TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

"Goldsboro Revisited or: How I learned to Mistrust the H-Bomb"

Discussion in 'Energy, Environment, and Policy' started by SwedishAdvocate, Sep 21, 2013.

1. SwedishAdvocate

SwedishAdvocate Active Member

#1 SwedishAdvocate, Sep 21, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    By now I suppose you’ve all seen the news. Don’t know how your news outlet of choice is covering this, but personally I found this coverage… well, I guess there really are no words for it…

You can also watch it on their site:

How the U.S. Narrowly Avoided a Nuclear Holocaust 33 Years Ago, and Still Risks Catastrophe Today | Democracy Now!

Here they also offer this segment, as well as everything else they do as:

Transcript, audio, mp3 Download, MPEG-4 Video Download, MPEG-4 Video Torrent (and more).

And there’s also this:

US nearly detonated atomic bomb over North Carolina - secret document | World news | The Guardian

- - - Updated - - -

A qoute:

2. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

I guess I'm not seeing the connection to this report and how the world generates electricity. Nuclear technology can be used for good or bad, but mishandled warheads doesn't necessarily imply that nuclear generation plants are unsafe.

(I'm not arguing that nuclear plants are safe, just disputing whether this news adds any information to that debate.)

3. SwedishAdvocate

#3 SwedishAdvocate, Sep 22, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2013
    I guess it’s possible that I have misunderstood the “Energy, Environment, and Policy” part. I thought it was ok to post topics on just the Environment and Policy part…

- - - Updated - - -

And the thread title is likely not the best. I just went for something that felt ‘catchy’ at the time – the first one that came to mind. Nuclear weapons and risk assessment for example, would have been more accurate…

4. brianstorms

brianstorms Member

The news about the Goldsboro accident was spooky. I grew up 100 miles from Goldsboro, and in fact was born a few weeks after the accident. If this bomb had gone off my hometown probably would have been destroyed if not by the blast, by the fallout, and I wouldn't be here typing this. Spooky.

5. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

I don't think Robert was saying your post was improper for this sub-forum. I think he's saying he (personally) doesn't understand how it informs the discussion on energy policy.

6. SwedishAdvocate

And I was trying to say that I never meant it as a contribution to the discussion on energy policy…

I just thought I could share this coverage since I personally found it to be ‘rather informative and eye opening’ (to say the least).

If I remember correctly, I think this (underlined) was my take-away (this far):

(And apologies in advance for the long quote…)

7. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

Something similar and maybe more disturbing also happened in 1958 over Florence, SC as well. Where an atomic bomb was dropped and exploded on US soil. Fortunately the nuclear material was not loaded into the bomb, but was stored on the plane that dropped the bomb. I've known about the SC one for a decade or so. I have even been to the crater site, it is only about a 1/2 mile walk from the roadside.

Scary stuff.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars_Bluff%2C_South_Carolina

8. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Scary that incompetence saved so many lives. I wonder, had it gone off, would they have blamed it on a foreign entity and gone immediately to war?

9. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

Exactly. Sorry for the confusion in roles: when I put on my tinfoil moderator's hat, I start the post with "[moderator's note:]". Otherwise, it's just me talking FWIW.