Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Going to Falcon Heavy launch discussion

Do you plan to see the launch?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been looking for the best place to watch the launch, but cannot make up my mind as I've never been there!
Going to take the Model S and hook up a tent to the back of it and test the new camper mode if all goes as planned with the launch schedule! Hoping to get a few pictures with my Canon 6D 200mm but It may not zoom in far enough on some locations!

There's:

Space View Park
Max Brewer Bridge
Kennedy Visitor Complex
Rotary Riverfront

I know there's a few in Titusville as well but haven't looked as deep into them yet!

Reactions: Grendal
I booked an Airbnb in Port Canaveral for the week after Xmas. It’s also my first time viewing a SpaceX launch so I’m not really sure either.

I’ve been leaning towards jetty Park, just for a better glimpse of landing.

Then again, Elon is saying chances of failure is high so I’m also considering the NASA causeway.

These are all very tentative so I will be spending free time trying to figure out where I’ll be.

Hope people offer some good recommendations here.

I’ve lived in Florida, less than 60 miles from Kennedy space center, for 10 years now and I still haven’t managed to make it out to the cape to see a rocket launch. If it’s a clear day, I can actually see the rockets from my front porch as they go up, but I feel like it would be a better experience to be closer and I’m thinking that I may try to make this one a priority. However, I really don’t know anything about the logistics of actually going to watch a rocket launch.

Can you get a good view from anywhere without buying tickets? I’m not against buying tickets, however not knowing the date it makes it particularly difficult. If it happens on a weekend then I’ll have my kids with me and I’ll need tickets for them, but if it happens on a weekday then they wouldn’t be there. If it happens between 1/30 and 2/11 then my parents will be visiting and I’ll need tickets for them as well, but if it’s before or after that, then they won’t be in town and won’t need tickets. Will the tickets likely sell out before or shortly after the date is announced?

If a ticket is the only option and they will likely sell out then I may just bite the bullet and get five tickets just to be safe. But I’d hate to purchase five tickets and then have it happen on a day where I was the only one who could actually make it if I could avoid it.

Any other tips for a first time launch viewer?

Thanks much:)

Wow - KSC is really scalping people on those tickets.

Between gas, hotel, and rental car to get to the launch from Michigan, the tickets are likely the cheapest part of the trip.
Feel the Heat includes:
Catered lunch, two drink tickets, champagne + commemorative flute: $50
SpaceX hat: $20
2 days of admission 50*2 or $75 for multiday pass

Being 3.9 miles from 27 Merlin engines: priceless

They need the money:rolleyes:
The Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex is entirely self/ visitor funded.

Any other tips for a first time launch viewer?

I mentioned it here on TMC once, but maybe not in this thread. Keep in mind that Falcon Heavy launches from LC-39A. That's the same launch pad that the Space Shuttle launched from. Any google results for "space shuttle launch viewing" would apply.

You have a few main categories of options:

• Premium ("Feel the Heat") tickets - closest the public can get to the pad
  • Less expensive (KSC Visitor Center) tickets - on-site, so closer than you would get without a ticket, but you can't see the rocket on the pad - these are just regular general admission tickets, but they can reach capacity and sell out on launch days
  • Various public parks on the main land - 12 miles or more away - I saw STS-131 this way in 2010 and just followed the crowds of people in the early morning before sunrise - likely won't have as large of crowds for this one since STS-131 was as the Shuttle program was winding down
All are great options really

Reactions: Kacey Green

I mentioned it here on TMC once, but maybe not in this thread. Keep in mind that Falcon Heavy launches from LC-39A. That's the same launch pad that the Space Shuttle launched from. Any google results for "space shuttle launch viewing" would apply.

You have a few main categories of options:

• Premium ("Feel the Heat") tickets - closest the public can get to the pad
  • Less expensive (KSC Visitor Center) tickets - on-site, so closer than you would get without a ticket, but you can't see the rocket on the pad - these are just regular general admission tickets, but they can reach capacity and sell out on launch days
  • Various public parks on the main land - 12 miles or more away - I saw STS-131 this way in 2010 and just followed the crowds of people in the early morning before sunrise - likely won't have as large of crowds for this one since STS-131 was as the Shuttle program was winding down
All are great options really

One heads up regarding launch day from the package information:

Due to the special nature and high demand of this launch, and the various package options, this launch day will be a “blackout” date for other forms of admission. No other tickets will be redeemable on the day of the launch including annual passes, employee complimentary tickets, vouchers and any pre-paid admission tickets.

Playalinda Beach may remain open for FH. It's demarked in (public park) green on Google maps, north of 39A and 39B pads. KSC, "feel the heat", etc., can be seen on those maps too, relative to the pads (on shore). I'd say the beach looks like it is about the same 3.5 mile distance away. This is also a known launch observation point. Free, I assume.

The SpaceX landing zone is south, what looks like ~5 miles of KSC, maybe 7-8 down from the beach.

It is kind of crazy to scout this out, and not be sure of specific launch timing or observation points. Fair warning, it also appears Playalinda tolerates nude sun-bathing. Here's a (safer) pic:

224533_2330931071947_1209850354_2852706_3619580_n1-425x288.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: copyhacker