Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Good Article on Tesla Charging and Degradation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Found a nice thorough article written about charging and battery degradation in Teslas. Technical enough without going so overboard that you need an engineering degree to understand it. This is probably a good article for new Tesla owners that are panicking over the "D" word.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, the article does include LFP batteries but realistically, how many Tesla's have LFPs at this point? <1% for sure. Unless you have a M3SR+ that has the Chinese LFP batteries, which are few and far between especially in the USA, this article is spot on.

Unfortunately, the article does include LFP batteries but realistically, how many Tesla's have LFPs at this point? <1% for sure. Unless you have a M3SR+ that has the Chinese LFP batteries, which are few and far between especially in the USA, this article is spot on.

I saw several articles on 10/21 that mentioned Tesla going to LFP Globally so...it's coming.

I really wish this wasn't so confusing to the average end user. I have a 2021 M3LR and I live in Florida. I'm afraid to supercharge every time(and I can't charge at home) because I don't want to degrade my battery noticeably. I wish there was a way to actually know what the loss would be if I supercharged every time I needed to charge with average use.

If it dropped me 2-3% of my max range each year - then it would be worth it. 10% of my range each year, probably not worth it.

I really wish this wasn't so confusing to the average end user. I have a 2021 M3LR and I live in Florida. I'm afraid to supercharge every time(and I can't charge at home) because I don't want to degrade my battery noticeably. I wish there was a way to actually know what the loss would be if I supercharged every time I needed to charge with average use.

If it dropped me 2-3% of my max range each year - then it would be worth it. 10% of my range each year, probably not worth it.
As long as you keep the supercharging between 10% and 90%, you should have no issues with degradation. Maybe a touch more than someone who charges at home, but I wouldn't worry about it.

Reactions: Brando
As long as you keep the supercharging between 10% and 90%, you should have no issues with degradation. Maybe a touch more than someone who charges at home, but I wouldn't worry about it.
I don’t think that's entirely correct, it’s not just charge level, it’s actually heat that’s damaging, A Tesla apparently pre-conditions it’s battery for Supercharging, meaning it heats the pack uo pretty hot, reason is power will flow either into or out of a battery faster at hot temps,that’s why a Plaid also preconditions its battery for a ludicrous mode.
Heat is an enemy of long battery life, if you plan on keeping your car for a decade or more and hundreds of thousands of miles then maybe forego the Supercharger.

Only real data that I’m aware of, of continual Supercharging is Tesloop, and I beleive they had several packs that didn’t even make it through warranty.