Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Goo seeping down center console

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an early 2016 Model X (manufactured March 2016). Today I noticed a stream of material seeping down the passenger side of the center console. At first I thought it a spilled soft drink. I attempted to wipe it up with a damp Kleenex. But the Kleenex just stuck to it (the white stuff in the photo). This very sticky substance was not water soluble. Paint thinner was required to remove it. My first thought was an AC leak, but the AC runs cold. Has anyone seen something like this before? Any ideas about what is leaking from my upper center console?

Attachments

• Tesla goo - 1.jpeg
    Tesla goo - 1.jpeg
    253.3 KB · Views: 204
I have an early 2016 Model X (manufactured March 2016). Today I noticed a stream of material seeping down the passenger side of the center console. At first I thought it a spilled soft drink. I attempted to wipe it up with a damp Kleenex. But the Kleenex just stuck to it (the white stuff in the photo). This very sticky substance was not water soluble. Paint thinner was required to remove it. My first thought was an AC leak, but the AC runs cold. Has anyone seen something like this before? Any ideas about what is leaking from my upper center console?
Are you also getting bubbles in your center screen?

Mongo, Thanks for your insights. I was afraid of that when you mentioned the "bubbles." This has got to be an expensive repair. I think I will just ignore it for the time being. Any thoughts on what to look for when I shouldn't ignore it anymore? All the best, Carl

Mongo, Thanks for your insights. I was afraid of that when you mentioned the "bubbles." This has got to be an expensive repair. I think I will just ignore it for the time being. Any thoughts on what to look for when I shouldn't ignore it anymore? All the best, Carl
I suspect this means you are still running MCU1, I believe the MCU2 upgrade (which should replace the screen unless they give you a discount to not) is $1500 and well worth it depending on who you ask. I think you have to pay another $500 on top of that if you want to keep FM/Sirius with MCU2, but depending on your definition of expensive, this may still be a worthwhile endeavor. Just make sure service center understands you need a new screen with the upgrade to resolve that issue at the same time (instead of as a standalone repair).

I have a 16 and replaced the
I suspect this means you are still running MCU1, I believe the MCU2 upgrade (which should replace the screen unless they give you a discount to not) is $1500 and well worth it depending on who you ask. I think you have to pay another $500 on top of that if you want to keep FM/Sirius with MCU2, but depending on your definition of expensive, this may still be a worthwhile endeavor. Just make sure service center understands you need a new screen with the upgrade to resolve that issue at the same time (instead of as a standalone repair).
Agree with mxnym. I replaced my infotainment a few months ago for $1500 because of the bubbles (no leak) and also wanting to prevent it from spontaneously bricking. Main drawback is waiting 3 months for the parts. They did offer to just repair just the screen for around 380-500, but also required waiting for parts. The good news is it’s an easy fix for them.

Note that the MCU2 upgrade actually replaces both screens. It is about the best deal on the market. And it makes it feel like you have a brand new vehicle. Go ahead and do it, it's well worth it.
You’re correct from what I experienced. It has worked great overall since the change. Definitely faster loading all around. I will admit that since I got the upgrade, on two occasions I got the black screens and it required a reboot. Didn’t take it in, but just keeping an eye on it.

Reactions: henderrj