Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gonna bail - anyone else?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those who cancel because "its too much"... I applaud them for maintaining a strong sense of what is valuable to them.
For those who cancel because "the seats don't fold flat" or "it doesn't tow enough"... not so much applause.

I'd argue that those are more integrated than you think. That is, "it's too much.. for a vehicle that can't meet my needs." For some, fold flat seats are a huge deal because of their usage. And for others, towing. A strong sense of what is valuable to a horse owner is a car that can tow a horse trailer.

Thanks for everyone's input...interesting to read. I have not canceled yet and won't until if and when I find an alternative. I might go back and sit in the MS again but my wife and I both have bad knees (sports injuries, many surgeries between us) and climbing out of a low car is quite literally a pain. This is why I was thrilled that there was an SUV in the works at the time we originally scoped the MS. I still feel like it's a lot of coin to spend but likely I would end up feeling like many of you that it's totally worth it. It about killed me to build a $1.3M house but I absolutely love it and a house is not a depreciating asset (long term). The ironic thing is, my wife is a financial planner and she's all for it. :rolleyes:

I might go back and sit in the MS again but my wife and I both have bad knees (sports injuries, many surgeries between us) and climbing out of a low car is quite literally a pain.

If it's any consolation, my dad has a bad knee and my mother has spinal damage. He had a VERY hard time with my VW EOS because of bending down, but he also struggled with my 4Runner. My mother was only ok with both. She has no problem whatsoever with the S.

Not trying to sway you one way or the other. I agree that you should just try it again and see how you feel. Good luck!

The fact is this: Tesla Motors is a mere infant compared to the likes of GM, Ford etc. Having said that, (in my view) they are the most revolutionary addition to the automobile industry since Henry Ford introduced the concept of the assembly line on December 1st, 1913. 102 Years ago. Think about that for a second.

If you are discussing on this forum and in this thread then you likely have the means to purchase on of these vehicles which would allude to the fact that you likely have the intellect to understand the enormous up-hill battle that the company faces each and every day. Cancelling your MX order is perfectly fair - the wait has been long and the journey has been anything but smooth. I get that. But the reward is so much greater that we can possibly know.

At the end of the day, keep your order, cancel your order, change to a MS, it doesn't matter - Tesla makes the best vehicles in the world. Period.

For me, the argument is simple: If you have the means to consider buying a Tesla, then buy one. X or S, it doesn't matter. It is proven to be the safest car in the world. If there is a 0.001% chance that me driving a Tesla over my previous car could save my life or lessen my injuries - or those of my family and loved ones - in the event of an accident, then it is worth the money, the wait and everything else that comes with being a follower of the company and product.
A great response. Safety is a huge reason I am willing to withdrawal funds to purchase Model X. I have always wanted an electric car, and the Segway, Volt and Model S were a fantastic start to a maximum acceleration, torque filled, regenerative braking adventure that continues each day I drive electrically.

Thanks for sharing and welcome to the forum!

Well after waiting over 2 years I decided to cancel my model X reservation yesterday. Called the main office and they did ask why I'm canceling? I told them its the lack of communication and the long delays helped make my decision. I was in the 6K for design and was told April till we see one for a test drive, making my delivery in the FALL? I was thinking January or maybe April at the latest...Not FALL!

I'm also thinking it's too much money for me to spend on a car! Love the company and I will continue to be an advocate/stock holder for the company and look forward to watching Tesla grow!

On Thursday I'm picking up my 2016 Volvo XC 90 (non-electric). Seems to be a very safe car (check out crash video it's amazing what it will do) with pilot assist and it's half the price loaded! It was named Motor Trend SUV of the year for 2016 (X was not in the running so who knows?) Extremely comfortable seats, second and third row seats fold down and with gas under $2 a gallon I pulled the trigger. I can now use the other half of the money I saved to help my son's family put down a payment on a town home.

I'ts been a long ride with Tesla (still have my jacket:) and I will take another look in a few years and see if I can make it work! Really enjoyed reading the threads and I would like to thank you for you help answering question and speculating on what's to come! Like I told Tesla it was my only source for updated news regarding the Model X. Guess I now need to join the Volvo Club page!

Signing out! Have a happy holidays...Go Elon!!!

Well after waiting over 2 years I decided to cancel my model X reservation yesterday. Called the main office and they did ask why I'm canceling? I told them its the lack of communication and the long delays helped make my decision. I was in the 6K for design and was told April till we see one for a test drive, making my delivery in the FALL? I was thinking January or maybe April at the latest...Not FALL!

I'm also thinking it's too much money for me to spend on a car! Love the company and I will continue to be an advocate/stock holder for the company and look forward to watching Tesla grow!

On Thursday I'm picking up my 2016 Volvo XC 90 (non-electric). Seems to be a very safe car (check out crash video it's amazing what it will do) with pilot assist and it's half the price loaded! It was named Motor Trend SUV of the year for 2016 (X was not in the running so who knows?) Extremely comfortable seats, second and third row seats fold down and with gas under $2 a gallon I pulled the trigger. I can now use the other half of the money I saved to help my son's family put down a payment on a town home.

I'ts been a long ride with Tesla (still have my jacket:) and I will take another look in a few years and see if I can make it work! Really enjoyed reading the threads and I would like to thank you for you help answering question and speculating on what's to come! Like I told Tesla it was my only source for updated news regarding the Model X. Guess I now need to join the Volvo Club page!

Signing out! Have a happy holidays...Go Elon!!!

Sorry to see you go ..but certainly understand your position. Sounds like you made the correct decision for your situation. Good luck to you and hope you'll come back around to EVs in the near future!

Extremely comfortable seats, second and third row seats fold down and with gas under $2 a gallon I pulled the trigger.

I know not everyone is Eco conscious, but this sort of reasoning is kinda what's wrong with Am. consumers. Everything else you've listed as a reason for your cancellation totally makes sense, and seems to be the best decision for you.

Just leave the bit out about cheap gas, is all I'm saying.

I know not everyone is Eco conscious, but this sort of reasoning is kinda what's wrong with Am. consumers. Everything else you've listed as a reason for your cancellation totally makes sense, and seems to be the best decision for you.

Just leave the bit out about cheap gas, is all I'm saying.
I paid $1.81/gallon for gas this weekend - $20 to fill the tank - on the drive home from the Tesla store in NJ. Can't wait until my X arrives so I never have to sit in a stinky gas station again. Also can't wait to tell stories about them to my grand kids, since they won't have any idea what they are. :)

I should probably take a few more pictures...

181-gas.jpg

I have had both my knees replaced and keep my Model S in the low setting and do not have a problem getting in and out.
I bet...after replacement, most people experience much less pain as you no longer have things like bone on bone contact because the cartilage is gone. We are both due for a knee replacement but are still "too young" yet.

Avoidance of gas prices was never a driving factor for me to get a Tesla. There's still the cost of the electricity to charge (if don't at home...a fraction of gasoline, I know) and the cost of installing a charger which for some can be a good chunk of change depending on the home.

- - - Updated - - -

But for me it is more about what you are spewing into the atmosphere.
Especially if you drive a VW :biggrin: Too soon?

I guess one could argue that many of the power plants used to produce the electricity to charge the car are coal based and aren't too eco friendly themselves.

I guess one could argue that many of the power plants used to produce the electricity to charge the car are coal based and aren't too eco friendly themselves.

I just want to say that it also takes burning gasoline for the tankers to get it from the refinery to the gas station, from the tankers to the refinery, and from the oil rigs onto the tankers.

Here's Why Electric Cars Are Always Greener Than Gas

Here is a calculator from the US DoE that you punch in your car and zip code and it will give you what your local emmissions are:
Beyond Tailpipe Emissions: Results

Cincinnati's 45202 zip code for a 2015 Tesla S 85D total emissions (*Total emissions rate includes tailpipe emissions and the emissions associated with the production and distribution of fuel.) is 260 grams per mile vs. 480 grams per mile for the average new car.

I'm in the middle of coal heaven between KY & WV...lol

And you can still purchase RE energy!

Green Power Network: Can I Buy Green Power in My State?

- - - Updated - - -

I paid $1.81/gallon for gas this weekend - $20 to fill the tank - on the drive home from the Tesla store in NJ. Can't wait until my X arrives so I never have to sit in a stinky gas station again.

No doubt, I despise going to the gas station. Not only am I always forced to wait for a pump, it's seriously cold standing out there in the middle of winter.