Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Going to a US Service Centre or mobile service?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Planning to do a long US road trip this summer. If for some reason my Tesla needs attention when I cross the border, will they service my Canadian Model 3?

On that note, what does it cost in Canada for Tesla to replace the 12V battery? Wondering if I would be saving much by buying my own battery and replacing it myself.

My assumption is that your car would be serviced, regardless of location, especially if under warranty. Also in reality, it is kinda hard to find a "regular" garage that is knowledgeable about EV's and where the actual 12V battery is located. Are you asking about the battery because you suspect that it is starting to show signs of age? Personally I would get this done here before engaging on such a trip. I like to stack the odds in my favour. My mantra has always been to plan for the worst as hope is never a good strategy.

Reactions: KevinT3141
I second that. Consider where you will live or be at most of the time. If the battery fails or has issues (I know it's rare) but having that battery warranty covered is a nice to have instead of trying to save a few dollars. So if you are living in Toronto for the foreseeable future get the battery in Toronto.

My assumption is that your car would be serviced, regardless of location, especially if under warranty. Also in reality, it is kinda hard to find a "regular" garage that is knowledgeable about EV's and where the actual 12V battery is located. Are you asking about the battery because you suspect that it is starting to show signs of age? Personally I would get this done here before engaging on such a trip. I like to stack the odds in my favour. My mantra has always been to plan for the worst as hope is never a good strategy.

Car is already 5 years old now, so no more basic 4 year warranty. This was one of the things I wish I had the foresight to do before the warranty expired.

Just hoping someone who has experience with out of country service confirm whether they'll look at it. But the battery is the main thing and I do plan to do it before the trip, just whether pay Tesla to do it, or I hit up Costco for a battery and do it myself.

I second that. Consider where you will live or be at most of the time. If the battery fails or has issues (I know it's rare) but having that battery warranty covered is a nice to have instead of trying to save a few dollars. So if you are living in Toronto for the foreseeable future get the battery in Toronto.

What's the warranty if Tesla changes it?

When I was sitting at the St Bruno center in Quebec there we two cars from the US in for warranty work.

The issue with the legacy cars is dealers and they guard their territory and live to rob you blind. Seeing as though Tesla has no dealers there is no territory to guard.

Reactions: KevinT3141