TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Good backup car to Model 3?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by MXWing, Jul 30, 2018.

1. MXWing

MXWing Active Member

Not sure if threads already exist on this but does anyone have ideas on a cheap used purchase that would go well with a Model 3?

Seems like an odd question as one would want to drive the Model 3 as much as possible but there are definitely times having an extra car can come in handy to offset insurance costs, park for a week at the airport etc.

EV would be preferred but has to make sense.

Ideal requirements would be
    Cheap to maintain
    Cheap to insure
    Cheap to acquire

If I were to take a guess I might say Gen 1 Volt or Leaf.

Thanks in advance for the help.

2. NathanielHrnblwr

Camry.

• Like x 1
  3. outie

outie Active Member

How cheap is cheap? Used BMW i3? Prius’s?

• Like x 1
  4. MXWing

MXWing Active Member

Good question.. hope 5000-6000 is not unrealistic.

Would have it’s uses. Dreaming of a car that is cheap, boring and can work for the few times I’d not drive the 3. :)

5. outie

outie Active Member

Why do you want an EV for that purpose? You are better off with an ICE so you don’t have to maintain the battery level (at home or parked at airport for a week). You can just plug in a battery tender for the ICE at home and not worry about the vampire drain at airport.

• Like x 1
  6. ℬête Noire

ℬête Noire Active Member

#6 ℬête Noire, Jul 30, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
    I don't quite get the question, or maybe better put a reject the premise. I'm of the view that the Model 3 is a mullet car. Business up front, party in the back. Either a car is real, viable vehicle that can operate without a "backup" or it's a curio toy. I'm not buying the Model 3 to be a curio, this better damn well work as a full time car. If it can't park at the airport for a week? Well damn it, I'm going to figure out how to make it park there. If can't pull it's weight it's gonna get kicked to the curb. :p

That is all said tempered with that we will remain, as we always have been, a 2 vehicle household. Ever since I met the wife she's had her vehicle (then a 4x4 work vehicle) and I've had mine, each suited to what we were doing at the time. The line of whose is whose has blurred a bit at times, and they are often complementary to some extent (when she had the G35x I had the a [work] Jeep Liberty), but there's never been a "backup" per se....and now the complementary alternative is going to be an EV also, so if that part is going to be the issue...well then I guess I'm entirely wrong in my assumption that the future is now. :oops:

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Love x 1
  7. MXWing

MXWing Active Member

Sometimes the Model 3 is the cheapest car in a parking lot.

Sometimes the Model 3 is the most expensive car in the parking lot by a factor of 10 and you want to show discretion.

I could have phrased the original post better. But there are use cases for extra cars even if the Model 3 really does everything in theory. :)

8. ℬête Noire

ℬête Noire Active Member

#8 ℬête Noire, Jul 30, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
    Maybe that's where the two vehicle household just takes care of that? Having something that's different serving a different purpose anyway. If I need to pick up some 10' PVC pipe, or have some other somewhat unwieldy bulk to haul, I'll take the Bolt. I guess the answer then becomes what is your other purpose that you're looking to fill?

The way you describe it here reminds me of the head partner (and founder) of an engineering company I worked for decades ago. He and a jr manager we going to a sales meeting at a client's. They purposefully took the jr's personal car (I can't even remember what it was) because the owner didn't think the optics of rolling up in his 7 series (no wait, that was an 8 series now that I think about it) would sit well with that client. ;) Is that what you're thinking of?

I just personally don't have any time where I'm particularly conscious about perceived vehicle cost, even if I easily have the most expensive vehicle in a 2 block radius. It's never bothered me before, never occurred to me as a concern. So maybe that's why I didn't grok the question?

9. outie

outie Active Member

MXWing already mentioned one purpose is to offset insurance cost. When you have an old car in the household, you can be rated for that car as your primary car. Your Model 3 can become a secondary car with reduced insurance cost.

Maybe where you live people are more simple. Here in SoCal there are haters who like to mess with other people's nicer cars. If one left the car in a shady parking lot / place one would find some nice surprise upon returning. Back in college days my Mercedes was parked on the street outside of my studio. I think it was the last day of school and people were partying all night. The next day the protruding star emblem was force-broken off.

Anyways if I was to get a backup car I'd just get an used minivan. It'll be useful at times.

• Like x 1
  10. fr100

fr100 Member

It's good to have a backup car for when you need to drive to the ghetto.

11. ℬête Noire

ℬête Noire Active Member

Pffft. Just tell the family to BTFO and leave your ride alone or you'll stop showing up for BBQs and Grandma won't get to see the grandkids anymore. :p

Ships aren't built to sit in the harbour.

• Like x 2
  12. xpitxbullx

xpitxbullx Member

#12 xpitxbullx, Jul 31, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
    3A69A0BE-47CC-422B-945A-55F8EAEF2845.jpeg You can get a used Fiat 500e. My friend just picked up a 2015 for $7000. No one wants an 80 mile range EV anymore. They can’t give them away fast enough.

Small, affordable, and no one will mess with it because they’ll feel sorry for whoever owned it.

• Like x 2
    • Disagree x 1
    • Love x 1
  13. GSP

GSP Member

Does it matter if the 3 is the most expensive vehicle in the lot?

I have parked my 3 at the airport for a week three times already. No problem. It does lose 4.5 mi/day to vampire drain, but still has 10X what I need to drive home and plug in.

I put a tarp in the trunk (to protect my rubber trunk liner!) when I haul stuff.

It is a car. It was built to be driven and put to use.

GSP

14. Blu Angel

Blu Angel Member

Now, that's a deal!
    My second choice would be a Nissan Leaf or Chevy Volt.

P.S. After 2 weeks of daily driving my Tesla 3, I drive my wife's Volvo C30.
    Wow.....what a disappointment! ICE cars really stink!

MORAL: once you go to BEV, there no going back to ICE.

• Like x 2
    • Disagree x 1
  15. AnarchyEOD

AnarchyEOD Member

I’m keeping my ‘02 Subaru WRX Wagon as my backup. Great car and she runs like a champ

16. masam

masam Member

Have you considered a used VW eGolf ? Yes, it's basically a compliance car, but might serve the purpose if you don't need to drive over 80 miles. Not sure if those can be had for under 10k, but it doesn't stand out and is pretty much always the average car around. Looks no different than a regular Golf (except for different running lights) and won't break the bank with insurance etc.

17. nalang

nalang Member

We have 3 cars in our household but only two drivers, until our toddler is old enough to drive, and having a “backup” has come in handy plenty of times.

I’m selling my 2014 Kia Sorento when my P3D+ is delivered. On several occasions my wife has forgotten to charge her X overnight and she needs it fully charged for her daily commute. One time her right falcon wing door would not close and we needed to tow it to a service center. When these situations have happened she either takes the Kia or my 2010 Toyota 4Runner.

My 4Runner is quite the opposite of her X and my soon to be 3. It’s 4x4 and built to go anywhere (lifted, aftermarket front winch bumper, 34” tires, etc) that our dual motor Tesla’s cannot. It has a lot of cargo room and is extremely versatile. It’s reliable and I have had zero issues since purchasing. It’s the vehicle we take and leave at the airport overnight, take on snowboard trips, haul/tow stuff, etc.

We’ve always intended to have 3 cars (one ICE) because it provides us the most flexibility depending on the situation. Having a “backup” has been of great value for our household. If you think having a backup would add value, I recommend a reliable ICE that can do what you need your backup to do.

18. commasign

commasign Tesla Superfan

Our backup ICE is a long paid off 2011 Honda Odyssey. It fills the void in our EV lineup in being able to fit 8 passengers (family of 5 plus grandparents, nanny, etc), or haul furniture or other large items. I think the best backup ICE car is the one you already have. If you’ve dumped all your ICE cars, then congratulations! You’ve already crossed the finish line. No need to look back. ;)

Note: We will dump our Odyssey the moment a fully electric, 8 seater (with 2nd and 3rd row removable or stowable) minivan becomes available.

19. Cirrus MS100D

Cirrus MS100D Member

This!!!

I’ve been loving my $8500 500e I snagged with barely 8000 miles on the odometer. (Took about 4 months of searching, but the 2015s are available in heaps right now)

I can take my 2 small kids to school, I can run out and grab groceries or lunch or coffee. We can drive as a family to the movie theater. We can go to the township pool. We can drive to the grandparents house. It’s stupid fun to thrash around. I won’t really care if somebody dinga it. You can practically park it in the bed of a Ford F-150.

$250 and you can buy the JDapter and charge it from dead to full in about 3.5 hours off your Tesla HPWC.

Would love to take its puny 24kwh battery and turn it into a low-buck generic PowerWall when the car reaches its end of life.

• Like x 2
  20. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

If you are going to have an old car, get an old pickup. It will be the most useful thing to have.

• Like x 2