Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Going to pass on AWD to get my Model 3 sooner, anyone else doing the same?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was initially going to wait on AWD +/- air suspension. Thinking of getting first production RWD LR to be able to get the full $7500 and also claim it on my 2017 taxes (yes I owe much more than $7500 on my taxes every year unfortunately)...

Will keep my Model S for roadtrips, home depot runs, etc. and the M3 LR will be the around town, self driving commuter car :)

I came to the same conclusion and not getting AWD. Reasons:

The tax credit is too good to pass up.
The 0.1 sec improvement in 0-60 time is a non-issue to me.
By all reports, AWD is not a must-have in snow. And we have few days of snow in the Seattle area.
One less item to possibly break.
I get the Model 3 a lot sooner.

And yes, I'll be doing a partial IRA to Roth conversion to generate the necessary tax liability to receive $7,500 tax credit.

I'm fairly certain I'll hold out for the AWD. I have a Feb-April 2018 delivery estimate. The rebate issue isn't a deal breaker for me. I have a second home in the mountains where we get considerable snow, so the AWD has the potential to be handy. Why not wait another 6 months to get what I want?

Reactions: abasile
Hello Everyone,

Hope all is well with everyone. I am just writing this post to see if there are any others that have the same thought process as I do. I was originally going to get AWD as one of my must have options, but after looking at the estimator of the Tesla website, reading this forum, and really thinking about whether I "need" AWD, I decided to change my preference and opt for the earlier configuration available....the long range with premium interior (I will be getting some of the other options too). I came to this decision because for me, it would be really tough to wait another year and a half (Oct '18 to Dec '18) to get the car. By doing that, AWD really becomes a $7,250 option. That is a great deal of money. By getting the first available trim (Feb - April '18) I get almost everything (will not get FSD) and save a little over $2k due to the fact I will be able to get the entire $7,500 tax credit plus PA's $1,750. Also reading that the RWD Model S does well in winter climates makes my feel more comfortable with this decision.

I just wanted to see if anyone else was wrestling with this decision and what they are leaning towards. Exciting times in the future for all!!

Take Care.
I Agree 100%

I came to the same decision. I have always wanted all-wheel drive since I live in Nebraska and see how useful it can be in snow and mud, as well as seeing the range and acceleration and traction control benefits. But since I also want the $7500 tax credit I will be getting the first production model with Long Range and Premium Upgrades. I figure I will just get a 2nd set of wheels and tires for winter.

Reactions: AlanSqB
...I am just writing this post to see if there are any others that have the same thought process as I do. ...I decided to ... opt for the earlier configuration available..

Nope. Nobody is going with the first available configurations. You are the only one - you have a unique mind. You will have tens of thousands of RWD Model 3's to choose from because Elon massively miscalculated and the rest of us are waiting for AWD.

• Funny
Reactions: brkaus
You are the only one - you have a unique mind.

Wasn't sure whether I should give funny or disagree feedback, so responding instead.

Well, ...
Not sure who you are calling nobody...

I've talked in person to a colleague who is thinking just like me...
So there are at least three of us passing on AWD.

I suspect many others like me aren't so worried about this thread.
Enjoy your AWD.

• Funny
Reactions: bhzmark
Have two reservations and originally was planning to get one AWD and one P. But now will probably get one of the First Delivery RWD models rather than wait. We have a second reservation that we can use for an AWD or P.

I came to the same conclusion and not getting AWD. Reasons:

The tax credit is too good to pass up.
The 0.1 sec improvement in 0-60 time is a non-issue to me.
By all reports, AWD is not a must-have in snow. And we have few days of snow in the Seattle area.
One less item to possibly break.
I get the Model 3 a lot sooner.

And yes, I'll be doing a partial IRA to Roth conversion to generate the necessary tax liability to receive $7,500 tax credit.

0.1 sec improvement because is software restricted :/ it should be way more :(.....

I'm at the age and financial position where to a large extent, I figure out what I need and want and try to get it at the best price, rather than find a good price and tell myself that will meet my needs. I'm waiting for the better performing "D" model and will not worry in winter drives about having to chain up in Washington State's snow covered Blewett or Snoqualmie mountain passes.
However, I promise to wave at the Model 3 RWD's owners as I pass the chain up areas where they will be down in the wet slush putting on the required chains.

• Love
Reactions: abasile
Lifelong Chicagoan here, fully aware of the struggles of winter driving, but still going with the first production RWD model as soon I'm offered to configure.

I was originally planning on waiting for the AWD dual motor, but that was when I thought the wait would potentially be spring '18. My delivery estimates AWD Aug-Oct '18 for me, and I can't wait that long. My wife & I have been sharing an ICE car for a few years now. When we lived downtown in the city, sharing 1 car was very manageable. Having recently moved a bit outside the city, the need for a 2nd car has really increased. So the sooner we take delivery of the M3 the better.

Plus I've convinced myself to pass on waiting for AWD by many similar previous posts. Taking advantage of the full tax credit will be very helpful to us affording the M3. Plus, the LR AWD version without the full tax credit probably puts affordability into question. Also, the car we currently share & will continue to have is an AWD Mazda CX-5, so fortunately for us, on the days the snow is really bad, we have an AWD option.

I'm hoping the RWD isn't terrible in the snow, as I've read in other threads regarding the MS RWD. Also thinking I could always trade up in a few years for better performance if the AWD is as kick ass as I think it'll be.

Reactions: landis
Nope. Going to hold out for AWD and Ultra white seats.
compositor-2.jpg

Nope. Going to hold out for AWD and Ultra white seats.
View attachment 248910
Is that an official render? I saw on electrek the images someone one found, but none had the white interior. I hope the headliner will be black with the white interior. That is what the S and X currently have. The wood dash part is possibly different on the white interior as well.

The vast majority of what makes a car good in the snow isn't the car...it's the tires. Vehicles don't have traction; tires have traction. I've been driving MB and BMW rwd with Blizzak WS tires at our Michigan home and have always been successful. Keep in mind, of the three basic car functions, go, turn, stop, AWD helps with the convenience of "go", but has no effect on brake/turn or any other off-throttle maneuvers needed to avoid an unexpected event in your path to save life, property, or avoid injury. That's the benefit/result of dedicated winter tires.

Lifelong Chicagoan here, fully aware of the struggles of winter driving, but still going with the first production RWD model as soon I'm offered to configure.

I was originally planning on waiting for the AWD dual motor, but that was when I thought the wait would potentially be spring '18. My delivery estimates AWD Aug-Oct '18 for me, and I can't wait that long. My wife & I have been sharing an ICE car for a few years now. When we lived downtown in the city, sharing 1 car was very manageable. Having recently moved a bit outside the city, the need for a 2nd car has really increased. So the sooner we take delivery of the M3 the better.

Plus I've convinced myself to pass on waiting for AWD by many similar previous posts. Taking advantage of the full tax credit will be very helpful to us affording the M3. Plus, the LR AWD version without the full tax credit probably puts affordability into question. Also, the car we currently share & will continue to have is an AWD Mazda CX-5, so fortunately for us, on the days the snow is really bad, we have an AWD option.

I'm hoping the RWD isn't terrible in the snow, as I've read in other threads regarding the MS RWD. Also thinking I could always trade up in a few years for better performance if the AWD is as kick ass as I think it'll be.
vast

Reactions: DR61
The vast majority of what makes a car good in the snow isn't the car...it's the tires. Vehicles don't have traction; tires have traction. I've been driving MB and BMW rwd with Blizzak WS tires at our Michigan home and have always been successful. Keep in mind, of the three basic car functions, go, turn, stop, AWD helps with the convenience of "go", but has no effect on brake/turn or any other off-throttle maneuvers needed to avoid an unexpected event in your path to save life, property, or avoid injury. That's the benefit/result of dedicated winter tires.

vast

My parents recently moved to Michigan & my dad was considering an upgrade to an AWD car. A neighbor mentioned looking into winter tires as well, so must be a common suggestion from Michigan. Thanks for your input, I'll definitely look into a winter tire set for my M3.

My parents recently moved to Michigan & my dad was considering an upgrade to an AWD car. A neighbor mentioned looking into winter tires as well, so must be a common suggestion from Michigan. Thanks for your input, I'll definitely look into a winter tire set for my M3.
Good plan...suggest Bridgestone Blizzak WS80 or Michelin XIcexi3 with the narrowest tread width which fits and still meets load rating requirements. In winter, narrower is superior to increase downforce through snow.