TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Going to Factory Tour tomorrow 02/22

Discussion in 'Model X' started by ModelXBoy, Feb 21, 2016.

1. ModelXBoy

ModelXBoy No More Door Captain of TMC! Oh Yeah Baby!

Hey guy

I will be attending the Tesla Factory Tour tomorrow 02/22, and i will keep my eyes big in searching for those Model Xs! Hopefully I can see all the new Model Xs on the line for production! Peace out!

2. elguapo

elguapo Member

Can't wait to hear about it and if you see some/many Xs on the line. I am going in early April for the tour - I hope I have my X before the tour!

3. vjlvjl

vjlvjl Bluebird

Could you please find out what's the best day to tour the factory. My understanding is that the factory runs "fuller" on 4 days of the week, and "slower"/"less busy" on the fifth day. Thank you.

4. ModelXBoy

Just arrived in Fremont, excited for tomorrow tour. Let me see those Xs pleassseeee!

5. JimVandegriff

JimVandegriff Member

I'm looking forward to hearing about your experiences today at the factory as well.

6. PaulRocket

PaulRocket Member

It would be very useful to know what the mix of S and X are on the production line.

7. ModelXBoy

I will come back and report what i see. Since there is no camera allowed, i will do my best explaining the production activity. Hopefully it's something cheerful!

8. Park2670

Park2670 Member

I need to find a way to get back there. Its been two years since I was there.

9. ModelXBoy

Hey guys

Just came back from the factory tour, the tour was great but we did not really tour the Model X line, just Model S. But i saw around 30 Model Xs are currently in production and maybe more. Since we did not see the X line, there could be more Xs. The production is definitely moving, majority of the machines are not operating, maybe half of the robots are moving around. Let's keep the fingers crossed, the Xs might be here sooner than we thought.

10. maoing

maoing Active Member

Thanks for sharing. If you didn't see X line, how did you count 30 in production?

So at least half of the machines/robots currently not working even for S line?

11. elguapo

elguapo Member

Umm...I thought there was only one line right now? My understanding was both the S and X are coming off of the first line. The few photos we've seen have been consistent with that line of thought. Are they now actually running two separate lines?

12. ModelXBoy

We were touring the Model S line today. The Model X line did not get exposed but according to the tour person, the Model X is in Line 2! We are touring the line 1 right now because line 2 is almost the same procedure just for the Model X. I think they don't really want to let people see the Model X line.

In regards to the number 30 for the Xs, I counted roughly by eyeballing. The tram is moving very fast especially near the Model X production setting. A group of Model Xs are parked in line, and another group of Model X are getting ready for the paint. I think they may have made a separate line for Model X to ramp up the production.

BTW, No camera, cellphones or anything to capture in image or video are allowed anywhere in the factory.

13. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

The way I understand it is there are 2 body lines and 1 final assembly line. They will eventually migrate both S and X production to the second (newer) body line.

14. CaliX

CaliX Member

How is the newer body line different? Is it more advance for the X?

15. elguapo

elguapo Member

It's more expensive and a bit slower... :)

16. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

From what I recall reading and hearing on quarterly conference calls, it's supposed to be more flexible to handle both X and S, and higher capacity to push both of those models through at full run rates.

17. CrashNBurns

CrashNBurns New Member

Any time with the cars themselves?

Hey ModelXBoy -- as part of the tour, do you get to spend any up-close-and-personal time with the cars themselves, specifically the Model X? Or is this just seeing the factory.

Thanks.

18. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

The factory tour is "just" seeing the factory (which of course is a huge thrill and well worth it). It does not include any up close time with the current versions of the S and the X.

19. Darryl

Darryl ModelXTracker.com Co-Adm

There are two lines. The original S line and a new line which is currently dedicated to X. Eventually the new line will do both S and X and they will use the old S line for Model 3. One thing that amazed me is even though they use a lot of automation and robotics most of the work is done by people.

20. digicool

digicool Member

I last recall a special invite was needed for the factory tour. At what point in the order process they give out an invite? Thanks.