Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Going with 4 seats - no second row

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Fold flat, kinda, but disappear into the floor of the car? No. Thus, to do what Coastalquad wants to do, a bench, possibly both, must be removed.
Oh well then, there goes my notion of buying a camper-capable EV after my S lease expires...wait - don't other mfrs. have seats that submarine completely into the floor though? Oh wait, no batteries to get in the way...

•To remove the middle bench, you first have to remove the sill plates. You will probably break the sill plates in the process, so be prepared to buy new ones.
•Once you remove the sill plates, remove the floor.
•Once you remove the floor, unbolt the benches, and unplug them.
•Be aware that you will always get an error message that the car cannot communicate with the seats, and that the airbags will always be off. Furthermore, you will need to plug the seats back in to install any software updates or have any major fix done to your car.
I appreciate your response, David.

Reactions: DavidB
I just saw an interesting way of carrying a wheelchair in a Tesla.

ROLLSTUHLVERLADEHILFE Robot 3000 in einem TESLA MODEL S
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67WDGlds_pM

Google Translate:
WHEELCHAIR RELIEF ASSIST Robot 3000 in a TESLA MODEL S
State-of-the-art wheelchair loading technology in one of the most modern electric vehicles in the luxury class: Our Paravan technicians have done a great job and for the first time installed a wheelchair loading system Robot 3000 in a new Tesla Model S. Made to measure at the highest level. More information on mobility for people with disabilities: Paravan - Spezialist für behindertengerechte Fahrzeugumbauten
About wheelchair accessibility: Rollstuhlverladesysteme für Autos (flexibel & schnell) - Paravan
Our Twitter account: Paravan GmbH (@Paravan_Mobil) | Twitter

•To remove the middle bench, you first have to remove the sill plates. You will probably break the sill plates in the process, so be prepared to buy new ones.
•Once you remove the sill plates, remove the floor.
•Once you remove the floor, unbolt the benches, and unplug them.
•Be aware that you will always get an error message that the car cannot communicate with the seats, and that the airbags will always be off. Furthermore, you will need to plug the seats back in to install any software updates or have any major fix done to your car.
I tried this long ago with my 5-seater. Software would not update.

So I got used to heaving/"rolling" my wheelchair from the ground up to the insanely high platform atop the folded second row seats. Forces me to keep up with basic physical therapy exercises and stay flexible. It's no fun removing and replacing the rear seats; the center/left set ALONE has 10 wire harness connections and has a computer module in the seat.

I just saw an interesting way of carrying a wheelchair in a Tesla.

ROLLSTUHLVERLADEHILFE Robot 3000 in einem TESLA MODEL S
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67WDGlds_pM

Google Translate:
WHEELCHAIR RELIEF ASSIST Robot 3000 in a TESLA MODEL S
State-of-the-art wheelchair loading technology in one of the most modern electric vehicles in the luxury class: Our Paravan technicians have done a great job and for the first time installed a wheelchair loading system Robot 3000 in a new Tesla Model S. Made to measure at the highest level. More information on mobility for people with disabilities: Paravan - Spezialist für behindertengerechte Fahrzeugumbauten
About wheelchair accessibility: Rollstuhlverladesysteme für Autos (flexibel & schnell) - Paravan
Our Twitter account: Paravan GmbH (@Paravan_Mobil) | Twitter
$90,000 for a spacious vehicle and I have to stuff it up with a ludicrous, slow motion chair loading robot monstrosity just to load a 35-pound wheelchair.

No Thanks.

Oh well then, there goes my notion of buying a camper-capable EV after my S lease expires...wait - don't other mfrs. have seats that submarine completely into the floor though? Oh wait, no batteries to get in the way...
No, it's not that the batteries get in the way. There's actually a huge space between the level of the second row floor board that is filled in with Styrofoam filler blocks that goes way below door sill level. The top of the battery pack would be much lower than the floor board/door sill plate levels. That's what makes this so frustrating.

• Informative
Reactions: cypho
I tried this long ago with my 5-seater. Software would not update.

… It's no fun removing and replacing the rear seats; the center/left set ALONE has 10 wire harness connections and has a computer module in the seat.
Agreed. I did point out the software issue:

"•Be aware that you will always get an error message that the car cannot communicate with the seats, and that the airbags will always be off. Furthermore, you will need to plug the seats back in to install any software updates or have any major fix done to your car."

However, if you are willing to put up with these inconveniences, it is doable, and I drive all around the USA without the benches.

And removing 400lbs probably increased your range. :)

Love what you did. Great job! Have you tested the wires to see if you could add resisters and/or jumpers to get rid of the codes in the dash due to the seats being out?
Not 400 lbs--and the bed I've installed (high density foam) has some weight to it, so no noticeable increase in range. I have not tried adding resisters and/or jumpers, and I doubt it would work. There is data communication, and shorting out the data line will make the car inoperable. I know, because I accidentally did that once.

Interesting! What did you have to do to clear it? 12v battery disconnect? What code did you get?
I had unknowingly shorted the data line one night, and didn't try to use my car until the next morning. There were over a dozen (false) errors, and none of them had anything to do with the bench, so, dumbass me didn't make the mental connection between the errors that morning and the work I did the night before. I flat bedded my Tesla to the service center (9 miles), and it took them about a half day to track down the short to the plug to the bench. Once they fixed the short, all the errors disappeared.

• Informative
Reactions: UncaNed
Wow. They didnt have an issue with the fact that you removed the seats? Seems like something other companies would charge the customer for. Ill make sure I am careful with the plugs and harnesses if I do this.
Actually, I had just reinstalled the seats, in preparation for a trip with three passengers (I usually drive solo). I'm not sure how I shorted out the plug, but somehow, I did.

Reactions: jimbo69ny