Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Going to purchase "new" 100D 2018 non-raven. Is this a mistake?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The question on my mind would be - where was this car for the last 2 years that it racked up less than 100 miles on the odometer? Was it a car damaged in transit, or one that failed QA at the factory, or a lemon buyback? 1.5-2.5 years is a long time for a new car to sit somewhere, even considering how long it takes to get parts from Tesla parts supply channel (if it needed them to be fixed).

Yup there has to be a catch

A 2018 100D that's just been sitting collecting dust. Doesn't make sense

Reactions: Bixby MS
That is a good deal, EAP, sunroof and free SC are all legacy products that you can no longer get. EAP is essentially FSD for highways.
A new 2018 with less than 100 miles?? I wonder where it has been sitting and why. Would be curious to know what the backstory is on this car. The original sticker price even with just EAP would've been around $103k. Of course, prices have come down since 2018 as you can get a new custom order 2020 MS LR+ starting at $76k but without FUSC.

Does your city or state offer any tax credits/rebates on new? If so, that would be something to factor in. You say "it's a new car according to Tesla" but is it a new car according to your city/state?

good point and I assumed it was a showroom car. Confirmed that it was indeed a showroom car. Is that something to be concerned about? Thanks for the advice.

Yup there has to be a catch

A 2018 100D that's just been sitting collecting dust. Doesn't make sense

I just confirmed it was a showroom car. Not sure if that’s a good or bad thing, but I noticed there was a $13k price reduction, most likely due to depreciation and to reflect the price changes on the new Raven 2020 LR models (recent $5k reduction).

I just confirmed it was a showroom car. Not sure if that’s a good or bad thing, but I noticed there was a $13k price reduction, most likely due to depreciation and to reflect the price changes on the new Raven 2020 LR models (recent $5k reduction).

I would make sure that they are going to properly clean the interior. The seats and dash might be in rough shape from all the people and kids playing around in it. Also make sure it has mcu2

• Helpful
A new 2018 with less than 100 miles?? I wonder where it has been sitting and why. Would be curious to know what the backstory is on this car. The original sticker price even with just EAP would've been around $103k. Of course, prices have come down since 2018 as you can get a new custom order 2020 MS LR+ starting at $76k but without FUSC.

Does your city or state offer any tax credits/rebates on new? If so, that would be something to factor in. You say "it's a new car according to Tesla" but is it a new car according to your city/state?

Idk just seems odd for even a showroom car to sit for 2 years. They usually swap them out as newer features come out.

Yeah that’s a good point. Personally, I think it’s pretty reasonable to price a “new” showroom non-raven (old air susp & front induction motor) for approximately $9-10k cheaper than a new raven LR that’s now starting at $75k, granted no mode EAP. However, I don’t discount what you’re saying.

I would make sure that they are going to properly clean the interior. The seats and dash might be in rough shape from all the people and kids playing around in it. Also make sure it has mcu2

Yeah I tried to but they couldn’t confirm that. Although they did confirm it was built in Nov ‘2018. Although that doesn’t necessarily mean all the components were built in November of 2019.

Surprising that they would've kept a "showroom car" sitting around basically unused for over a year and a half but if that's their story, I guess it's all you have to go on.

A $13k price reduction versus what? A similar 2020? Against its original sticker price in 2018, the reduction would be much higher than $13k. More like $36k or more.

That is a good deal, EAP, sunroof and free SC are all legacy products that you can no longer get. EAP is essentially FSD for highways.
You’re right! Say, how do you compare
Surprising that they would've kept a "showroom car" sitting around basically unused for over a year and a half but if that's their story, I guess it's all you have to go on.

A $13k price reduction versus what? A similar 2020? Against its original sticker price in 2018, the reduction would be much higher than $13k. More like $36k or more.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-06-25 at 10.29.55 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-25 at 10.29.55 AM.png
    175 KB · Views: 70
I had a nonraven loaner model S for a few days while my car was in service and I can tell you the difference in ride quality is almost night and day. The adaptive air suspension in closer to german luxury car competitors which is a big compliment. The other immediate difference I noticed was the lack of regen down to a stop. It completely changes how the car feels especially when driving on hills due to the subsequent lack of auto-hold. I know it sounds small but in the real world, you will appreciate it having those two features a lot. Those two for me were probably the biggest differences that were noticeable on a day to day. I wouldn't focus on the range as either way you are getting stellar numbers. You can basically just set the battery to show the percentage and never think about it again since you'll rarely be coming close to low assuming a charge every night. If those first two don't matter to you id just go for the 100D! (although I would strongly recommend driving them back to back if at all possible) :)
Totally agree, I had the exact same impressions. The regen and immediate, auto-hold differences were very noticeable.

I strongly advice to shop the existing inventory page on Tesla's website. Last time I looked (last week) there were 2020 Raven MS with AP & FSD & FUSC in the mid to high $70k.

My advice to folks buying an EV, especially a Tesla - you're not buying a car. You're buying a piece of tech. Get the newest one you can afford and prepare to see an even newer one shortly after you bought yours. Personally, given the price delta, I'd go with the cheapest Raven I can get my hands on. Timing is also perfect over the next 5 days.

Good luck @Tech Dane !

Reactions: GSP and Bixby MS
Thanks @croman, I agree completely. One thing I forgot to mention was that it has the moonroof option and MCU2 (built in Nov 2018) so that's a positive. While the added acceleration is appealing for the Raven, it's more about whether the added range and ride quality are going to make me second guess my decision.

I have a late 2018 with EAP, Pano roof, MCU2, AP2.5 and unlimited SC. You would be getting a great car at substantial discount with the most useful options. EAP offers the best of FSD that currently works without paying the premium. And I personally enjoy the Pano once and awhile. So I really think it comes down to the cost savings vs. benefits of Raven suspension / performance.