Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Going to pass on AWD to get my Model 3 sooner, anyone else doing the same?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Although I would like to wait for a white interior, AWD and P...I do not want to wait that long either (my delivery date says Nov2017-Jan2018 if I take the "first production").

... I will be helping Tesla work out the bugs, and I am OK with that.

Then I get back in the line for a AWD P.

Then get back in line for a Y.

I normally hang on to a car for a long time, but Tesla is changing my behavior. Hopefully we will see a good resale value with the M3 when the time comes to trade.
Nice. I'm almost the opposite. I normally keep a car for a year or two. I have now had my P85D for almost three years, a new personal record for me. Now my BMW in Brazil is about to set a record too because I'll change to nothing other than a BEV and there are none yet available in Brazil except for a handful of BYD E6 (I rent those) and some superannuated fleet-only Nissasn Leaf. So I wait for my Model 3 in the US to replace my S and the Model 3 in Brazil to replace my BMW.

This time I'm almost certain that I'll trade up when AWD and P versions appear for the 3, maybe for a Y or a new revised S when it comes. For the first time in my life I'm unwilling to have anything other than a Tesla. In my own odd car history I've owned >25 brands and >75 cars. I never thought I'd become a brand loyalist but Tesla has made me one. Back in my reflections I even think I might want to get a Roadster to add to my S and X so I can have one of each. I probably will not do that, but only Tesla has made me even consider such an odd thing.

I'm doing the exact same thing. One consoling thought though - in 2 or 3 years or so when the so-called "hamburger line" is not so long, and Tesla releases even more features on the Model 3, I might just trade up.

Same here. I want the 3 badly enough to pay the premium for the first generation. A few years down the road, I could definitely see myself trading up for the latest and greatest.

Reactions: GSP and Kacey Green
Can't compare EV AWD to ICE AWD, because ICE don't Regen.
Regen on front wheels is more effective and stable.
Otherwise, I would prefer RWD (as I do on any ICE).
I can't imagine Rear Wheel Regen in snow, or on icy roads, the Traction Control would be working overtime.
But I live in SoCal ; )

Hello Everyone,

Hope all is well with everyone. I am just writing this post to see if there are any others that have the same thought process as I do. I was originally going to get AWD as one of my must have options, but after looking at the estimator of the Tesla website, reading this forum, and really thinking about whether I "need" AWD, I decided to change my preference and opt for the earlier configuration available....the long range with premium interior (I will be getting some of the other options too). I came to this decision because for me, it would be really tough to wait another year and a half (Oct '18 to Dec '18) to get the car. By doing that, AWD really becomes a $7,250 option. That is a great deal of money. By getting the first available trim (Feb - April '18) I get almost everything (will not get FSD) and save a little over $2k due to the fact I will be able to get the entire $7,500 tax credit plus PA's $1,750. Also reading that the RWD Model S does well in winter climates makes my feel more comfortable with this decision.

I just wanted to see if anyone else was wrestling with this decision and what they are leaning towards. Exciting times in the future for all!!

Take Care.
Sounds good. There's only 2 primary reasons to choose AWD (3 when talking trucks, for offroad capability, but we are talking cars here). Performance and bad winter weather traction. If you don't insist on getting the higher performance, then that just leaves bad winter weather. That just depends on where you live. I used to think I needed this for Missouri winters, but seriously, there hasn't been a serious real wheel drive killing snow or ice storm here in years, and even then it gets cleared within a day or two max. And with climate change, it will likely be happening less every year.

I'll check those out but keep in mind that Norway is as flat as a pancake. I am skeptical of the performance of any RWD car, even with snow tires on icy hilly terrain.
You might be thinking of the Netherlands.
This is Norway:
Reinebringen_mot_Reine-63785.jpg

Hello Everyone,

Hope all is well with everyone. I am just writing this post to see if there are any others that have the same thought process as I do. I was originally going to get AWD as one of my must have options, but after looking at the estimator of the Tesla website, reading this forum, and really thinking about whether I "need" AWD, I decided to change my preference and opt for the earlier configuration available....the long range with premium interior (I will be getting some of the other options too). I came to this decision because for me, it would be really tough to wait another year and a half (Oct '18 to Dec '18) to get the car. By doing that, AWD really becomes a $7,250 option. That is a great deal of money. By getting the first available trim (Feb - April '18) I get almost everything (will not get FSD) and save a little over $2k due to the fact I will be able to get the entire $7,500 tax credit plus PA's $1,750. Also reading that the RWD Model S does well in winter climates makes my feel more comfortable with this decision.

I just wanted to see if anyone else was wrestling with this decision and what they are leaning towards. Exciting times in the future for all!!

Take Care.

Same. My situation in a few years may mean that a Model Y would make more sense....so when that time comes, I can use my new "current owner" status to jump up in that line.

I'll check those out but keep in mind that Norway is as flat as a pancake. I am skeptical of the performance of any RWD car, even with snow tires on icy hilly terrain.

Like @ShockOnT said, you must be confusing Norway with the Netherlands (which are indeed flat as a pancake ;)). You will hardly find many countries that are less flat than Norway...

And about AWD: if it made any difference, I might think about skipping AWD. But the timing estimate on MyTesla says "Late 2018", no matter what option I choose.

check out the Model S threads. There are more than enough RWD Model S on the roads to answer this question. The short answer is with the weight being distributed over the back wheels, the traditional thought of RWD handling poorly in the snow is false.

I plan to get winter tires and call it a day.

I'm hoping that enough people get RWD in their hands this winter so that we have opinions about how it handles int he snow. These reviews will be what I base my decision on. I really want AWD because I live in the midwest, but the extra cost and loss of the tax credit really make it an expensive option.

I live in Chicago and while I definitely would prefer the AWD I can not wait another 1 to 1 1/2 years for this car! So RWD it is but at least I know I'll get the full tax credit. If need be I'll get some winter tires but from everything I've read about Tesla's traction control it should be fine. Delivery estimate is Nov - Jan...can't wait!!!

Reactions: Drucifer
Like @ShockOnT said, you must be confusing Norway with the Netherlands (which are indeed flat as a pancake ;)). You will hardly find many countries that are less flat than Norway...

And about AWD: if it made any difference, I might think about skipping AWD. But the timing estimate on MyTesla says "Late 2018", no matter what option I choose.

Touche. Yes, I'm thinking of the Netherlands which are as flat as Florida. :oops:

I would totally spring for AWD if it was reasonably priced and didn't add substantially to delivery of the product.

As of right now the estimator says Jan-March delivery for RWD and Oct-Dec delivery for AWD... since that will almost definitely cost me $3750 in tax incentive I will probably just get RWD.

Unless........ AWD is priced quite competitively (say, under $3500)... then I might just suck it up and get it. I really do like the handling characteristics of high powered cars and AWD based on my stint in my 340xi.

I also have to find some sucker (kind soul) to assume lease of my 340xi since it's not up till September next year,. so maybe actually I will just end up with AWD anyhow. :eek:

Reactions: Kacey Green