddie11228

eddie11228 Member

I've only owned my S85D for only a week. So far it's been pretty amazing. The car is much longer and wider than I initially thought. But the acceleration, technology, and smoothness of the ride is just the best. It's clearer to me than ever that this is the future of cars.

However, I do have a pet peeve. Idk if it's an issue or just the way the car is. I've noticed that when I'm parking and I put the car in "D" (forward drive), the car would sometimes creep backwards. Conversely, sometimes when I'm parking in "R", the car still creeps forward. It's like the car is in neutral and rolling according to its last mode or maybe to the slope of the road. Today I was parking in a tight spot on a sloped street, this "issue" made it much more difficult to park than it should have been. I had it in "R", but it was going forward. So I tapped the accelerator a bit to get it to go backwards. But in the tight spot, I can only accelerate a little at a time, which resulted in the car seemingly rocking back and forth. For the record, I do have creep turned off. In my previous ICE cars, when I'm in drive, the car would never go backwards. Vice versa, the ICE car would never go forward when i'm in reverse.

Is this an expected behavior of an EV or is it an issue worth looking into?

Thanks!

2. islandbayy

islandbayy Active Member

Without Creep Mode on, the car is essentially in Neutral when you take your foot off the accelerator. If you press the brake, then release it while on a slope of just about any kind, it will hill hold for 1 second before it returns to neutral. Personally, I love creep mode. It would, for the most part, accept on steeper slopes, eliminate your issue.

3. trils0n

trils0n 2013 P85

The Model S will certainly roll when in drive or reverse, when not on level ground. There is a hill hold function that keeps it from rolling backwards when on a hill in D, but takes a certain slope hill to activate.

Edit: islandbayy beat me to it. :smile:

4. Nappe

Nappe Member

I am also a new S85D owner and I have the same challenge backing into my garage up a slight incline. I expected it, because there is no transmission. The following blog post has an interesting discussion on the topic.

Clutches and Creep | Tesla Living

I'm getting a feel for subtle pedal movements, but you may want to try creep and see if you like that better.

5. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

To the OP: if you have Creep Mode off and when you bring the car to a full stop, then take your foot off the brake and notice the car rolls forward or backward that is because you are not on level ground. It's as simple as that.

Try turning Creep on and see if you like that better.

I prefer Creep off in my S. A year later I bought a Roadster. In that car there is no way to turn Creep off, it is the default and only state. I switch back and forth between the two Teslas. Not a problem but wish the Roadster had no "creep".

6. eddie11228

eddie11228 Member

thanks everyone for their input. i will give creep a try and see if that helps.

i wonder though, if the creep is strong enough to counteract a steeper slope. I don't encounter sloped streets often, so I'll just have to wait till the next time to try this out.

7. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

"hill assist"

Hill Hold is different from what Tesla implemented, which -- I believe -- is why they chose a different name for the feature.

8. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

It is not but that is what the Hill Assist feature is for. It works very well.

9. mikeash

mikeash Active Member

I've never seen a car where a sufficient slope couldn't overpower the creep and send you in the opposite direction from what you had selected. All you're seeing is the lack of creep on the Model S. Turn it on, and you'll be just like any other car: you'll roll in the selected direction when on relatively level ground, but steeper inclines will still overpower it.

10. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

I use the ability to roll on a slope every day when I park. You never have to shift.

11. Blu Zap

Blu Zap Grinning member

I tried running without creep. It was just too challenging/dangerous. In all situations, parking, backing out of the garage, etc. I am so worried about slamming a curb or getting over a bump getting into the garage, creep takes care of it all. The downside is i have to use the brakes when I come to a complete stop. But timed correctly, that is not a big deal.

12. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

I much prefer no creep. It's easy to control the car from rolling by using input on the accelerator pedal.

13. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

I found creep on to be far more dangerous because the car wants to move.