Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gonna bail - anyone else?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Canadian customers are going to have a tough time with the poor exchange rate.

In Oct 2013 when I reserved the MX at $130k USD it would have cost $136k CND.
Now it's $171k CND

If the trend continues it's getting harder if not impossible for many to eat that difference.
@ Zapped do you know if any Canadian Reservation holders invited to configure yet. With the falling loonies my upgrades list if falling down as well.:mad:

Definitely not going to bail. 100 grand is way too much to drop on a vehicle but this isn't any vehicle, it's the future; am willing to spend a premium for that. I would not pay 50 grand for an ICE vehicle.
Why don't people factor in the savings? Like the Rebates from the government, the fuel cost savings, insurance savings, maintenance etc. I really don't get it. Once you buy a car, those exist, but you save much of those buying a Tesla. I always explain it like this when someone tells me it's expensive. Total cost of ownership. What's the point of a "cheap car" if you're spending the same amount over time. It's the same thing. Especially that I'm financing mine, their next argument of I don't have 100K it shot down. I don't either.

- - - Updated - - -

The Canadian customers are going to have a tough time with the poor exchange rate.

In Oct 2013 when I reserved the MX at $130k USD it would have cost $136k CND.
Now it's $171k CND

If the trend continues it's getting harder if not impossible for many to eat that difference.
I don't think many will have a problem with that. If you're buying a new model car, and you knew the price wasn't already disclosed, and you knew it was going to be expensive, not many people that couldn't afford to do so will do that.

I am attempting to bail out of one location for delivery.

A post is showing that one Model X is sitting at a Service Center for two weeks, and not being delivered. if that is happening, I want a local SC that are handling the X's in quantity.

UPDATE: DS will call with status on 12/30. Says, "in great hands" at newer SC. My reply, switch it if car not there or if no EOY delivery.

Last edited:
I bailed on the SigX because of the lack of non folding seats. I would have delayed/deferred but you can not do that with a Sig reservation.
I have had, and will keep, my PX reservation. I have delayed configuring with the hope that the seat option becomes available. In no hurry. The longer it is delayed the better chance I have of seeing any improvements or upgrades...my potential consolation prize.

I am attempting to bail out of one location for delivery.

A post is showing that one Model X is sitting at a Service Center for two weeks, and not being delivered. if that is happening, I want a local SC that are handling the X's in quantity.

Was at the San Diego service center today. They have 10 Signature Model X's in their parking lot. Looks like they are getting prepped for delivery : >)

Insurance savings? From what I've seen, Tesla's are actually quite expensive to insure.

If your present insurer wants to gouge you, and you let them, it's your fault. Every insurance company tries to jack up rates if they think they can get away with it.

SHOP AROUND. There is nothing magical in a name. My insurer is one I never heard of, yet they pay of better than others I have had, and charge less. Often, even hinting you will go looking, your insurer will drop prices.

The biggest insurance cost is insuring lives. Tesla is the safest car in the world. My rates are just a little bit more than what they were when I drove a 2009 Prius.

I've spent a lot of time thinking about our usage and needs for the MX, especially lately as deliveries begin. After the September "delivery" event, I was pretty strongly leaning towards the "bail" side of this argument. Time has allowed me to think it through more thoroughly and come to terms with a few things.

I think I can get over the lack of folding seats. We'd be replacing a rarely-used van, and I don't remove that second row very often. The main use for the van is when our in-laws are in town and we need to seat 6, or more rarely, 7. We also use it when we want to take the kids' bikes to the park (as well as the kids). To be clear, I'd prefer folding or removable seats, but given that they don't currently exist, I'm open to compromising.

I also think I can get past the doors. Enough has been said, and everyone's got their own opinion. They're not my favorite part of the vehicle, I believe they'll be more of a drawback than an asset for me personally, but I think I can tolerate them.

The reason I'm now more willing to compromise? The truth is, I can't drive an ICE anymore, even for rare events like those I listed. So while I'm disappointed with certain aspects of the MX, the drivetrain and driving experience are able to compensate more than enough.

I haven't made my mind up completely. I'm still waiting on some measurements in the wiki, as well as a good conversation with my wife about it. But yeah.. the van sucks.

I've spent a lot of time thinking about our usage and needs for the MX, especially lately as deliveries begin. After the September "delivery" event, I was pretty strongly leaning towards the "bail" side of this argument. Time has allowed me to think it through more thoroughly and come to terms with a few things.

I think I can get over the lack of folding seats. We'd be replacing a rarely-used van, and I don't remove that second row very often. The main use for the van is when our in-laws are in town and we need to seat 6, or more rarely, 7. We also use it when we want to take the kids' bikes to the park (as well as the kids). To be clear, I'd prefer folding or removable seats, but given that they don't currently exist, I'm open to compromising.

I also think I can get past the doors. Enough has been said, and everyone's got their own opinion. They're not my favorite part of the vehicle, I believe they'll be more of a drawback than an asset for me personally, but I think I can tolerate them.

The reason I'm now more willing to compromise? The truth is, I can't drive an ICE anymore, even for rare events like those I listed. So while I'm disappointed with certain aspects of the MX, the drivetrain and driving experience are able to compensate more than enough.

I haven't made my mind up completely. I'm still waiting on some measurements in the wiki, as well as a good conversation with my wife about it. But yeah.. the van sucks.
Before you bail, I suggest you at least test drive one. The first owners receiving MXs are reporting that the vehicle EXCEEDS thier expectations. You may be very surprised by how nice the Model X is.

I did my bake off yesterday between the S and X. Even with the X's many shortcomings, its a better car for me than the S in terms of visibility (6 seats to increase vision out the back), ingress/egress and seating comfort. It will probably have to do until Gen 2.0 comes out in three years.

Oh and the windshield seals it.:smile:

I did my bake off yesterday between the S and X. Even with the X's many shortcomings, its a better car for me than the S in terms of visibility (6 seats to increase vision out the back), ingress/egress and seating comfort. It will probably have to do until Gen 2.0 comes out in three years.

Oh and the windshield seals it.:smile:

And I thought it was the ability to close doors from inside :). (Thanks for the goody bag!)

The Outlander PHEV 2016 should get about 20-25 miles of EV range... And it's just five months away (May 2016) for buyers in NA.

Closest dealership to me said that they wouldn't receive the PHEV Outlander until Q4 2016, at the earliest. I have seen the May 2016 published various places online...but not confirmed anywhere.

Perhaps only select markets will get the Outlander PHEV this coming summer...or Mitsu has delayed again.

We have our answer (and it's no surprise to me):

2017 Mitsubishi Outlander Plug-In Hybrid: On Sale Late Summer, Now

Of course, the Outlander PHEV will probably be delayed again and not arrive in showrooms until early 2017, so take this article with yet another grain of salt! lol...

Before you bail, I suggest you at least test drive one. The first owners receiving MXs are reporting that the vehicle EXCEEDS thier expectations. You may be very surprised by how nice the Model X is.
I agree, it would be nice to test drive the "Car 15, Where Are You?" MX Sig when it arrives. But I have a question for Bonnie over a concern on another thread.

Bonnie: Does your Model X have the AM radio band? Is there an AM band mentioned in the Owner's Manual?

Since the MaxK video does not show the AM band on the screen and his Tesla training session ignores any mention of it, we need to make sure: Tesla Model X settings demo part 3 - YouTube

The problem is that iHeartRadio has some AM stations that do not exist in TuneinRadio. The only solution for "Live" "clear channel" KFI would be to use the iPhone or have a portable AM radio in the car.

Last edited: