Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Going to El Mirage Dry Lake Bed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

BLKMDL3

Supporting Member
Tomorrow, I am taking my Model 3 to El Mirage dry lake bed. I'm leaving LA around 9, then charging at Rancho Cucamonga to minimize range anxiety. Then I am going to do some runs there and head towards Palmdale to go to a restaurant called Vincent Hill Station that has 3 HPWC. Then making my way back to LA. I did a full chrome delete on the car then stripped everything but the wheels to decide what I will do instead (matte, satin, gloss) Any suggestions are welcome! @Az_Rael Was your old profile pic of your S at the lake bed? Super excited! Trying to hit 130MPH! and do a donut or 2.

Sweet! No, my old profile pic was taken off of Willow Springs road on the way to Tehachapi. I haven’t actually ever made it out to El Mirage. I hope you take some good photos! That seems like a perfect opportunity for some drone shots, although I haven’t ever checked the airspace restrictions (if any).

Vincent Hill is a pretty good steakhouse - I didn’t realize they had HPWCs. If you have a Chademo adapter, there is a level 3 in Palmdale as well as in Santa Clarita - although I haven’t actually tried the stations with my 3 yet.

Sweet! No, my old profile pic was taken off of Willow Springs road on the way to Tehachapi. I haven’t actually ever made it out to El Mirage. I hope you take some good photos! That seems like a perfect opportunity for some drone shots, although I haven’t ever checked the airspace restrictions (if any).

Vincent Hill is a pretty good steakhouse - I didn’t realize they had HPWCs. If you have a Chademo adapter, there is a level 3 in Palmdale as well as in Santa Clarita - although I haven’t actually tried the stations with my 3 yet.
I think the chargers are brand new. haven't seen them before. I dont think you are allowed to bring drones :(

Its frowned upon by the local airfield, since they now have to look out not to hit you (But they almost NEVER fly on Sundays). There are often people flying RC planes out there - its not restricted airspace.

Take the drone! But if you see bigger drones....keep yours under 500ft...

I used to hang glide out there ... up several thousand feet.

Spent the day with a good-sized group.

I don't recall any air traffic conflicts or concerns.

Leaving in 15 mins. Starting with 100% charge. Going for lunch at Vincent hill. 3 HPWCs at 16kw. Not bringing my DJI phantom will hold off until I go back in the next month. Will get to Vincent Hill with 74% then charge to almost 100% while eating and get to lake bed with 86%. I have 57% to spare to use there in order to make it home. Thats 176 miles to use unlikely ill use it all. Will post ETA to Vincent Hill if anyone wants to see the car while it's still clean.

Reactions: tracksyde
Leaving in 15 mins. Starting with 100% charge. Going for lunch at Vincent hill. 3 HPWCs at 16kw. Not bringing my DJI phantom will hold off until I go back in the next month. Will get to Vincent Hill with 74% then charge to almost 100% while eating and get to lake bed with 86%. I have 57% to spare to use there in order to make it home. Thats 176 miles to use unlikely ill use it all. Will post ETA to Vincent Hill if anyone wants to see the car while it's still clean.
I've got way too much to do today to join in, unfortunately. Are you heading out there as part of an organized event or just going solo?

Hey, maybe a little lake bed Tesla meetup could be organized for your next trip out? @Az_Rael, would you and hubs be interested? I haven't taken my S out to El Mirage... I've been out to Cinder dry lake with it (near Inyo), but Cinder is too small to be much more than a beautiful photo location. Thoughts?

I've got way too much to do today to join in, unfortunately. Are you heading out there as part of an organized event or just going solo?

Hey, maybe a little lake bed Tesla meetup could be organized for your next trip out? @Az_Rael, would you and hubs be interested? I haven't taken my S out to El Mirage... I've been out to Cinder dry lake with it (near Inyo), but Cinder is too small to be much more than a beautiful photo location. Thoughts?
I’d do it. Just going alone

That sounds like it would be fun! We would be interested, I think. Although I probably wouldn’t be testing the limits of my car, the Mr. might want to have some fun in his. :)

We only hit 108. Did some donuts. In the last pic you will see motorcyclists doing wheelies next to it. More info coming soon
IMG_1626.jpg
IMG_1632.jpg
IMG_1621.jpg
Screen Shot 2018-02-12 at 9.22.21 AM.png
IMG_1619.jpg
IMG_1616 2.jpg

We left our house at around 10:35AM. We drove at about 85MPH to Vincent Hill Station. Then we got there and we ate for about an hour and charged at 48AMPS. We added about 40 miles and left for the lake bed. We took the 14-138 to the 18. We averaged 60mph on our way there to be aware of potholes as they are a common sight in that area from some experience. We get there, pay our $15 and say goodbye to our nice clean Model 3. We go onto the lake bed and scope the situation and there was few motorcycles but nothing bad. We go to the other end and just go for it. 0-75 is quick but after 85 it slows down, especially after 100MPH. We did not want to go over 110 as there was still other people there. We made it back to Los Angeles using Avenue T through Palmdale and took 14-5-405 home. We reached home with 28% left. It could have been more but we were exceeding speed limit by 15MPH and windows open for part of the way. We really need to schedule a Tesla event there. Drag races, food, and more. Also car was washed immediately with three roads of foaming with the foam cannon. The dirt was very fresh and very loose so it came off with a light rinse.

Reactions: Az_Rael
I haven't ever been to El Mirage, it just a free for all on the lakebed, or do they have some lanes/ direction guides for traffic?
It's a free for all, except when there is an SCTA meet. They use it for setting land speed records. Right now is the 'off season', next race is May 19-20. The lakebed is closed to all if there has been any rain. Driving in the mud leaves deep gouges which can stop competition events.

You might notice how familiar El Mirage looks. It has been used for hundreds if not thousands of movies, TV shows, and commercials.

I haven't ever been to El Mirage, it just a free for all on the lakebed, or do they have some lanes/ direction guides for traffic?

free for all. Cost $15 for a day pass so its pretty cheap

Yup, generally a free for all. Granted, enthusiast organizations do set up controlled land speed events on the lakebed from time to time and that's when you end up an actual measured course that's closed to cross-traffic, safety rules, etc.