Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Going to pass on AWD to get my Model 3 sooner, anyone else doing the same?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Everyone,

Hope all is well with everyone. I am just writing this post to see if there are any others that have the same thought process as I do. I was originally going to get AWD as one of my must have options, but after looking at the estimator of the Tesla website, reading this forum, and really thinking about whether I "need" AWD, I decided to change my preference and opt for the earlier configuration available....the long range with premium interior (I will be getting some of the other options too). I came to this decision because for me, it would be really tough to wait another year and a half (Oct '18 to Dec '18) to get the car. By doing that, AWD really becomes a $7,250 option. That is a great deal of money. By getting the first available trim (Feb - April '18) I get almost everything (will not get FSD) and save a little over $2k due to the fact I will be able to get the entire $7,500 tax credit plus PA's $1,750. Also reading that the RWD Model S does well in winter climates makes my feel more comfortable with this decision.

I just wanted to see if anyone else was wrestling with this decision and what they are leaning towards. Exciting times in the future for all!!

Take Care.

Yeah, I haven't decided for sure, but I'm leaning that way. The main use for AWD would be to not have to put on chains going to the snow, but realistically we probably would usually take my wife's SUV anyway (we've only ever taken my S once to the snow). If it was just the wait it would be hard, but I'd probably wait just out of principle to get the car I slightly prefer. The uncertainty about the federal rebate gives me the perfect excuse to do what I really want to do anyway, and get the car soon.

@pkalhan, wise choice.

@VIKING26, Tesla will have a lot of takers for the RWD and when they get AWD going, some of the early RWD folks will upgrade too, to add to the pent up demand from folks waiting for AWD. I'd not be surprised if AWD slips into 2019 for volume production. This is almost exactly the same playbook Tesla followed for the Model S between late-2012 and late-2014.

Same boat here as well. I initially thought that I'd keep my model S 90D (AP1) for the time being but the specs and interior of a long range m3 convinced me otherwise. I'm not loosing much (a bit of space and luxury) but I gain a very good car similar to my first S85 and AP2, and given the trade in value and the tax credit, I can get another one for the kids. No brainer. And hopefully both will be there by year's end.

Yeah, AWD was one of the few options I was interested in. I didn't like it on gas cars because it increased cost and complexity while reducing efficiency and acceleration. Plus it doesn't help with braking or steering, so only so much benefit.

But Tesla has a clever implementation that improved acceleration and efficiency and even handling to a small extent. The only real downside is the cost.

So I was seriously considering it, depending on details of course. But, meh. Our other Tesla has AWD, don't need it on both of them...

Although I would like to wait for a white interior, AWD and P...I do not want to wait that long either (my delivery date says Nov2017-Jan2018 if I take the "first production").

So I plan to get the current offering with 19" wheels and white paint. I sure I will be helping Tesla work out the bugs, and I am OK with that.

Then I get back in the line for a AWD P.

Then get back in line for a Y.

I normally hang on to a car for a long time, but Tesla is changing my behavior. Hopefully we will see a good resale value with the M3 when the time comes to trade.

I have seen information (speculation, to me) on other sites that indicate that all AWD models will come only in the "P" variant. This is exactly the config I want but because I don't want to wait too long, I will opt for the earliest version I can get: RWD version.

I really doubt that. Audi, BMW and Mercedes all offer AWD as about a $2,000 option on their sedans and in some markets the AWD variants are making up 90% of sedan sales.

A $7,500 or what-not "AWD P only" variant is dead on arrival.

Reactions: Kacey Green
I'm going to skip AWD also. As it is, the Model 3 I'm going to choose is by far the most expensive car I have ever bought. And since none of my cars for the past 20 years have been AWD and I haven't had any problems with any of them, skipping the option is not really a difficult choice to save at least $5k between the difference in the tax credit and the cost of the option.

It was a nice idea while it lasted, but (surprising to me) I prefer spending the money on the upgraded interior.