Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Good body shop for dent & scratches in GTA? (damage pics)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I f'd up in this stupid narrow parking garage in Toronto and scraped the side of my model 3 against a pillar. Are there any good body shops in the GTA that can fix this without breaking the bank? Not sure if it's possible for me to do myself. Pics attached.

20190415_135349.jpg

20190415_135352.jpg

I emailed the pics to a few body shops and they all want me to take it in for an estimate. Will probably do that next week. If it's too expensive, I might just see what I can do to make it look better myself. I get the feeling they will want thousands of dollars.

I emailed the pics to a few body shops and they all want me to take it in for an estimate. Will probably do that next week. If it's too expensive, I might just see what I can do to make it look better myself. I get the feeling they will want thousands of dollars.
Yes, your feeling is very likely right.....I had some paint defects on my model 3 and had it over to Budd's in oakville for quoting. Just repainting the rear bumper was around $1200. Looks like you have Pearl White, which also then means they will have to paint/blend the panels together so you'll probably be $2k+ just for the paint work after the body work....so my first guess is you are looking at something like $3k for this (that's just a guess....I could be way off and hope I am for your sake, but from my experience its probably going to be that or more).

Yes, your feeling is very likely right.....I had some paint defects on my model 3 and had it over to Budd's in oakville for quoting. Just repainting the rear bumper was around $1200. Looks like you have Pearl White, which also then means they will have to paint/blend the panels together so you'll probably be $2k+ just for the paint work after the body work....so my first guess is you are looking at something like $3k for this (that's just a guess....I could be way off and hope I am for your sake, but from my experience its probably going to be that or more).
I have the discontinued metallic silver. Looks very similar to the white when up close.

And wow they are really price gouging Tesla owners. I am prepared to break out my Tesla paint repair kit if the quote is too high.

Can always fill it, sand, and wrap since you're keeping it for a while :)
That's not a bad thought actually....a full wrap would be what, 4-5k (maybe less, but I'm guessing about that since a good PPF is around 3k for 1/2 the car)?

I have the discontinued metallic silver. Looks very similar to the white when up close.

And wow they are really price gouging Tesla owners. I am prepared to break out my Tesla paint repair kit if the quote is too high.

To be honest, the pricing may not be as crazy because Tesla was paying for the repair of the paint defect...maybe it would be a 'different' rate if it was a private citizen paying? Maybe because the grey isn't a multi coat paint it wont be as crazy, there is a fair bit of labor in getting muti coat to match from all viewing angles, and perhaps they wont need to blend to adjacent panels which would reduce time to complete significantly.

Nice colour choice BTW. I love the white, but the grey looks stunning in person as well. None of the pics on the Tesla website do the paint colours justice IMO. I thought the grey was my least favorite colour on the website photos, but seeing one in person its for sure my #2.

I had great work done by Excellence Auto on Midwest. Tesla approved (lots of them there).

Body Shop Support

I'm not so sure Excellence would be affordable for out of pocket. Had a recent no-fault accident, rear quarter panel and bumper, almost $9k with tax to fix (for insurance) seems pretty steep but they are paying so what do I care. While I was there I asked about some similar scrape on my right side, not even as bad just a small dent quarter panel no door damage, they wanted $4k alone, $3.6k if I did it same time as the insurance repairs! Ouch. I suspect Excellence would be $5k+ for this damage from OP

• Informative
Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck
I'm not so sure Excellence would be affordable for out of pocket. Had a recent no-fault accident, rear quarter panel and bumper, almost $9k with tax to fix (for insurance) seems pretty steep but they are paying so what do I care. While I was there I asked about some similar scrape on my right side, not even as bad just a small dent quarter panel no door damage, they wanted $4k alone, $3.6k if I did it same time as the insurance repairs! Ouch. I suspect Excellence would be $5k+ for this damage from OP

I was gently rear ended 9 days after I got the car. Left a recessed imprint of her licence plate, knocked out a rear parking sensor and took few chunks out of the rear bumper cover. Ran it through insurance. Excellence removed the bumper cover, repaired it, replaced a parking sensor and bracket, repainted it and reinstalled it. Total bill was $1200.

If it had required a new bumper cover the part from Tesla is about $400 plus more prep on the bare part the Excellence estimate was about $2000.

The plastic repair/replace are easy. Sheet metal work is going to cost more. Every repair is different. In my mind still worth getting a quote from Excellence though plus others especially when your paying out of pocket.

Hard to see the plate imprint but I could actually read it!

041149DE-0CA3-40D7-B471-B29BC7C0C6B2.jpeg

After the repair, new sensor and bumper cover repaint:

5ED5BAE1-60E1-483C-9ED2-F7993FDB3536.jpeg

Last edited:
I was gently rear ended 9 days after I got the car. Left a recessed imprint of her licence plate, knocked out a rear parking sensor and took few chunks out of the rear bumper cover. Ran it through insurance. Excellence removed the bumper cover, repaired it, replaced a parking sensor and bracket, repainted it and reinstalled it. Total bill was $1200.

If it had required a new bumper cover the part from Tesla is about $400 plus more prep on the bare part the Excellence estimate was about $2000.

The plastic repair/replace are easy. Sheet metal work is going to cost more. Every repair is different.

Wow that’s a big diff in price vs mine. Not sure how it works I couldn’t imagine just a quarter panel adding so much, maybe blending to doors is more and someone mentioned quarter panel may be glued on or something I am stumped why it’s such a difference in price

Here’s pic for reference
E503A6E0-173E-46EF-B6FA-3871DD8E9A05.jpeg

I mean pretty much bumper cover and quarter panel. $9k including tax. Quarter panel is another $6k vs yours? Wtf

Last edited:
Food for thought :

Got some scratches on the back bumper in Montreal. I went to the Tesla approved body shop who quoted me 230$ 1 hour and a half labor to buff the bumper.
So I went to my local one, as a commercial gesture, he did the buffing job in 5 minutes on the spot, didn't charge me, and sent me on my way....the job was perfectly done. Sometimes it is just better to avoid the recommanded outfit.

Wow that’s a big diff in price vs mine. Not sure how it works I couldn’t imagine just a quarter panel adding so much, maybe blending to doors is more and someone mentioned quarter panel may be glued on or something I am stumped why it’s such a difference in price

Here’s pic for reference
View attachment 398578

I mean pretty much bumper cover and quarter panel. $9k including tax. Quarter panel is another $6k vs yours? Wtf

Wow. Don’t know how your estimate reads but they must be replacing the rear portion of the left quarter panel. I can’t see them replacing the entire panel as it’s one piece including the entire left side of the car shown in blue mild steel below.

Just went and dug out my original estimate which replaces instead of repairs the rear bumper cover plus one sensor and sensor mount, prep, paint etc. There was no damage other than the plastic bumper cover. It was for $2017.84. This is from last June.

I just had a thought. The rear quarter panel ‘outer skin’ is mild steel however the structure under the rear quarter including the rear wheel arch is aluminum. That could be the issue. These pictures clearly show the blue outer skin is right on top of the aluminum inner structure. Therefore ANY damage at all to the outer ‘mild steel’ sheet metal on the outer wheel well area will also have have damaged the underlying aluminum structure. This could be why the estimate is what it is:

4ABCB14C-006E-43C7-A992-BE11C5C9E0AA.png

C16BF20C-8E4A-4408-B12E-F87F39154D71.png

7A3A5048-6B28-4F0B-9331-7FC0E7B4B34D.png

Last edited:
Wow. Don’t know how your estimate reads but they must be replacing the rear portion of the left quarter panel. I can’t see them replacing the entire panel as it’s one piece including the entire left side of the car shown in blue mild steel below.

Just went and dug out my original estimate which replaces instead of repairs the rear bumper cover plus one sensor and sensor mount, prep, paint etc. There was no damage other than the plastic bumper cover. It was for $2017.84. This is from last June.

I just had a thought. The rear quarter panel ‘outer skin’ is mild steel however the structure under the rear quarter including the rear wheel arch is aluminum. That could be the issue. These pictures clearly show the blue outer skin is right on top of the aluminum inner structure. Therefore ANY damage at all to the outer ‘mild steel’ sheet metal on the outer wheel well area will also have have damaged the underlying aluminum structure.

Yes I think you’re right! Great pics! I looked over the estimate almost $4k is aluminum labor!

Reactions: bijan and 03DSG