TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Going with 4 seats - no second row

Discussion in 'Model X: Interior & Exterior' started by Axmann Philippe, Mar 5, 2016.

1. Axmann Philippe

Bonjour from France everyone!

First, thank you everyone for all the infos and the pictures on the forum!

I'm about to finalise my configuration (the design studio is now open in France as well). I will use the model x more like a minivan, i have a lot of sport gear to transport. So I am planning to go with the 6 seats config, and then take off the two seats of the second row. I hope it will not be too complicated to do the work, i haven't seen exactly how they are attached. Hard to see on pictures.

Any one has tried it before?

what do you think?

2. Martin VanB

Martin VanB Member

Very daring of you! I would not be comfortable to do that to my own Model X ,but all the power to you. I hope you enjoy your Tesla.

3. omarsultan

omarsultan Active Member

You probably need someone in possession of an MX to comment. While the seats are theoretically removable, my understanding is they have sensors in the 2nd row seats so the vehicle might be unhappy if it can no longer see those sensors.

4. Axmann Philippe

Yes it mat be a problem indeed. I should ask the local dealer if they can do something with the sensors

5. beths11

beths11 THE LONG RANGER

I want the same configuration. Please keep this thread updated as you get more information. Thanks

6. Axmann Philippe

Cargo space will be insane with this configuration!

7. vortexz

vortexz Member

I always have wondered why Tesla doesn't sell a version without the 2nd row ... I bet many of us don't need that 2nd row back there

8. Axmann Philippe

Like this
    Photo 15-02-2016 17 54 11.jpg Photo 05-03-2016 21 10 17.jpg

• Like x 2
  9. KJD

KJD Member

Good idea Axmann. The 2nd row delete should be a factory option.

10. Axmann Philippe

So I asked my local Tesla shop today.

They have no clue how to deal with the airbags sensors in the second row seats that will probably appear as faulty on the central screen.
    Appart from that it should not be a problem to take the seats off as planned. And the seat belt sensors will not create problem according to them.

So I guess without trying we will not have the answer to this question.

Except if someone has an idea?
    Or someone who already has an X and like this configuration would like to try ?

11. mahulkp

mahulkp Member

I had a Chevrolet Transport like 10 y ago and in order to disable passager airbag (for a child seat) you just installed a resistor in the connector to simulate that the airbag was in place. I guess you can do something similar.

12. Mark Z

Mark Z Active Member

Without the second row (or the second row is moved forward without a passenger), the leg space would be luxurious while sitting in the third row rear seats. However, the wheel wells do constrict passenger space on the side. There are no arm rests on the side of the third row. Don't expect limousine comfort.

13. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

We also have had the discussion about a 2-0-2 arrangement.

Pros:
    * really capacious middle, and extremely accessible with the FWDoors.
    * legroom sufficient for your average giraffe

Tradeoffs:
    * the view forward from the missing second row seats is spectacular with the wonderful Prevost-like windshield. From the third row, it's only so-so. That said, the third row qua third row - it's darned good visibility.

Cons:
    * the third row seats definitely are not so good as the second row ones. They are smaller, the vehicle's waist is narrower there and the headroom is inferior.
    * Tesla has put so much effort into those second row seats - with the pedestal they are on, etc. - that, for the moment at least, the effort to extract them is enormous. I very much place that at Tesla's feet as a great big fox paw (sorry, you're French: faux pas); regardless it is, for the moment, something we have to live with.

14. SabrToothSqrl

SabrToothSqrl Active Member

Had a high school gf who's family removed the middle row in a suburban. Back seat was deeeeeeeelux.

she was a great ride.

• Funny x 3
  15. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

I would have ordered if a 4 seat was available with fold flat 2nd row

16. Axmann Philippe

Good to know, it may be a good back up solution!

- - - Updated - - -

Yes the "cons" for me are really not important. We are 95% of time two in the car if I'm not alone in it with my tons of sport gears :). And because they put much effort does not make the seats more useful... they are not foldable :scared:

- - - Updated - - -

I believe Tesla has been involving too much concentration on those second row back seats, and they totally missed the whole point of the SUV.

It has to be spacious and to transports gears. What's the point if the second row seats are not foldable. Big mistake in my opinion.

It can be a luxurious, car but it should answer the purpose it is aimed for. And the purpose I see is to be functional caring people and gears

17. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

I agree 100% with each of your sentiments and have taken pains to horrify every Tesla employee I encounter by letting them know that were I to take delivery today the first thing I would do would be to fire up my grinder and level the second-row pedestals.:scared::cursing::crying:

18. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

I'm quite sure most SUV's transport mostly people, with very little gear, and a small percentage of people actually fold down and/or remove seats. I think Tesla made those calculations and chose accordingly. Just because Tesla didn't make the most useful vehicle for you doesn't mean they made a mistake.

19. Axmann Philippe

Yes of course. But they could have let us the option to configure with 4 seats in case we would use the car more for gears than for people. For a sport utility vehicle it's the least they should do.

- - - Updated - - -

:biggrin: For sure I'll do that as well if I finally decide to pull the trigger on the confirmation of my X's reservation!
    But because all of this, I'm still not 100% convinced to order

- - - Updated - - -

And I also wonder how those falcon wing doors will function in the long run, after being manipulated several time per day ??

20. Darryl

Darryl ModelXTracker.com Co-Adm

You also have to deal with the second row seat ventilation ducts.