Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Going to purchase "new" 100D 2018 non-raven. Is this a mistake?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think it’s just a standard 4 yr/50k mike warranty.

There's always an additional warranty on the battery and drive units. All S/X (except 60kwh packs) had 8yr unlimited miles but now they limit the miles to 150k or something lame but they also explicitly cover battery degredation but it's also to 70 percent which is very bad for a Tesla, so the warranty is less useful now.

I bought a 2017 100D with FSD about a year ago, I now have over 100k miles on the car. I charge at home every night and during non-COVID times had a 75 mile daily one way commute (150 total per day). This is all highway in Michigan, so I drive 80 MPH in sub-zero temps. My car sits outside in a parking deck all day, and I am able to make it to and from work on the worst of the worst days by using 80% charge (90% initial charge down to 10%). A typical winter day is closer to 70% pack usage, with the best days in the spring and fall dropping as low as 60% consumption of charge.

All that being said, my main concern when buying this car was range. The 330 mile 100D's fit the bill very well for me, and I think I probably have one of the most demanding commutes. I don't feel a need to move up to a raven for more range. Even on road trips, I am ready for a break when my car needs a charge. I drove it home from Georgia to Michigan with no issues, super charging the entire way. I also use the super chargers when I take road trips and never ran out of free credits. Personally, I wouldn't place that much value on free unlimited super charging because charging at home is much more convenient.

I will say that the new HW3.0 computer is a major improvement over the 2.0 computer that was in my car. I'm glad I have a car with FSD and am excited to see how it evolves in the future. I also think I will be paying to upgrade the MCU to MCU2 in the near future here, just to keep the car feeling young.

Sorry for the rambling stream of thought, but I hope it helps.

@rjshar two days in and I couldn’t be happier with the 100D. IMHO I would choose the mcu2 upgrade, granted I have not had much, if any experience with an X/S with mcu1. MCU2 is very snappy with very little lag similar to the 3 (not sure if it’s the exact same processor just with a diff screen).

That's a great deal, especially if they are selling you the car as a NEW CAR with the full new car warranty. That's a great find!

I personally would like to have a Model S with a panoramic sunroof that the Ravel suspension plus front motor. 90% of my driving is around town and I use the the sunroof quite extensively about 7 months of the year.

After getting used to the sunroof I find cars with a sealed glass roof to be almost cave-like :p

Also great you are getting unlimited SC. DO you know if the car has MCU 2.0 (the center display)?
It does! Someone told me you know it’s mcu2 if you can watch Hulu/Netflix and I can. But I haven’t confirmed if that’s a true statement.

Last edited:
Congratulations on the new car. Just to put things in perspective, you have a car a year newer than mine, the increased range and performance of the 100D over my 75D, and you paid 2/3 of what I paid for mine.

Mine is the best car I’ve ever had, it’s a joy every time I drive it. You’ve done extremely well, my friend.

Yea, I've got a 75D and I'm plenty happy. We take (well, pre-pandemic) 4-5 big road trips and I've never had an issue with charge speed (we have 2 kids and frankly we've rarely waited for the car to finish charging on ANY stop).

I think the hype over LR+ is really just that -- hype. Car says 402 miles but any weather or inefficiency will hit that car harder (i.e. rain will drop that 402 to 340 and cold will drop that a further 10-20%). The 6kw PTC heater still takes the same energy and so drivetrain efficiencies can easily be lost resulting in greater range anxiety (which is ironic). If it was actually a bigger pack, then that would be made somewhat irrelevant.

Regardless, a 100kwh battery is a big plus.

Congratulations on the new car. Just to put things in perspective, you have a car a year newer than mine, the increased range and performance of the 100D over my 75D, and you paid 2/3 of what I paid for mine.

Mine is the best car I’ve ever had, it’s a joy every time I drive it. You’ve done extremely well, my friend.
Thank you! Feeling so grateful

Yea, I've got a 75D and I'm plenty happy. We take (well, pre-pandemic) 4-5 big road trips and I've never had an issue with charge speed (we have 2 kids and frankly we've rarely waited for the car to finish charging on ANY stop).

I think the hype over LR+ is really just that -- hype. Car says 402 miles but any weather or inefficiency will hit that car harder (i.e. rain will drop that 402 to 340 and cold will drop that a further 10-20%). The 6kw PTC heater still takes the same energy and so drivetrain efficiencies can easily be lost resulting in greater range anxiety (which is ironic). If it was actually a bigger pack, then that would be made somewhat irrelevant.

Regardless, a 100kwh battery is a big plus.
60D, 75D, 100D, LR it’s all good! I took the car out yesterday up some canyon roads and oh my word.

• Love
Reactions: GSP
It does! Someone told me you know it’s mcu2 if you can watch Hulu/Netflix and I can. But I haven’t confirmed if that’s a true statement.

Congrats again!

Make sure you buy yourself an SSD or high endurance SD Card and USB adapter and enable TeslaCam right away so you have dash cam functionality as well as Sentry video recordings.

Don't delay. Do it before you forget! Since you have MCU 2.0, you are all set to enable this.

Last edited:
you made the right decision, similar to mine when I bought a loaner 2018 in 2019, wanted the sunroof and EAP both of which are no longer available, I did not get the FSCFL at that time so you did well, use it, depreciate it, who cares

Reactions: Bixby MS
Here some shots. 69E83677-D842-42EC-BF91-02B3E668659C.jpegE11C11FC-A09F-4981-A921-B1C53C7602CA.jpeg

Attachments

• 5FB91DB0-0C82-483C-8C47-D474D320AA30.jpeg
    5FB91DB0-0C82-483C-8C47-D474D320AA30.jpeg
    33.4 KB · Views: 41
  • Love
Reactions: croman and Bixby MS