Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Going to pass on AWD to get my Model 3 sooner, anyone else doing the same?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good plan...suggest Bridgestone Blizzak WS80 or Michelin XIcexi3 with the narrowest tread width which fits and still meets load rating requirements. In winter, narrower is superior to increase downforce through snow.

Awesome, I really appreciate the suggestions. Going to do some legwork now on picking out a good set so when I (hopefully) take delivery this winter, I'll already have a winter set ready to have put on.

OP.. I'm still going to wait it out. looking more like 2019 though...sad. There is no info or anything coming out of TESLA about the Model 3 but I'm still going to wait it out.

My delivery estimator just got moved back to July-September for Dual Motor. Oh well. One more year. ( 30 months total )

Last edited:
OP.. I'm still going to wait it out. looking more like 2019 though...sad. There is no info or anything coming out of TESLA about the Model 3 but I'm still going to wait it out.

My delivery estimator just got moved back to July-September for Dual Motor. Oh well. One more year. ( 30 months total )

More unsubstantiated drama from you. There is nothing from Tesla to indicate AWD doesn't arrive before 2019.

The fact that Tesla not feeding you daily updates on the progress of your build causing this level of angst is bizarre.

This argument is a bit old in my book (not directly picking on you, but it is repeated here frequently). My Dodge truck can get 30% more power with an aftermarket software chip. Is my truck software limited? The chip does void the warranty of course.

Just to be pedantic, nothing (except a salvage title I suppose...) can "void the warranty" on a new car warranty.

It's just that if an aftermarket mod causes a problem the warranty won't cover that problem.

If you put a performance chip in and 2 weeks later it blows the engine- not covered.

If you put a performance chip in and 2 weeks later the trunk release stops working, that's still under warranty because it has nothing to do with the aftermarket mod.

My delivery estimator just got moved back to July-September for Dual Motor
Haven't been checking mine, but I just did, and I notice my AWD estimate moved back 2 months as well. It is now June - August. There is an advantage to waiting I don't see many mentioning... build quality and sometimes even features will improve. I will probably just go cheap and grab the base model with colored paint so as not to miss the full rebate, but not be among the first deliveries by choice. Although I do think AWD might affect resale more than battery range as evidenced by the number of RWD CPO MS available for sale all the time, for a cost delta larger than the 5K option cost upon cursory inspection. Decisions, decisions.

Haven't been checking mine, but I just did, and I notice my AWD estimate moved back 2 months as well. It is now June - August. There is an advantage to waiting I don't see many mentioning... build quality and sometimes even features will improve. I will probably just go cheap and grab the base model with colored paint so as not to miss the full rebate, but not be among the first deliveries by choice. Although I do think AWD might affect resale more than battery range as evidenced by the number of RWD CPO MS available for sale all the time, for a cost delta larger than the 5K option cost upon cursory inspection. Decisions, decisions.

You can't make the assumption (without looking foolish) that the model S rwd cpo's are there only due to not being AWD. There are other differences and those are actually the reason I haven't bought one. The differences being no AP or AP1 and styling changes. I never liked the nose cone but would deal with it if it was the only option, it's not. There are other minor improvements as well but these are the two biggest imo.

I waited in line in 3/31 and have an oct-dec delivery in California. If I had a choice I would buy the P-D version if the 3 but not for any justifiable reason. Currently drive a BMW 335d rwd with zero issues and I don't feel like public roads are the place to be pushing a cars limits.

We had an i3 leased for 2 years waiting on the 3, even that car with its bicycle tires killed all the locals in the stop light world championships, model 3 rwd will be more than enough.

The other issue on waiting for awd is my daughter gets her license in December and we need another car, I have a 94 landcruiser that handles any snow duty and will be kept as my ice collectors piece.

I'll be getting every option on the LR model 3, would never pay 60k for any other brand.