Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Going to purchase "new" 100D 2018 non-raven. Is this a mistake?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys, so I recently put a deposit on a new 2018 100D $67K. It comes with enhanced AP and unlimited SC if I purchase before the end of the month, so I thought that was a favorable offer. It's considered a new car according to Tesla (less than 100 miles on odometer), but I'm a little hesitant because it's a non-Raven model with 330mi. My question for you guys are: (1) does the Raven model w/ adaptive suspension and permanent front magnet make a substantial different on ride quality and range (60 - 70 extra miles seems like quite a difference) on real-world usage (2) is $67k for a "new" 2018 100D with enhanced autopilot and unlimited SC a good deal? Thanks all!

Hey guys, so I recently put a deposit on a new 2018 100D $67K. It comes with enhanced AP and unlimited SC if I purchase before the end of the month, so I thought that was a favorable offer. It's considered a new car according to Tesla (less than 100 miles on odometer), but I'm a little hesitant because it's a non-Raven model with 330mi. My question for you guys are: (1) does the Raven model w/ adaptive suspension and permanent front magnet make a substantial different on ride quality and range (60 - 70 extra miles seems like quite a difference) on real-world usage (2) is $67k for a "new" 2018 100D with enhanced autopilot and unlimited SC a good deal? Thanks all!

Id day it’s a good deal. I paid 104k for a 2017 S90D. Then paid another 5k for Full Self Driving.

Haven’t been in a Raven but from what I have read, the suspension improvements are noticeable.

On real world usage, my 294 miles has been enough for me for daily and long distance trips. Count on 20-30% less in really cold weather.

Raven is nice but so is cash savings. Both have 100kwh batteries.

Frankly it's a good decision either way but new model S just had a 5k price reduction so the price delta isn't as large as a month ago, so do think if money savings is important to you because Raven is smoother and has more range and stop mode. Otherwise they're going to be very similar. 3.7s 0 to 60 for rave faster than 4.1 listed for 100D.

• Helpful
Reactions: Brando and Bixby MS
Thanks @croman, I agree completely. One thing I forgot to mention was that it has the moonroof option and MCU2 (built in Nov 2018) so that's a positive. While the added acceleration is appealing for the Raven, it's more about whether the added range and ride quality are going to make me second guess my decision.

I had a nonraven loaner model S for a few days while my car was in service and I can tell you the difference in ride quality is almost night and day. The adaptive air suspension in closer to german luxury car competitors which is a big compliment. The other immediate difference I noticed was the lack of regen down to a stop. It completely changes how the car feels especially when driving on hills due to the subsequent lack of auto-hold. I know it sounds small but in the real world, you will appreciate it having those two features a lot. Those two for me were probably the biggest differences that were noticeable on a day to day. I wouldn't focus on the range as either way you are getting stellar numbers. You can basically just set the battery to show the percentage and never think about it again since you'll rarely be coming close to low assuming a charge every night. If those first two don't matter to you id just go for the 100D! (although I would strongly recommend driving them back to back if at all possible) :)

• Helpful
Reactions: Brando and Bixby MS
Thank you @liludiivert! Very interesting, I didn't know there was that much of a difference in the strength of regen brakes between the raven and non-raven... That's really good to know. I might have to look into that, however I only have a week to make a decision as the FUSC offer will end in a week. This is really helpful, thank you!

Thank you @liludiivert! Very interesting, I didn't know there was that much of a difference in the strength of regen brakes between the raven and non-raven... That's really good to know. I might have to look into that, however I only have a week to make a decision as the FUSC offer will end in a week. This is really helpful, thank you!
Of course! I would call your local tesla dealer and ask them for a Model S test drive. The process is usually very easy especially if you're in the market to buy one soon. I see you're in San Francisco area, I was able to get an overnight test drive with no questions asked at the dealer in Dublin back when I was in the market for mine. Good luck!

Reactions: Bixby MS
Raven is nice but so is cash savings. Both have 100kwh batteries.

Frankly it's a good decision either way but new model S just had a 5k price reduction so the price delta isn't as large as a month ago, so do think if money savings is important to you because Raven is smoother and has more range and stop mode. Otherwise they're going to be very similar. 3.7s 0 to 60 for rave faster than 4.1 listed for 100D.

fyi the non raven 100D was listed at 4.1 but in real world driving is shown to consistently achieve 3.7 and in some cases 3.6. There are even some Raven owners who feel their car doesn’t feel as fast as the 100D non. Perhaps how the power curve is set who knows!

I have one of the last non raven 100d’s with pano roof option and I’d never give it up :)

Having said this if a brand new 2020 with 400 miles range was only 10k more? I’d go new w the adaptive air.

Reactions: outdoors
fyi the non raven 100D was listed at 4.1 but in real world driving is shown to consistently achieve 3.7 and in some cases 3.6. There are even some Raven owners who feel their car doesn’t feel as fast as the 100D non. Perhaps how the power curve is set who knows!

I have one of the last non raven 100d’s with pano roof option and I’d never give it up :)

Having said this if a brand new 2020 with 400 miles range was only 10k more? I’d go new w the adaptive air.
Nice! Are you using a draggy? Also, how would you say the non-raven ride quality compares with a model 3? Have only driven a model 3, model x and model s (both raven).

The question on my mind would be - where was this car for the last 2 years that it racked up less than 100 miles on the odometer? Was it a car damaged in transit, or one that failed QA at the factory, or a lemon buyback? 1.5-2.5 years is a long time for a new car to sit somewhere, even considering how long it takes to get parts from Tesla parts supply channel (if it needed them to be fixed).

Nice! Are you using a draggy? Also, how would you say the non-raven ride quality compares with a model 3? Have only driven a model 3, model x and model s (both raven).

I’d say MS non raven fits right in the middle between M3 and Raven MS. Maybe slightly towards raven. It’s still an air susp compared to coil for M3.

Myself I used a powertools app. I do runA consistently 0-100km 3.8/3.9 (3.6/3.7 0-60) with 80-90% power, flat road, dry and around 20c or 70F. Best ever was 3.7 sec 0-100 at 100% charge.

At the time Tesla didn’t want to portray a sub 4 second 100D and take some sales off their higher margin P100D big brother.

4.2 sec down to 2.7 is quite the speed jump for upgrading to the P and justified the heavy 45k usd price increase back then.
3.6 to 2.7...not so much and likely there would have been fewer P’s sold.

Glad Tesla finally gave way to real world specs..at least in power if not range lol

• Informative
The question on my mind would be - where was this car for the last 2 years that it racked up less than 100 miles on the odometer? Was it a car damaged in transit, or one that failed QA at the factory, or a lemon buyback? 1.5-2.5 years is a long time for a new car to sit somewhere, even considering how long it takes to get parts from Tesla parts supply channel (if it needed them to be fixed).

With a satisfactory and plausible answer to this question, I think it's 50-50 between the 100D and a Raven. It is true that the Raven suspension feels more refined and lifts the whole ride quality, but so does the pano! And this would probably be the last of the recent spec cars to have that option, so I'm sure that will help come resale time. Even if the roof comes back, I'm sure it will be at a price.

Without an answer, I would lean towards a Raven.

Last edited:
Hey guys, so I recently put a deposit on a new 2018 100D $67K. It comes with enhanced AP and unlimited SC if I purchase before the end of the month, so I thought that was a favorable offer. It's considered a new car according to Tesla (less than 100 miles on odometer)

A new 2018 with less than 100 miles?? I wonder where it has been sitting and why. Would be curious to know what the backstory is on this car. The original sticker price even with just EAP would've been around $103k. Of course, prices have come down since 2018 as you can get a new custom order 2020 MS LR+ starting at $76k but without FUSC.

Does your city or state offer any tax credits/rebates on new? If so, that would be something to factor in. You say "it's a new car according to Tesla" but is it a new car according to your city/state?