Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Going with Model S 60D Keeping Reservation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As the title suggests with the lower priced S60 being purchased by reservation holders. Are you going with Model S 60D and keeping Model 3 reservation? I don't know if this type thread was started already or not.
So, I will go first:
I reserved a model 3 on 4/2/16 and am somewhere in the 250,000 area for worldwide reservations. Take maybe half off for foreign orders and I am somewhere in the 125,000 area. But I'm in NY so East coast is last depending on options.
Moving on. I ordered with the full intent on waiting until 2018 for the model 3. Stretch the Yukon XL out into the 150k range. Well, I put another $2000 in repairs 2 months ago. That makes about $2000 or so each year for the last 3 on repairs. And I have been itching for an S but did not want to spend that on a car. Then Elon and co. go and start selling the 60kwh battery for a lower price. Took a test drive and the rest is history. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh I jumped in and ordered.
Should get delivery in about a month from now.
I am keeping my Model 3 reservation and now will be moved up in the Q. I will not be pushing anyway lower on the list though because I have no plans on buying the model 3 for 3 years. We leased a Lexus for my wife in May which turned into a marathon to get the deal I wanted. That's another story. But will wait for that lease to be up before taking the Model 3. I have seen others on here talk about cancelling after purchasing an S and it seems more are keeping the reservation.
I have rambled on more than I intended. This is more of a simple
Are you keeping the reservation after ordering an S or X?

I think there's a killer feature on the model 3 they haven't mentioned yet and it's not on current models. It's probably best to keep the reservation just in case you think it might be worth it in a year and a half to sell the model S. That or sell out your Lexus lease to someone else.

We reserved and ordered a Model X about a week after reserving a Model 3. Totally wasn't planning on that. But I've been wanting a Tesla for forever, and our family vehicle wasn't starting to show signs of unreliability. Starting to look around, we realized a Model X wasn't that ridiculous of a stretch on top of buying a new, premium SUV in the first place, and our finances could unexpectedly support it. So we jumped. The X is technically my wife's for carting kids around, but I sure do drive it a lot, and she lets me take it to work occasionally when she doesn't have any errands to run that day. So now I, stoked and impatient for my Model 3. And glad to have moved up the line being an owner.

Since we've taken delivery of our X, my wife has brought up the possibility of buying a used S for me if my 11-year-old commuter car dies before my 3 arrives. While the thought of having a Tesla for myself is exciting, I actually really really want a Model 3, not a Model S. I prefer the smaller car for my commuter, and for similar price range I'd have to get an older S without AWD or autopilot. So, I wait.

Stood in line to reserve Model 3 on 3/31.
Bought a Roadster one month later.
Bought a lightly used S85D 2 months after that for the price of a 60D.
Have no need for a 3rd car at the moment, but have decided to keep my reservation and see what materializes over the next year. Nice to keep options open :).

Reactions: Fiver
Same here. I've been wanting a Model S for a while, and the lower price point of the 60 in addition to the facelift made it easier for me to decide to finally go for it. I placed the order a couple weeks ago and looking forward to getting it in the next couple months.

I've been considering canceling my Model 3 reservation. They said originally that reservations from current MS owners would be processed ahead of the rest of the reservations. Does anyone know if now having a Model S associated with my account means they would consider my reservation sooner whenever they start production? or would I have to cancel and place a whole new Model 3 reservation after taking delivery of my Model S?

At this point it won't matter if you order a S or not. Too late to jump in front now. About 2 months ago post unveil it was asked if you would jump in front if you bought an S-Elon said it wouldn't matter at this point which is why a cheaper S was offered. If you want a m3 just keep your reservation. If you don't care about getting a m3 or incentives then cancel it. Honestly the car probably won't be delivered til mid 2018 in reality. I'm expecting delays. But getting a S60 is a pretty good deal and larger trunk/frunk and much shorter waiting time. The car is just too darn big to fit in our garage and my wife and I don't need to seat 7. Just an awful waste of space for us.

Why it won't matter-incentives. Elon will horde the cars and deliver as many as he can in 2 quarters; one big reason I'm expecting delays.

At this point it won't matter if you order a S or not. Too late to jump in front now. About 2 months ago post unveil it was asked if you would jump in front if you bought an S-Elon said it wouldn't matter at this point which is why a cheaper S was offered. If you want a m3 just keep your reservation. If you don't care about getting a m3 or incentives then cancel it. Honestly the car probably won't be delivered til mid 2018 in reality. I'm expecting delays. But getting a S60 is a pretty good deal and larger trunk/frunk and much shorter waiting time. The car is just too darn big to fit in our garage and my wife and I don't need to seat 7. Just an awful waste of space for us.

Why it won't matter-incentives. Elon will horde the cars and deliver as many as he can in 2 quarters; one big reason I'm expecting delays.

Thanks for the reply, I had not heard jumping ahead of the line was no longer an option. I will likely cancel the M3 and just see how things play out once they start being delivered. I don't really need another car and I'm of course expecting to still be very happy with the MS three years from now.

Well this is strange... the original blog post read

In order to be as fair as possible, there will be a different queue for each region. And as a thank you to our current owners, existing customers will get priority in each region, meaning that the fastest way to buy a Model 3 is to buy a Model S or Model X.

it now reads.

In order to be as fair as possible, there will be a different queue for each region. And as a thank you to our current owners, existing customers will get priority in each region.

Reserving your Model 3