Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Going with 4 seats - no second row

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is a real safety concern with this modification, that actually exists with all of the 6&7 seat configurations.

Unless the passenger in the 3rd row is a child or and adult who is short in the thorax, most likely their head will extend up into the rear cargo window recess, which is framed out by the rest of the rear trunk door.

Upon a sudden deceleration or frontal impact, the forehead of the rider in one of these 2 seats will very likely come into contact with the solid window frame, and potentially cause a severe neck or head injury. It could even occur with a rear collision, as the head can recoil forward.

For this reason, i do not allow any adult who is tall enough for this to occur to sit in the 3rd row.

Overprotective??? Perhaps yes, but this is a real safety oversight in the design, that should come with a warning from Tesla.

• Funny
Reactions: dragonxt
There was a pic posted in #27 of this thread, also saw it elsewhere...where the 2nd row seats were removed.

That makes for a very tight set of passenger seats... except for amazing leg room

4-seater.JPG

Haven't heard anything about any seat configuration changes for 3rd row, which I never use anyway... empty-nester, grand kids years away..

Curious, you plan to follow through on your Model 3 reservation? Only keeping mine for a possible family member that otherwise might miss the $7500 tax credit based on their reservation number.

Haven't heard anything about any seat configuration changes for 3rd row, which I never use anyway... empty-nester, grand kids years away..

Curious, you plan to follow through on your Model 3 reservation? Only keeping mine for a possible family member that otherwise might miss the $7500 tax credit based on their reservation number.
In the early models there is no room for a third row passenger outside arm and in the newer ones it looks like there is a little space carved out next to the seat and no leather panel.
The M3 is to replace the other car in the garage.

That would definitely be an improvement for comfort, just by altering the inside molding.

My biggest complaint of the 3rd row for an adult is the risk of smacking their forehead against the frame of the cargo door window, if they are tall enough, as most are.

A sudden stop or front collision can potentially cause a significant head or neck injury.

I am disappointing Tesla does not provide a warning about this, but if they are not required to, it's not something they want to advertise.

I wish I could convince my wife to give up her Cayenne, but not likely.

• Disagree
Reactions: CarsonGallo
Better call
Bonjour from France everyone!

First, thank you everyone for all the infos and the pictures on the forum!

I'm about to finalise my configuration (the design studio is now open in France as well). I will use the model x more like a minivan, i have a lot of sport gear to transport. So I am planning to go with the 6 seats config, and then take off the two seats of the second row. I hope it will not be too complicated to do the work, i haven't seen exactly how they are attached. Hard to see on pictures.

Any one has tried it before?

what do you think?
the dealers and good luck with it. Cheers

Have you fully evaluated the functionality of the 3rd row seats if you plan to actually use them for passengers? They are very tight, and as I have previously mentioned, there is a safety factor with an adult in these seats as their heads typically extend into the window "pop-up". A sudden stop of a frontal collision can lead to a serious neck or head injury if the forehead suddenly meets the door frame.

I am moving from a 6-seater to a 5-seater for mostly this reason, as I have no small children to transport, and prefer the rear cargo space.

I suggest you really consider your plan carefully. For a if all you want if a 2-seater cargo vehicle, you may do better with a 5-seater and then remove the 2nd row, but your plan does retain those third row seats I suppose.

Be safe

Bonjour from France everyone!

First, thank you everyone for all the infos and the pictures on the forum!

I'm about to finalise my configuration (the design studio is now open in France as well). I will use the model x more like a minivan, i have a lot of sport gear to transport. So I am planning to go with the 6 seats config, and then take off the two seats of the second row. I hope it will not be too complicated to do the work, i haven't seen exactly how they are attached. Hard to see on pictures.

Any one has tried it before?

what do you think?

Hi...

I’m rather enthralled with the Model X. The vehicle is very enticing but I need to adapt the seating layout to accommodate my wheelchair. I require the seat behind the driver’s seat removed from the 5 seat configuration. The attached jpg shows my requirement but no one seems to be aware of process. I have the lift mechanism just need the blank pallet.F144EC5A-F492-40C5-9A5A-55FAFD9F9E26.jpeg

How would I get this done?

Appreciate your input!

•To remove the middle bench, you first have to remove the sill plates. You will probably break the sill plates in the process, so be prepared to buy new ones.
•Once you remove the sill plates, remove the floor.
•Once you remove the floor, unbolt the benches, and unplug them.
•Be aware that you will always get an error message that the car cannot communicate with the seats, and that the airbags will always be off. Furthermore, you will need to plug the seats back in to install any software updates or have any major fix done to your car.