Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Going to purchase "new" 100D 2018 non-raven. Is this a mistake?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a late 2018 with EAP, Pano roof, MCU2, AP2.5 and unlimited SC. You would be getting a great car at substantial discount with the most useful options. EAP offers the best of FSD that currently works without paying the premium. And I personally enjoy the Pano once and awhile. So I really think it comes down to the cost savings vs. benefits of Raven suspension / performance.
Thank you! This is encouraging to hear from a fellow happy non-Raven owner. Say, are you getting the 225kw/h charging rate?

Actually, the Tesla website says "Free unlimited supercharging included on all Model S and X inventory orders delivered by June 30th."

Tesla has been strategically using that from time to time. We have a pre-Raven existing inventory MX 100D that we took delivery on June 10, 2019. After June 30 of last year, the early batches of Raven cars did not come with FUSC. Then they had it again, I believe for the Q3 end of the quarter push and kept it there.

@Tech Dane - If it's your first Model S, raven or non-raven, I'm sure you'd be happy with it. Especially if it's your first EV. It'll change the way you look at cars in terms of luxury and performance. Make sure you leave some room to PPF at least the front if you do any highway driving. That big bumper is a magnet for rock chips. Either way, good luck and enjoy!

I agree that the Raven is a better car (like most things, if you want to see what's wrong with your car, look at the next model and the improvements). That said, it is a significant price delta. If you buy the 2018, you will be thrilled with what is a GREAT car. If you buy the Raven, you will be thrilled with what is a GREAT car. The difference is how much money you are going to spend. I bought a 2017 90D new and chose not to upgrade my order to a 100D when they came out. Some will say I have a crappier battery and the 100Ds are much better cars. In my mind I look at it like buying any piece of tech...when you buy, within six months there will be something newer out there, so you can't play the envy game for the newer item unless you are a "money is no object" kind of person. I am very happy with my 2017 and will likely keep it another 5+ years. Yes I could trade it in, spend another 30K out of pocket and get a new Raven (which is a better car) but the upgrades aren't worth 30K to me. I'm happy with what I have.

WRT your concerns about the 2 year old car with low mileage, it sounds like it is a November 2018 build which means it was likely delivered in December or January, so really we're talking about an 18 month old car. I am familiar with other show rooms which keep cars for long periods like that when it is a HUGE pain to move the car in and out. For example, the Tesla Gallery in Tysons Corner, Virginia is on the second floor of a shopping mall and not near any of the mall entrances. To swap out cars, they have to: (1) clear all the kiosks on the route to an exit, (2) remove all the doors and glass surround at the entrance, (3) bring in a crane, (4) pull the existing car out of the showroom to the elevated walkway, (5) crane it to the ground level, (6) crane the new car to the upper level, (7) pull the new car into the showroom, (8) get the crane and old car out of the mall, (9) reinstall all the doors/entranceway, (10) reinstall all the kiosks/signage. This is NOT a cheap endeavor and I could easily see leaving a car there for 18+ months. We are informed Tesla owners, but to a visitor at a mall show room, a Model S with MCU2 is effectively identical to the newest Model S on the street. Remember, the doors are open, the car is powered up, you can play with the touchscreen, but the car doesn't drive, suspension doesn't matter, etc.

Was it me, I would buy the 2018 car but you have to decide if the extra ~$10K is worth having the Raven or not. Either way, you will be happy with your car. Good luck and let us know what you decide!

Tesla has been strategically using that from time to time. We have a pre-Raven existing inventory MX 100D that we took delivery on June 10, 2019. After June 30 of last year, the early batches of Raven cars did not come with FUSC. Then they had it again, I believe for the Q3 end of the quarter push and kept it there.

True. Tesla has been known to give special offers or extra discounts during month or quarter end periods. They are also currently offering 1 year free supercharging on new M3s delivered by June 30.

I agree that the Raven is a better car (like most things, if you want to see what's wrong with your car, look at the next model and the improvements). That said, it is a significant price delta. If you buy the 2018, you will be thrilled with what is a GREAT car. If you buy the Raven, you will be thrilled with what is a GREAT car. The difference is how much money you are going to spend. I bought a 2017 90D new and chose not to upgrade my order to a 100D when they came out. Some will say I have a crappier battery and the 100Ds are much better cars. In my mind I look at it like buying any piece of tech...when you buy, within six months there will be something newer out there, so you can't play the envy game for the newer item unless you are a "money is no object" kind of person. I am very happy with my 2017 and will likely keep it another 5+ years. Yes I could trade it in, spend another 30K out of pocket and get a new Raven (which is a better car) but the upgrades aren't worth 30K to me. I'm happy with what I have.

WRT your concerns about the 2 year old car with low mileage, it sounds like it is a November 2018 build which means it was likely delivered in December or January, so really we're talking about an 18 month old car. I am familiar with other show rooms which keep cars for long periods like that when it is a HUGE pain to move the car in and out. For example, the Tesla Gallery in Tysons Corner, Virginia is on the second floor of a shopping mall and not near any of the mall entrances. To swap out cars, they have to: (1) clear all the kiosks on the route to an exit, (2) remove all the doors and glass surround at the entrance, (3) bring in a crane, (4) pull the existing car out of the showroom to the elevated walkway, (5) crane it to the ground level, (6) crane the new car to the upper level, (7) pull the new car into the showroom, (8) get the crane and old car out of the mall, (9) reinstall all the doors/entranceway, (10) reinstall all the kiosks/signage. This is NOT a cheap endeavor and I could easily see leaving a car there for 18+ months. We are informed Tesla owners, but to a visitor at a mall show room, a Model S with MCU2 is effectively identical to the newest Model S on the street. Remember, the doors are open, the car is powered up, you can play with the touchscreen, but the car doesn't drive, suspension doesn't matter, etc.

Was it me, I would buy the 2018 car but you have to decide if the extra ~$10K is worth having the Raven or not. Either way, you will be happy with your car. Good luck and let us know what you decide!

@drklain This is very encouraging to read and well said so thank you, really. I agree, there will always be something greater out there and I, like many others have to accept that hard reality. However, I feel more confident about purchasing a non-raven after hearing positive things from satisfied pre-raven owners like yourself and others. Still need to talk it over with the wife some more as this would be our first EV purchase and boy is it a whole lot of money. I never dreamed I’d have the opportunity to own a car of this magnitude, but as my old man says, it’s just a car in the end. I digress. Thank you for your insight!

Last edited:
Reactions: GSP
I owned a 2017 MS and upgraded to a 2020 a couple months ago. I can tell you without a doubt it's worth going with the raven. It's not just the ride quality and the range to consider.

- The newest generation seats are a massive comfort upgrade
- The 3.0 computer makes the autopilot substantially smoother
- The cooling system is better so the drive train doesn't overheat as easily
- Improved cooling allows for significantly faster supercharging.

If you ever go on a road trip I can tell you that actual charging rates are way less than advertised, especially in the south during the summer, because the system overheats.

@drklain, You need not justify your choices to anyone here. And you didn't need to remind you of that. Everyone that contributed an opinion was simply giving you the best of what they have learned already owning a Tesla. I doubt anyone here will be disappointed if your choice is not a reflection of their advice. All we simply trying to help. If you are happy, go for it.

You might keep in mind that the 2 year old car will be 2 years older when you trade/sell it so you’ll pay less now but you’ll get less later. So if the difference isn’t that great in price I’d go with the Raven, enjoy the better suspension, and it probably won’t cost you that much more in the long run.

The FUSC is nice but if you work out how much you’ll likely use it, it probably isn’t worth as much as you might think. Still, it’s awfully nice to know you could drive from coast to coast and not spend a penny for fuel/electricity. I figure with 10K driving on trips each year, it’s worth about $600 per year. I worked it out a long time ago so recheck the figures if it is important to you.

The newer computer is probably worthwhile. And you are 2 years further from being obsolete. Then there’s the lifetime music streaming that may or may not be part of the Raven. That’s $10 per month, I believe. It isn’t a lot but it’ll be $600 over 5 years, not a lot but free is nice.

Reactions: GSP and Bixby MS
I bought a 2017 100D with FSD about a year ago, I now have over 100k miles on the car. I charge at home every night and during non-COVID times had a 75 mile daily one way commute (150 total per day). This is all highway in Michigan, so I drive 80 MPH in sub-zero temps. My car sits outside in a parking deck all day, and I am able to make it to and from work on the worst of the worst days by using 80% charge (90% initial charge down to 10%). A typical winter day is closer to 70% pack usage, with the best days in the spring and fall dropping as low as 60% consumption of charge.

All that being said, my main concern when buying this car was range. The 330 mile 100D's fit the bill very well for me, and I think I probably have one of the most demanding commutes. I don't feel a need to move up to a raven for more range. Even on road trips, I am ready for a break when my car needs a charge. I drove it home from Georgia to Michigan with no issues, super charging the entire way. I also use the super chargers when I take road trips and never ran out of free credits. Personally, I wouldn't place that much value on free unlimited super charging because charging at home is much more convenient.

I will say that the new HW3.0 computer is a major improvement over the 2.0 computer that was in my car. I'm glad I have a car with FSD and am excited to see how it evolves in the future. I also think I will be paying to upgrade the MCU to MCU2 in the near future here, just to keep the car feeling young.

Sorry for the rambling stream of thought, but I hope it helps.

So just an update, I picked up my "new inventory" 2018 100D today. All I can say is I am so very glad my wife and I made this decision. The ride quality is definitely smooth enough for me personally, and I'm a happy camper with the unlimited supercharging. Although apparently FUSC doesn't kick in until July 1st for whatever reason. Anyway, thanks everyone for your input. I hope to contribute and share my learning experiences with future Tesla or potential MS owners as so many have done for me on TMC!

So just an update, I picked up my "new inventory" 2018 100D today. All I can say is I am so very glad my wife and I made this decision. The ride quality is definitely smooth enough for me personally, and I'm a happy camper with the unlimited supercharging. Although apparently FUSC doesn't kick in until July 1st for whatever reason. Anyway, thanks everyone for your input. I hope to contribute and share my learning experiences with future Tesla or potential MS owners as so many have done for me on TMC!

Great news! Keep an eye on the supercharging after July 1 to make sure it goes through okay. There have been reports of people not getting their free miles in the past. They get it sorted out eventually. I think right now they are just moving as fast as they can through the end of this month to deliver as many vehicles as possible. (Important quarter for Tesla).

• Informative
Congrats!! Welcome to the best car you will ever own :) The 100D MCU2 w/pano? I’m biased there...best balance of power and range :) send some pics of the ext/int.

Mine is a 2018 July build Mcred on cream w/pano and 72amp charging w/unlim SC. Couldn’t be happier.

Congrats! Good deal with $10k post tax savings. I have mixed feeling about raven too. I would love the suspension but the other features I would give up make it a harder sell. I have 2017 S90D with FSD and MCU2 upgrade and the pano roof, leather, ventilated seats, wood trim I like, more trunk space because no sub etc.

I’m not sure if this is just my imaging it but post FSD upgrade I could swear my old air suspension is smoother and more balanced.

Honestly $66k seems a bit high. Only $9k more to get a lot more, no questions about the low mileage and showroom status, new car smell, minus EAP. Makes me feel pretty good about $46k for my carmax trade in of a 2017 100D with coil suspension, textile seats, and 53k miles tho.

Congrats!! Welcome to the best car you will ever own :) The 100D MCU2 w/pano? I’m biased there...best balance of power and range :) send some pics of the ext/int.

Mine is a 2018 July build Mcred on cream w/pano and 72amp charging w/unlim SC. Couldn’t be happier.

hello

@Navsarin
Mine is 2017 s100d, took delivery June 3

have standard suspension, thought was getting air.
MCU1.
Ap3 now.
No hepa filter

Do you know if it has a filter?

I noticed you trade often.
Getting mine front ppf. Then ceramic coating.
Tinted already done last week.

any tips welcomed.

mine Is midnight silver.
Use same name like yours.

thanks

Hey guys, so I recently put a deposit on a new 2018 100D $67K. It comes with enhanced AP and unlimited SC if I purchase before the end of the month, so I thought that was a favorable offer. It's considered a new car according to Tesla (less than 100 miles on odometer), but I'm a little hesitant because it's a non-Raven model with 330mi. My question for you guys are: (1) does the Raven model w/ adaptive suspension and permanent front magnet make a substantial different on ride quality and range (60 - 70 extra miles seems like quite a difference) on real-world usage (2) is $67k for a "new" 2018 100D with enhanced autopilot and unlimited SC a good deal? Thanks all!

That's a great deal, especially if they are selling you the car as a NEW CAR with the full new car warranty. That's a great find!

I personally would like to have a Model S with a panoramic sunroof that the Ravel suspension plus front motor. 90% of my driving is around town and I use the the sunroof quite extensively about 7 months of the year.

After getting used to the sunroof I find cars with a sealed glass roof to be almost cave-like :p

Also great you are getting unlimited SC. DO you know if the car has MCU 2.0 (the center display)?

My 1st MS was late 2015 P90D. I liked the unlimited supercharging but as time went on and improvements came, in Sept of 2019 I upgraded to the Raven MS. Lucked out because at that time I was able to keep unlimited supercharging and got "free" ludicrous since I was doing a trade-in. The main reason for the upgrade is the future FSD with the new processor. I do miss the loss of AM radio.

Reactions: Bixby MS