Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Going to order a new Model 3 performance. Should I consider the long range AWD?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had the same question to ponder before ordering. To me, its my daily driver, with spirited driving every now and then - lead me to order the M3LR with 19” wheels.

After a few test drives at Tesla, I choose the M3LR over the P, as:

1) I won’t ever track the M3,
2) brakes are only useful in emergency stops (one pedal driving in 85% of the time - regeneration at its best).
3) 20” rims and tires look great and would be nice as a second set. However, 20” tires are super expensive and already blew a tire on my last vehicle with super low profile tires hitting a Texas pot hole. A $350+ fix.
4) Suspension on the P appears to be very similar to the LR. Personally after a 1600 mile road trip, I prefer a little more supple ride than road jarring.
4) Can add the rear spoiler lip and pedals easily.
5) Many swap out the sport 19” rims for some Martian wheels to personalize it a bit.
6)LR 0-60 = 4.3 sec, P = 3.3 sec in multiple tests…both super quick.

The P was amazing…just have other places to spend the $6k difference. Either one is an amazing vehicle And you can’t go wrong.

Reactions: TBrownTX
I read the Aero Wheels are now coming with Hankooks, so I'd probably have to ditch those fairly quickly anyhow. Hankooks are probably the worst tires. For the 20's, I'm thinking once the Pirellis go, I could swap in DWS06s in 245/35R20. Not the ideal solution but DWS06s are very durable and almost bulletproof.

Any idea why the estimated deliveries for the M3P's are faster than the LR and SR+ w/ Aero Wheels? Is it because of the aero wheels?

I read the Aero Wheels are now coming with Hankooks, so I'd probably have to ditch those fairly quickly anyhow. Hankooks are probably the worst tires. For the 20's, I'm thinking once the Pirellis go, I could swap in DWS06s in 245/35R20. Not the ideal solution but DWS06s are very durable and almost bulletproof.

Any idea why the estimated deliveries for the M3P's are faster than the LR and SR+ w/ Aero Wheels? Is it because of the aero wheels?
Simply - the M3P‘s are more expensive and more profitable.

Reactions: TBrownTX
245 width is a “rim saving“ size, as the curb hits it 1st before the wheel. Typically a lot of options in the 245/40/18, 245/40/19 or 245/20/35 sizes…depending on your wheel size. Also, the new 20” wheels are 9” wide (not 8.5” like the previous P 20” wheel), so less rim protection with 235’s stretched on it.

Reactions: metroplex
245 width is a “rim saving“ size, as the curb hits it 1st before the wheel. Typically a lot of options in the 245/40/18, 245/40/19 or 245/20/35 sizes…depending on your wheel size. Also, the new 20” wheels are 9” wide (not 8.5” like the previous P 20” wheel), so less rim protection with 235’s stretched on it.
I think I saw 265/35 as an option for aftermarket 20x9s, wouldn't those rob some range as well or cause rubbing?

I think I saw 265/35 as an option for aftermarket 20x9s, wouldn't those rob some range as well or cause rubbing?
Excessive - unless you are going for looks and to fill the wheel well. Look at the comparison in size differences from OEM size.

Attachments

• 111C25A5-7302-426A-A0A4-8C5AB1B8C3C2.png
    111C25A5-7302-426A-A0A4-8C5AB1B8C3C2.png
    603.6 KB · Views: 108

and you are right... Tesla Model 3 now comes with Hankook Kinergy GT tires instead of the Michelin Primacy MXM4 - Tesla Oracle

another brilliant cost cutting move for a vehicle which costs close to $60k in that base configuration. Going from XL rated Michelins to LI rated Hankooks doesnt sit right with me... you are just (4%) below the max weight the tires are rated for. And yes - Hankook are poor tires ... my wife's GMC Terrain Denali came with those and they are loud, not a good ride and aren't exactly best in class in tests either. There's a reason on the aftermarket they can be had for ~$190ish whereas MXM4s are $260+

Reactions: metroplex
I bought the performance to scratch the what-if itch. I don't regret it. I also wouldn't recommend it for myself, but instead the LR with 19" Sport wheels:

1. 20" wheels - not uncomfortable for myself, but when driving my sleeping newborn would prefer sidewall of 19s.
2. 20" PS4S tires - these are good, but as i dont push 10/10ths, and the Sport's Evo S3 is just as good for my purpose.
3. Performance brakes - virtually never use the friction brakes to its limits. It's regen for 90% of driving and light application for remaining 9%.
4. Lowered sport suspension - theres even suspicion whether the suspension have different properties (damp and spring rates), besides the spring height. im not a StanceBro
5. Lid spoiler - okay this is good for looks, but you can get aftermarket for ~$300
6. Acceleration difference - well documented that the performance delta only exists in the 0-40mpg range. When I do punch WOT, its usually from rolling speeds (30mph+)
7. Track mode - don't track.

Subjectively it's nice looking at the car and seeing the dark 20" wheels and the red brake calipers flashing through. Objectively for my driving it's useless.

Reactions: TBrownTX and tm1v2
@texas_star_TM3 Yes! And I've heard of failures of the Hankook Kinergy GT on some Toyotas. They'd just separate. Hankooks had a horrible reputation for premature tread wear/failure on the Explorers. Ford would equip the expensive Explorer Sport and Platinum with Hankook, but give the Michelin Latitudes for the XLT trim. The Hankooks would fail at under 20k miles. Latitudes can last 30k-40k with easy driving.

@holmgang The Model 3 in 19's seems to come with 235/40R19 tires. The Fusion Sport I currently have uses those as stock wheel/tire sizes. And the Fusion Sport weighs about 4100 lb curb weight (same as a 1998-2002 Crown Vic) which is light. The MKZ 3.0 AWD and the Taurus SHO are 4300 lb. I see the Model 3 LR/Perf curb weight range from 4070 lb to 4250 lb depending on the source (Tesla and websites respectively) so the Fusion and Model 3 are similar/comparable in weight etc... The 235/40R19 rides rough and is prone to blowouts from potholes. Anyone that decides to go from the 20s to the 19s probably needs to consider 18s and just avoid the 19s because they're not much better. I popped two tires on my Fusion Sport right away due to potholes when it was brand new. I no longer drive the Fusion when the weather is bad or when it is winter. The MKZ has 245/45R18 stock tires or 245/40R19 with the 19 inch option. So they're not too different from the Model 3 in terms of wheel/tire choices.

@Evpowerdan My tuned SHO and tuned Fusion Sport do 0-60 in about 4.3 seconds (no rollout) and would run the 1/4 in 12.4 @ 111, so it's important to me that if I change it up with a Model 3, it has to be faster than these cars.

@Evpowerdan My tuned SHO and tuned Fusion Sport do 0-60 in about 4.3 seconds (no rollout) and would run the 1/4 in 12.4 @ 111, so it's important to me that if I change it up with a Model 3, it has to be faster than these cars.
A long range with boost will crush those numbers with no issues. You are looking at a pretty easy 3.7 0-60 (with rollout(~3.5 without rollout)) and the 1/4 at 11.8 @ about 116. It will run those numbers without doing anything special, just mash the throttle and go, time after time until the state of charge drops pretty low.

Reactions: tm1v2
This has been discussed extensively, and I always recommended the LR if it's mostly a daily driver and will rarely or never go to the track. However, with the price gap now only $3k, the Performance model makes much more sense economically for all the goodies you get.
only 1500 now isn't it if you go with non aero wheels on the LRAWD and buy acceleration boost?

@texas_star_TM3 Yes! And I've heard of failures of the Hankook Kinergy GT on some Toyotas. They'd just separate. Hankooks had a horrible reputation for premature tread wear/failure on the Explorers. Ford would equip the expensive Explorer Sport and Platinum with Hankook, but give the Michelin Latitudes for the XLT trim. The Hankooks would fail at under 20k miles. Latitudes can last 30k-40k with easy driving.

@holmgang The Model 3 in 19's seems to come with 235/40R19 tires. The Fusion Sport I currently have uses those as stock wheel/tire sizes. And the Fusion Sport weighs about 4100 lb curb weight (same as a 1998-2002 Crown Vic) which is light. The MKZ 3.0 AWD and the Taurus SHO are 4300 lb. I see the Model 3 LR/Perf curb weight range from 4070 lb to 4250 lb depending on the source (Tesla and websites respectively) so the Fusion and Model 3 are similar/comparable in weight etc... The 235/40R19 rides rough and is prone to blowouts from potholes. Anyone that decides to go from the 20s to the 19s probably needs to consider 18s and just avoid the 19s because they're not much better. I popped two tires on my Fusion Sport right away due to potholes when it was brand new. I no longer drive the Fusion when the weather is bad or when it is winter. The MKZ has 245/45R18 stock tires or 245/40R19 with the 19 inch option. So they're not too different from the Model 3 in terms of wheel/tire choices.

Get the M3P. The 0-60 is awesome. I came from a Z06 for my toy car and now have this for my toy but it's also very practical. It's much faster than my vette and a fun car.

If I were ordering new, I would probably go with the M3P since the price differential has shrunk so much to 5k. I would immediately sell the 20" Ubers and put something better in their place. It would let me get the car a lot sooner too. When I ordered my LR, I think the differential was about 7 or 8k and it wasn't worth the upgrade and I knew from my Y, I didn't want the bigger wheels as no benefit and hurts the range. I am fine with the 18" areo wheels to be honest on the LR. They make it sort of stealthy.

With such a small price delta now, it really shows that Tesla wasn't given you that much to begin with going from the LR to the P. The main thing (for most people) is the P package is just an acceleration boost that is gone by 60 mph. That honestly is what annoyed me the most about both the P and AB, it is gone by 60. Tesla gave you exactly what they said, a quick 0-60 time that doesn't have any benefit at higher speeds.

By an M series BMW, not only is it quicker to 60 than the lower spec models, but it accelerates better at higher speeds as well.

I'm one of those type of people where I rarely, if ever, regret spending a little more on more major purchases, because I know the "... should've / what if ..." that I will obsess over (for years) is more costly in terms of head space.

So for me, the initial purchasing anxiety, and long term ownership experience was far better with the P for only about $95 more a month :D

Reactions: TBrownTX and TXDawg
If I were ordering new, I would probably go with the M3P since the price differential has shrunk so much to 5k. I would immediately sell the 20" Ubers and put something better in their place. It would let me get the car a lot sooner too. When I ordered my LR, I think the differential was about 7 or 8k and it wasn't worth the upgrade and I knew from my Y, I didn't want the bigger wheels as no benefit and hurts the range. I am fine with the 18" areo wheels to be honest on the LR. They make it sort of stealthy.

With such a small price delta now, it really shows that Tesla wasn't given you that much to begin with going from the LR to the P. The main thing (for most people) is the P package is just an acceleration boost that is gone by 60 mph. That honestly is what annoyed me the most about both the P and AB, it is gone by 60. Tesla gave you exactly what they said, a quick 0-60 time that doesn't have any benefit at higher speeds.

By an M series BMW, not only is it quicker to 60 than the lower spec models, but it accelerates better at higher speeds as well.

Track mode really helps with aggressive canyon or track driving. The compressors run hard full time cooling the car greatly. Its useful if you plan on treating the car as a toy :D

The new motor in the Performance that is coming out is supposed to have a faster speed past 60mph. I would love to have a bit more oomph past 60mph.

Track mode really helps with aggressive canyon or track driving. The compressors run hard full time cooling the car greatly. Its useful if you plan on treating the car as a toy :D

The new motor in the Performance that is coming out is supposed to have a faster speed past 60mph. I would love to have a bit more oomph past 60mph.

Is the new motor the 3D6 rear drive? They've been out overseas along with the LG M50 batteries and so far the acceleration times aren't that much different from what I recall. The hairpin winding is supposed to be 1%-2% more efficient if at that. The China owner's manual for the Model 3 shows the torque/power ratings for the 3D1 and 3D6 to be the same.

Is the new motor the 3D6 rear drive? They've been out overseas along with the LG M50 batteries and so far the acceleration times aren't that much different from what I recall. The hairpin winding is supposed to be 1%-2% more efficient if at that. The China owner's manual for the Model 3 shows the torque/power ratings for the 3D1 and 3D6 to be the same.

Maybe you are right. Someone said that there was evidence of a Draggy run using the new motor that hit 118 on traps which indicates a slightly better top speed run. I was just hoping for the most part :)

Maybe you are right. Someone said that there was evidence of a Draggy run using the new motor that hit 118 on traps which indicates a slightly better top speed run. I was just hoping for the most part :)

I found a discussion here. lightweight wheels model 3 performance 0-60 testing

I downloaded dragy to look at the leaderboards (I've never used it before, heard about battery issues). There's one guy from Germany with a 2022 M3P that ran 11.36 @ 118.60 with a 1.82 60', the others from Canada or US were 11.38-11.45 trapping about 117 mph all with similar 60' times. I don't think we have enough statistical points for the Global 2022 M3P's unless you have seen any.

Last edited:
3) 20” rims and tires look great and would be nice as a second set. However, 20” tires are super expensive and already blew a tire on my last vehicle with super low profile tires hitting a Texas pot hole. A $350+ fix.

The P was amazing…just have other places to spend the $6k difference. Either one is an amazing vehicle And you can’t go wrong.
The cost and longevity/durability of 20” tires alone steered me away from ordering the P. Can spend the $6k difference on investing in solar panels on your home to charge your Tesla for “free”
I would immediately sell the 20" Ubers and put something better in their place.
My understanding is that you’d still have to get a relatively large wheel/tire size because of the larger brake rotors on the P than what’s on the LR. So you’d still have to pay a premium for 19”/20” wheels/tires even if you dump the OEM uberturbine wheels