Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Going to pass on AWD to get my Model 3 sooner, anyone else doing the same?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agree. I live in MN so snow is a 6 month / year reality. But it can't be emphasized enough that AWD is probably more of a net safety issue than solution for the driving population as a whole because it lets you overdrive your steering and braking in low-traction circumstances (plus, if traction control can be disabled, RWD is more fun if you have the driving skill ;)). Spend the money on an extra set of wheels with dedicated winter tires (not All Season). These have a snowflake graphic on the sidewall and improve steering and braking in more or less equal measure to forward progress. On the plus side, I've heard great things here and elsewhere about Tesla's traction control in RWD vehicles.

Oh, yeah, I don't want to wait another 9 months and I want the full $7500 tax credit too. :)

Reactions: Bgarret
Hello Everyone,

Hope all is well with everyone. I am just writing this post to see if there are any others that have the same thought process as I do. I was originally going to get AWD as one of my must have options, but after looking at the estimator of the Tesla website, reading this forum, and really thinking about whether I "need" AWD, I decided to change my preference and opt for the earlier configuration available....the long range with premium interior (I will be getting some of the other options too). I came to this decision because for me, it would be really tough to wait another year and a half (Oct '18 to Dec '18) to get the car. By doing that, AWD really becomes a $7,250 option. That is a great deal of money. By getting the first available trim (Feb - April '18) I get almost everything (will not get FSD) and save a little over $2k due to the fact I will be able to get the entire $7,500 tax credit plus PA's $1,750. Also reading that the RWD Model S does well in winter climates makes my feel more comfortable with this decision.

I just wanted to see if anyone else was wrestling with this decision and what they are leaning towards. Exciting times in the future for all!!

Take Care.

Hi All
I like sedans and from the first AWD Audi I drove long ago have always specified AWD for my own cars. Many Audis and Jaguar X types over the years and from October 2015 the amazing Tesla S85D. The complete stability is only really appreciated when I drive cars without AWD and rediscover the limiting that comes to bite you unexpectedly. So my '3' will be AWD,

I'm waiting. We went from 2 to 1 vehicle when I retired. Replaced it with a Harley. The 3 will be a second car for us again and my primary. If we were staying with 1 vehicle however I would consider the S. Depending on the Ontario rebate I may wait for D.
I really think 'late 2018' is a worse case scenario for Canada. If the ramp is anywhere near what's projected it could be late spring/early summer '18.

Did desire it but after seeing the prices for the other up grades, figure it may be another $5k option and don't really want my $35k purchase to grow into a $60k purchase. Will probably get the premium package and choose a color which puts it at $41k before all the other charges get tacked on. If I get the full tax credit, it will still be a great buy and I can use that money to add EAP later. My wife will never let me sell her SUV anyway and since it's AWD, we will use it in the snow if needed.

My husband and I have an X already, and realistically that's gonna be our snow car. I'm slightly tempted to wait for AWD because California freeways get crazy during the rainy season (poor drainage + scared drivers)... but that's a sufficiently rare case that it doesn't really justify pushing my delivery date into late 2018.
Also, I'm replacing a VERY old ICE car that I've been stringing along with minimal repairs for a year now. Nice car soon = better

My husband and I have an X already, and realistically that's gonna be our snow car. I'm slightly tempted to wait for AWD because California freeways get crazy during the rainy season (poor drainage + scared drivers)... but that's a sufficiently rare case that it doesn't really justify pushing my delivery date into late 2018.
Also, I'm replacing a VERY old ICE car that I've been stringing along with minimal repairs for a year now. Nice car soon = better

Does AWD drive help much in CA rain? I am in SoCal and while it did rain a lot earlier this year...it's nothing compared to the east coast.

AWD is not a major factor in rain, other than possibly a bit of assist in an overly aggressive launch on wet pavement. Traction occurs at the contact patch and AWD has no effect on hydroplaning. The best defense is monitoring speed and selecting the best tires for rain. Check tirerack.com ratings for wet track testing. Old rule of thumb for hydroplaning is keep below the square root of the tire pressure x 10, expressed in mph. Ex: 36 psi = 6x10 = 60mph.

Last edited:
Reactions: DR61
I'm thinking I will end up going with the First Production to get Dec17-Feb18. Was wanting AWD performance version but not sure I can wait another year. I might even put in another reservation right after ordering the RWD and then trade up to the AWD in a year or so when that order can be filled.

Hello Everyone,

Hope all is well with everyone. I am just writing this post to see if there are any others that have the same thought process as I do. I was originally going to get AWD as one of my must have options, but after looking at the estimator of the Tesla website, reading this forum, and really thinking about whether I "need" AWD, I decided to change my preference and opt for the earlier configuration available....the long range with premium interior (I will be getting some of the other options too). I came to this decision because for me, it would be really tough to wait another year and a half (Oct '18 to Dec '18) to get the car. By doing that, AWD really becomes a $7,250 option. That is a great deal of money. By getting the first available trim (Feb - April '18) I get almost everything (will not get FSD) and save a little over $2k due to the fact I will be able to get the entire $7,500 tax credit plus PA's $1,750. Also reading that the RWD Model S does well in winter climates makes my feel more comfortable with this decision.

I just wanted to see if anyone else was wrestling with this decision and what they are leaning towards. Exciting times in the future for all!!

Take Care.
I am doing the same. I plan to get every option available for the earliest car I can get. I have an Oct-Dec 17 window currently. I would have gotten AWD if offered, but I will forgo it to have it sooner.

I'm thinking I will end up going with the First Production to get Dec17-Feb18. Was wanting AWD performance version but not sure I can wait another year. I might even put in another reservation right after ordering the RWD and then trade up to the AWD in a year or so when that order can be filled.

I already have a second reservation for this reason and it has a Q4/18 delivery window.

Can you elaborate on what you mean by limits? Can you give some examples of situations in an rwd car where you reached those limits please?

There are lots of them. Think hard cornering at higher speeds. Like taking that highway on-ramp at double the posted speed sign that warned you to slow down.

A RWD will start to oversteer or under steer more quickly at the limits than an AWD car. Drifting an RWD/FWD through a fast turn can be fun or scary depending on your comfort level with performance driving.

High power AWD cars also have a very different feeling when launched, the entire power train "hooks up" more or less instantly even if you mash the throttle, whereas doing this on RWD can result in some wheel slip and temporary loss of traction.

This is why once you are over a certain power level the AWD variant of a car will always be faster to 60 than RWD variant, it is able to get all four wheels moving quicker with less wheel slip.

Now since the AWD traditional car is much heavier it is usually a tiny bit slower in the quarter mile... but I digress.

I have owned a MS 70D for two years and will be getting the RWD M3. I live outside Philly and frankly just stay home when it snows the few times it does. I agree with other posters who say go RWD get snow tires if you need them. I have driven the RWD model on numerous occasions and I really can't tell the difference or improvement in my AWD vs the RWD. It's also just another motor to tune over time or to have something go wrong (although I have had zero issues in 29K miles).

My estimate for delivery of the Long Range RWD M3 is this Oct to Dec, so I'm going to take it and get the full tax credit, even if I can't convince my leasing company to buy back my equity-laden MS before my lease runs out in June of '18.

BTW, I love my MS but I am going to "downgrade" to the M3 because:

1. I want more range for the money (234 currrently, 310 in the LR M3)
2. I don't need the extra size/space in the MS, nor the AWD
3. I don't mind paying to Supercharge since that cost trade off vs buying or leasing another MS is insignificant
4. I constantly use Auto Steer and the autonomous features and they are available in the M3
5. I am guessing from the early reviews that the acceleration will be comparable to my 70D if not greater. I could see a MS 85 or MS 90/100 owner who is addicted to rocket ship acceration saying the would never consider the M3 but I am not in that camp. I think all these cars have plenty of acceleration.

In short, I think it's hard to pass up the early RWD version of the M3.

check out the Model S threads. There are more than enough RWD Model S on the roads to answer this question. The short answer is with the weight being distributed over the back wheels, the traditional thought of RWD handling poorly in the snow is false.

I plan to get winter tires and call it a day.
Currently have a RWD Model S. Drove it all winter last year with snow tires and handled like a dream. Was thinking about AWD Model III for my wife, but I'm opting for RWD option for earlier delivery and $7500. TBD late this year...my wife wants driver assist features NOW.

We're waiting for AWD. In California's mountains where we live, the Highway Patrol enforces snow chain requirements on 2WD cars even if there's only an inch or two of snow on the road. It doesn't matter if you have great snow tires, good snow driving skills, and traction control. If you have 2WD, you have to hassle with chains. :p We sold our AWD car when we bought our pre-owned Model S and we're hoping to have to go through only one more winter without AWD.

I live in Seattle, am not a prior owner, and waited in line to order. I planned to get a fully loaded AWD Model 3, but considering we get snow once a year and have been reassured by other Tesla owners that AWD is not a must have, am going to get a first available Model 3. I am a little concerned about traction with our frequent rain. I'll probably put a deposit on the M3 SUV and wait for AWD with that vehicle.

Reactions: 206er