Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd love to take a factory tour, but I guess for now, the only way to do that is while you're picking up your new car. How about a fair trade? I'll give you a ride to the factory from Southern California in my Model S, if I can tag along on your factory tour as your guest. I work in L.A. and I live in Santa Barbara. With one stop in Gilroy for a supercharge, we'll make it no problem. Any takers? You can contact me directly at [email protected]

I'd love to take a factory tour, but I guess for now, the only way to do that is while you're picking up your new car. How about a fair trade? I'll give you a ride to the factory from Southern California in my Model S, if I can tag along on your factory tour as your guest. I work in L.A. and I live in Santa Barbara. With one stop in Gilroy for a supercharge, we'll make it no problem. Any takers? You can contact me directly at [email protected]

David - sounds like a great offer. I'd take you up if I were in so cal, but alas I'm up in Oregon. If you're bold enough, it sounds like one strategy is to show up at the lobby in Fremont and ask families as they assemble if you can tag along. With your ownership experience I would guess that folks would jump at the chance to hear your questions during the tour.

One additional request - if you do go on tour - is to look to see if any of the new Red colors are starting to emerge. Some of us are turning blue as we wait for red.....

Good luck!

:-/ I see Santa Barbara to Gilroy is 249 miles, which is a nice scenic route but only possible if you go a steady 55 or so (I remember this stretch as being fairly hilly). I would recommend cutting over to I-5 at Paso Robles and go to Harris Ranch supercharger for 199 miles and some peace of mind (but also getting some nice stretch of pleasant 101 rather than the desert of I-5). My 2 cents...

Rabobanks. 70 amp are blue markers on this map. The Rabobanks have been switched out from HPCs (Roadster) to J1772, but some on the way to Oregon are still HPC and would require Model S owners to carry the HPC adapter.

Tesla Highway - Google Maps

Thank you Bonnie. A couple of follow-up questions:
- The ones converted to J1772, are they still capable of 70A and will I benefit from it with twin chargers on the Model S?
- How do I find a HPC to Model S converter? From the info on your weblink it seems these are hard to come by.
- How do I know which blue markers have been converted to J1772?

Hopefully this isn't too far off-topic, since we were talking about the best way to go from SB to Fremont after all...

- The ones converted to J1772, are they still capable of 70A and will I benefit from it with twin chargers on the Model S?
Yes, still 70amp EVSEs.

- How do I find a HPC to Model S converter? From the info on your weblink it seems these are hard to come by.
Model S owners who either currently own a Roadster or had one & installed an HPC at home are first in line, as I understand it. You can ask someone on the forum if they'd be willing to loan one to you. You can also check with Tesla. But I'm not sure you need one for your trip.

- How do I know which blue markers have been converted to J1772?
recargo.com will give you more info. You can search on J1772 and Tesla HPC, select 'more information' and find out the charge level and the connector. FWIW, I know from personal experience that the Rabobank EVSEs along the 101 have been converted to J1772.

Yes, still 70amp EVSEs.

Model S owners who either currently own a Roadster or had one & installed an HPC at home are first in line, as I understand it. You can ask someone on the forum if they'd be willing to loan one to you. You can also check with Tesla.

If you were very lucky and near first in line, you could get the Roadster HPC to S adapter. I have one, and suppose it could be UPSed or something without too much hassle. I live near Napa, and it could be loaned to whomever might want to use it. It is something you would plan to use beforehand: On my Canada trip I used it 4 days out of 10. I have used it only about half a dozen times over all, and when superchargers are more available, won't need it. I don't have a Roadster.

Let me know at stelling at napanet dot net if you find you need it.

Rob