Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Going to order a new Model 3 performance. Should I consider the long range AWD?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First off let me start by saying I love fast cars(currently have a C5 Z06 as my toy) so that is why I am pretty well set on the Model 3 performance. But as I look at the price difference it seems 8k is fairly steep and almost makes me want to consider just ordering the long range Model 3.

0-60 in 3.2 vs 3.9 is fairly significant but not sure it's worth justifying the 8k. Looking for any advice from owners to tip the scales for me. haha

Haha. One thing to remember when it comes to the 8k difference is that there will absolutely be a difference in resale value as well. So you're not out the full 8k necessarily. The LR AWD has the option to purchase a performance boost (I think it is still available) which makes it faster but not as fast as the P. The P has slightly lower suspension and larger wheels (which isn't necessarily a good thing depending on where you live). If you're coming from a Z06 and want to get the fastest option available the P is the obvious choice.

• Helpful
Reactions: Ormond
It really depends on your goals and budget. I think the biggest questions are:
  • Will you ever track the car (autocross or road course)? If so, track mode is a must have.
  • Will you regret not getting the "best" with the Performance model? Given that you have a Z06, my guess is yes :)
If the answer to either of these question is yes, then I'd recommend going with the M3P.

The main advantages of the Performance are:
  • Track Mode (Cooling, Traction/Stability control, Power/Handling distribution, drifting/donuts, etc.)
  • Better Brakes
  • Slightly better launch (~0-40mph)
The advantages of the Long Range AWD are:
  • Cheaper/better value
  • With the $2k acceleration boost (AB), it's nearly as fast as the M3P. There are videos of it being equal or even beating the M3P from a roll.
  • Option for smaller 18" wheels (more aerodynamic/better range, lighter, and less likely to curb).
I wish Tesla still offered a "Stealth" Performance model with Track Mode and the 18" aero wheels. It would be fairly easy for them to also alter the 18" aero wheel design to clear the Performance brakes.

In terms of acceleration, there's not a huge difference if you get the LR w/ AB. From 50+ mph they'll be nearly identical in acceleration. The SoC, battery temp, and weight will likely determine the winner.

M3P:
0-60mph: ~3.2-3.3 seconds (3.1 w/ 1-ft rollout)
1/4 mile: ~11.5 @ 116 mph

M3 LR w/ AB:
0-60mph: ~3.6-3.7 seconds (3.5 w/ 1-ft rollout)
1/4 mile: ~11.8 @ 117 mph

There's roughly a 0.3 second difference between their 0-40 mph times. After that, the acceleration is quite similar and the M3 LR w/AB may have a slightly higher 1/4 mile trap speed. Of course, the M3P has higher potential with its rear motor (980 IPM-SynRM) and will be always be faster given all variables are equal. The later 2022+ M3P models should also be receiving the 3D6 hairpin wound rear stator. This theoretically means higher power limits, better heat dissipation & improved efficiency. Tesla could someday provide another power boost to M3P making it even faster.. but then it may begin stepping on the Model S' toes. There's at least another 16kW (~20 whp) available as seen with the MYP. The M3P is just being software limited given the same hardware as the MYP.

Suspension-wise, the M3P isn't any lower than LR. People have measured the 2021+ refreshed models and they're the same height. If anything, the M3P seems to be slightly higher by a few millimeters. That's not to say there isn't a difference in the suspension (they have different part #s). The M3P suspension is a bit stiffer, but still not great by any means for a "sportscar". A set of Ohlins would improve ride quality and performance.

But as others have said, you'll probably prefer the M3P given that you have a C5 Z06.. especially if you have the 03-04.

Depends is the car just going to be a daily or will it possibly see track use? If yes to track use then for sure performance. The LR is a great daily and plenty fast for any city driving.

If you really want to track a Performance you'll likely be swapping suspension wheels/tires as stock of both are not really track focused.

LRAWD is the perfect compromise vehicle.

I wish Tesla still offered a stealth performance or even better a track focused vehicle, Nurspec or whatever. Polestar 2 with the Ohlins suspension with the performance package and power boost is probably more track suited albeit without track mode which points to, again, Tesla's software superiority.

@Blacktes24 As a recent M3P purchaser I agree the $8k premium is steep, especially since the extra power is only at low speeds. Punch the LR and P at highway speeds (e.g. 70+ mph) and they'll feel the same. Lots of measured acceleration tests back this up.

But as a performance-minded driver, former track day enthusiast, etc - I'm very, very glad I didn't settle for the LR. I find Track Mode is essential to my full enjoyment of this car. There is no official way to dial back the nannies without it, and they can be intrusive. Track Mode also lets you crank up the one-pedal regen extra strong, which feels great when tearing up twisty back roads. And I find the handling balance setting useful to tame the car's RWD tendencies for those times when I don't want power oversteer on tap.

Also the P has legit better brakes. That appeals to me. Do I need them in my street driving? Not really, but I sure like having them. Brakes can be upgraded of course but between the brakes, extra acceleration, and Track Mode...I don't think it makes sense to buy an LR just to dump thousands on a BBK and $2k more on AB and still end up slower and without Track Mode. (Also without Track Mode's extra strong regen, I would have more need of better brakes...so that's a double whammy against the LR if you loving tearing up the twisties.)

If the ability to power slide (in the snow or otherwise) doesn't appeal...if hamming on the power coming out of a turn doesn't appeal...if having stronger regen AND stronger brakes doesn't appeal...then save your money and get an LR. For most drivers on the road the P offers nothing useful over the LR. That's why the LR wildly outsells the P, and that's as it should be. But you're here asking about performance, coming from a Z06 Vette...get yourself a P. :)

Edit: I barely even care about the P's extra acceleration, that's just a minor side benefit to me. Track Mode is #1 reason I got a P, and the brakes are #2. The acceleration is a distant #3. Also the heavy, fragile M3P wheels are pure downside for me, I ditched them ASAP so I don't have to deal with more cracked Tesla wheels. The car now grips, steers, and rides better on lighter, smaller-diameter wheels with better tires. But I don't regret the P in the slightest!

Last edited:
I'll also say this...the first time I bought a car, I bought only the 2nd fastest, 2nd most fun version of it. I really liked that car, it was exactly what I wanted at the time, but within 2 years I regretted not getting the top version. From then on I've always bought the top-performing or most fun version of a car (not necessarily the most expensive version!), and always been very glad I did.

Don't get me wrong, I have my limits of course, I'm not saying if I bought a 911 it would be a GT2 RS. 🤪 But among cars without such stratospheric high ends, I want the most fun one. Heck even with a 911 I don't think I would settle for less than a GT3...if I couldn't responsibly afford a decent one, I'd wait and save until I could.

Also this philosophy applies new or used, but only within a given generation of the car. This does NOT apply to buying a pickup or other utility-focused vehicle. (Though because we like EVs, and could actually use a pickup these days, we may end up with a ridiculously fast EV pickup in the next few years. 🤦‍♂️)

Last edited:
EVolv3ds post pretty much nails it.

If you plan to track the car- get the P- there's no substitute for track mode in that case.

if you do NOT plan to track it, get the AWD and acceleration boost. $6000 cheaper, better range, much-less-easy-to-damage-wheels with cheaper tires available, and you're still quicker to 60 than your C5z.... (and nearly all of the remaining difference between AWD+ and P is under 45 mph anyway).

Some data breakdown below

LRAWD2.png

Thanks all for all of the replies! I've read them all and still going back and forth on my decision. It's nice to know the AWD LR with the boost is closer or even the same from 40 mph on but I really like launching and the out of the hole speed.

I wont be taking the car to the track ever. Or most likely never. I just like to have some fun out where it's safe.

To another reply it won't be a daily driver. I drive the z06 about 2k miles a year. Granted the Model 3 will be driven more than that but it won't get 8-10k miles a year or anything like that.

I'll post my decision soon. And maybe I should go and drive them first to make my decision easier! Thanks all!

FWIW I don't think you can test drive an AWD with the boost (unless there's a used one around), as Tesla treats boost as a post-purchase add-on....so the only thing they're likely to have is either a regular AWD or a P.

Also- Tesla appears to have very recently removed the different suspension the P used to get (it lowered the car 0.4 inches and was a tiny bit stiffer)- so depending when the P you test drive was built you may or may not get a representative ride of what a new order would get you (which in theory would be the same suspension as comes on the AWD now, just on 18s instead of 20s)

Thanks all for all of the replies! I've read them all and still going back and forth on my decision. It's nice to know the AWD LR with the boost is closer or even the same from 40 mph on but I really like launching and the out of the hole speed.

I wont be taking the car to the track ever. Or most likely never. I just like to have some fun out where it's safe.

To another reply it won't be a daily driver. I drive the z06 about 2k miles a year. Granted the Model 3 will be driven more than that but it won't get 8-10k miles a year or anything like that.

I'll post my decision soon. And maybe I should go and drive them first to make my decision easier! Thanks all!

I had same decision last year. Brakes and stock tire choice pushed me to the P. If your going to take the car on back roads and drive it aggressively then consider that unless your going to change the tires/wheels.

If it’s just to daily around then I’d prob save the money. But I wanted the option of both.

The butt dyno feels about the same to me. Between 0- speed limit. And I’m coming from faster cars.

First off let me start by saying I love fast cars(currently have a C5 Z06 as my toy) so that is why I am pretty well set on the Model 3 performance. But as I look at the price difference it seems 8k is fairly steep and almost makes me want to consider just ordering the long range Model 3.

0-60 in 3.2 vs 3.9 is fairly significant but not sure it's worth justifying the 8k. Looking for any advice from owners to tip the scales for me. haha
We have a m3 plus. Model 3 dual motor long range with the boost. Plenty fast. Not sure if the boost is currently available. Some refer to this as a stealth model

We have a m3 plus. Model 3 dual motor long range with the boost. Plenty fast. Not sure if the boost is currently available. Some refer to this as a stealth model

Nope.

A "stealth" is an actual performance model that just doesn't have the 0.5" lower suspension, bigger brakes, and 20" wheels.

It's still 3 flat 0-60 and has track mode, neither of which is true of an AWD with boost.

They were available for straight up order in 2018- in fact they were originally the base performance trim, with the additional stuff that's now standard on the P being a $5000 add-on. These were most commonly referred to as the P3D- and P3D+ (that being + or - the $5000 added package). Some P3D- owners found the - insulting and began using "stealth" because they like to type extra letters :)

By later in 2018 they were no longer on the menu, though they continued to be available sporadically, as occasionally a batch would show up in inventory. Haven't heard of any in a while but haven't really been looking either.

Reactions: Tomc62 and tm1v2