Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Going to order a new Model 3 performance. Should I consider the long range AWD?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Test drive both. I really like the P, but after the pack upgrade last year the LR is really fast. I can afford either but decided on the LR after taking them both for a spin. You basically can't go wrong either way; it's a preference thing.

Out of curiosity, how much does the 18” aero wheels with covers and tire set up contribute to the additional range of the LR vs Performance? I think it’s an additional 50+ mile increase?
@JawKnee I think this was well covered, but the wheels+tires are the entire range difference between M3P vs M3LR. Or at least 95% of it (ballpark percentage 😁).

It's plausible the PUP brakes have more drag than the base brakes but I doubt it, I don't think Tesla lets brake drag be an issue in any their factory brakes. (That's more something to watch out for with an aftermarket BBK.)

Nowadays the LR AWD and P have a different rear motor. That wasn't always the case, originally the LR had the same rear motor as a P. It is also plausible that the slightly weaker LR AWD rear motor is slightly more efficient somehow, but I promise if there is a difference there, it's literally not measurable in the real world. The difference is almost entirely the wheels+tires and nothing more. (I suspect Tesla switched the LR to a different rear motor just because they could build it slightly cheaper without having to meet the full M3P spec. That's just my suspicion.)

Lastly, back when Tesla sold a "stealth" (unofficial name) M3P with the base LR AWD wheels+tires+brakes+springs, it had exactly the same EPA ratings. Literally the M3P's extra power was just different software, with no difference in efficiency except when actually using the extra power (of course). (I've never owned a stealth M3P and wasn't Model 3 shopping back then, so someone please correct me if I'm wrong about that.)

Now I will say that if you're into "performance" driving, you probably won't like the base model MXM4 tires. They're made for efficiency and long tread life. They're very good for those things, and very poor at grip or road feel. So personally I would not suggest attempting to achieve full M3LR efficiency on an M3P. But you can if you want to! (Would need aftermarket aero 18" wheels to fully match that efficiency target, as the OE 18" aeros don't fit, per forum knowledge.)

Reactions: JawKnee and EVolv3d
Now I will say that if you're into "performance" driving, you probably won't like the base model MXM4 tires. They're made for efficiency and long tread life. They're very good for those things, and very poor at grip or road feel.
100%. The MXM4 have very poor longitudinal grip. When I drive quickly in the mountains, it's pretty easy to trigger ABS on initial brake application for a split second before weight transfers to the front tires. For performance minded drivers, they'd probably want to sacrifice some range and noise comfort for better tires.

Reactions: tm1v2
I have a Y with the Performance Boost, have done a few side-by-side launches against a PMY, and to 30 mph or so the P gets me but from 30 and UP they are almost dead even. My DRAGY shows my new 0 to 60 is now 4.04 seconds w/o the 1 ft roll out. Down from 4.8 seconds as tested.

So if stoplight Grand Prix's are your thing spend the extra $$$. But I wanted/needed MAX range the Boost is just icing on the cake. I bought $6K in Tesla stock as a gift to myself with the savings. Better ride, cheaper tires, and less likely to blow a tire/wheel with our shitty roads here in IL are bonuses. But it's your money.

I haven’t read the whole thread so I don’t know if this has me mentioned
It may or may not happen but Track Mode was one of the things that the OP wanted
@Bouba Don't count on it. 😄 Yes Tesla could do so, in theory. I give it very small odds and I'd bet some money it never happens for any M3LR sold to date.

By all means buy an M3LR if you prefer, but don't be naive and buy it thinking it'll get Track Mode just because of a two letter tweet from Elon. Very unlikely to happen.

(This post is not an opinion of whether it should or shouldn't happen. Just that it's very unlikely to. Now if Tesla's official specs/listing for the M3LR get updated to say "Track Mode coming soon" or something like that, then yes, that would change things!)

Hahaha. Yes i'd have done MS Plaid as well. But I ordered the M3P. Now just have to wait a couple months to get it. Showed march delivery date when I ordered and now in the app shows may/june.😕
I wouldn’t worry, it’ll move around then tighten up. I just ordered 1/17, got my VIN this week and just paid this AM (Texas). Hopefully my EDD window of 3/5-3/9 is the home stretch. Take care

Reactions: Blacktes24
I'm exactly in the same boat as you. Keep going back and forth between the P and LR. But at the end of day, I think I'll always be disappointed if I don't get the P.

Hehe I don't think used car+saving money can be used in the same sentence these days.

Just sold my MY LR with 15k miles for $60k. Surely the dealer will be listing for $65k+.
Is the boost option not currently available?
We got out 2019 M3 and it has it. Nearly as fast as the P. Dual motor and had 312 mile range when new. Love it!

I wouldn’t worry, it’ll move around then tighten up. I just ordered 1/17, got my VIN this week and just paid this AM (Texas). Hopefully my EDD window of 3/5-3/9 is the home stretch. Take care
yup i know. i just got antsy and excited when i thought it might be march so got disappointed seeing it fall back to may/june. I really wanted the P anyways and the 2-3 month earlier estimate as opposed to long range tipped the scales to the P. I am expecting april at the earliest. Excited!

Reactions: Bouba and TXDawg
@Blacktes24 If you prefer getting the car sooner, keep an eye on local inventory. Brand new 3 and Y show up regularly. If one shows up with a spec you like (doesn't have to exactly match your order!), call your local sales center, they can assign it to your existing reservation (without charging a new order fee).

If the inventory car has FSD and you don't want it, or visa-versa, the sales advisor can disable or enable FSD when they assign it to your reservation.

Note many of the new cars are "demo" test drive cars, which Tesla barely discounts at all, you may or may not have any interest in those. But actual brand new cars not from the demo fleet also show up.

I have a Y with the Performance Boost, have done a few side-by-side launches against a PMY, and to 30 mph or so the P gets me but from 30 and UP they are almost dead even. My DRAGY shows my new 0 to 60 is now 4.04 seconds w/o the 1 ft roll out. Down from 4.8 seconds as tested.

So if stoplight Grand Prix's are your thing spend the extra $$$. But I wanted/needed MAX range the Boost is just icing on the cake. I bought $6K in Tesla stock as a gift to myself with the savings. Better ride, cheaper tires, and less likely to blow a tire/wheel with our shitty roads here in IL are bonuses. But it's your money.
How did you manage that? I thought AB was not available for MY.

@Blacktes24 If you prefer getting the car sooner, keep an eye on local inventory. Brand new 3 and Y show up regularly. If one shows up with a spec you like (doesn't have to exactly match your order!), call your local sales center, they can assign it to your existing reservation (without charging a new order fee).

If the inventory car has FSD and you don't want it, or visa-versa, the sales advisor can disable or enable FSD when they assign it to your reservation.

Note many of the new cars are "demo" test drive cars, which Tesla barely discounts at all, you may or may not have any interest in those. But actual brand new cars not from the demo fleet also show up.
I will look into this for sure. I try and keep an eye out and would like to see one pop up. I'm not super picky on colors on these for some reason. I can't do the white interior I'd get it too dirty.

If I had it to do over again, I would probably just get the LR. The acceleration on the M3P is staggering, but frankly a bit pointless for everyday driving. I actually keep it in chill most of the time. The 20 inch wheels are totally impractical for Houston city streets so I promptly replace them with 18" wheels.

I will take it to the track at some point, but it is simply not a practical track car because it can't make it through a full day at the track without ready access to a supercharger. And I've got an 2013 MX5 and a 2022 BRZ for track days.

Reactions: tm1v2 and XPsionic
Test drive both. I really like the P, but after the pack upgrade last year the LR is really fast. I can afford either but decided on the LR after taking them both for a spin. You basically can't go wrong either way; it's a preference thing.

The better brakes on the P were what swayed me. I suppose you could always upgrade the brakes on the LR too. Potayto/Potahto

Best,

Reactions: TechOps and tm1v2