Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Good buy?

Green or brown?

• Green

Votes: 7 87.5%
  • Brown

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone. Buying my first Tesla. I’d had one on reserve on Carvana but after waiting a few weeks with it still saying “coming soon!@ I started browsing elsewhere. I found a green 2014 model S with an 85kw battery and 720000 miles. Got them down to $27k and change. With delivery and all taxes and fees it’ll be 30k all in. Not as many options so I’m wondering what options you think are really worth the money? No autopilot, blind spot, active air suspension, or panoramic roof. But the cardiac is clean, lifetime connectivity, and “should” have lifetime supercharging for that year. the one on Carvana is a brown 2013 with 87k miles. It does have panoramic roof, active air suspension. It’s a little more than 28k. All in it’ll be a hair under 31k.
The green seems like a better deal by the numbers but it’s coming without the Carvana guarantee and there’s no chance to test drive it like with Carvana. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

If I were you and could raise your budget, I'd recommend looking for something newer. I love my 2016 S 75D, however I specifically got it because of the extended warranty (4 years/50k miles) from Tesla last year. Now they only give a 1 year/10K miles warranty, so its a bit more risky now.

The options worth getting are Air suspension, Autopilot, Cold weather package (I see you're in Boston) and the sunroof.

Reactions: Electricmike
If I were you and could raise your budget, I'd recommend looking for something newer. I love my 2016 S 75D, however I specifically got it because of the extended warranty (4 years/50k miles) from Tesla last year. Now they only give a 1 year/10K miles warranty, so its a bit more risky now.

The options worth getting are Air suspension, Autopilot, Cold weather package (I see you're in Boston) and the sunroof.
Thanks. The 2016s are just a little too pricey right now. And without the extended warranty I’m not sure it’s as worth the stretch.
I’m planning on doing some Turo rentals too so maybe the glass roof and air suspension would be more appealing?

Not sure what ur budget is or desires with technology (battery..mcu etc ) but personally around that price point I would increase or find a used model 3 ... you would be missing a lot of things with the older S that are worth reconsidering with a newer car ...just my opinion good luck ! ;)

Honestly as someone that’s been here since 2013. I’d try for a late 2014 build. The earlier ones were very very unreliable as far as repairs. IMO shoot for a vin above 57,000. Iirc the green was ousted in early 2014 so guessing your looking at January or February build? Tesla is a little different than most cars you want to look at month and year build. (I have a 12/14 P85D that’s been flawless as far as repairs go)

mid it’s budget your concerned with I’m sure you can find a newer build for close
To the same amount.

Thanks. The 2016s are just a little too pricey right now. And without the extended warranty I’m not sure it’s as worth the stretch.
I’m planning on doing some Turo rentals too so maybe the glass roof and air suspension would be more appealing?
I was going to second buying a newer model. Your choice of course but just remember these vehicles are definitely ones you DONT want to own out of warranty.

Also I used to rent out my BMW M5 on turo and had nothing but unpleasant experiences. Too much wear and tear for very little money.

Go for the brown one. That was a very rare color. Extended warranties are great when you need them, if they are included in the price. 87K miles is nothing on a Tesla as long it was not driven hard and abused. I would never consider a Tesla as a Turo candidate. Turo rentals can ruin a car quickly. Damage from bad drivers will be very costly, more so than other ICE cars. Good Luck!

I wouldn't put a lot of stock into the air suspension. In that year it's really just a way to raise or lower it by an inch or so. It doesn't affect ride quality like the air suspension in the newer years. I'd almost go so far as to say it's a liability since it's something that can break.

The pano is also a liability, one I'm actively dealing with right now. But when it's working it is nice. It's very large compared to other sunroofs.

The features that matter to me, the biggest battery possible, dual motor, gen 3 or later seats,

Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately a model three is not an option because of my work. I do shows about bubbles for kids and I need enough room for a waiting pool in the back. The model 3 didn’t fit but the model s does! I have a weird life.

Reactions: P85_DA
Honestly as someone that’s been here since 2013. I’d try for a late 2014 build. The earlier ones were very very unreliable as far as repairs. IMO shoot for a vin above 57,000. Iirc the green was ousted in early 2014 so guessing your looking at January or February build? Tesla is a little different than most cars you want to look at month and year build. (I have a 12/14 P85D that’s been flawless as far as repairs go)

mid it’s budget your concerned with I’m sure you can find a newer build for close
To the same amount.
It’s a July 2014 build according to the Carfax.

I was going to second buying a newer model. Your choice of course but just remember these vehicles are definitely ones you DONT want to own out of warranty.

Also I used to rent out my BMW M5 on turo and had nothing but unpleasant experiences. Too much wear and tear for very little money.
Thank you! I’m hoping not to do heavy usage, but while work is slow with the pandemic I’m hoping I can offset the

Go for the brown one. That was a very rare color. Extended warranties are great when you need them, if they are included in the price. 87K miles is nothing on a Tesla as long it was not driven hard and abused. I would never consider a Tesla as a Turo candidate. Turo rentals can ruin a car quickly. Damage from bad drivers will be very costly, more so than other ICE cars. Good Luck!
Thanks. I really like the look of the brown one a lot. I was a little scared off because of a Jalopnik article saying the brown ones held their value the worst but at this point maybe that’s not much of an issue

I wouldn't put a lot of stock into the air suspension. In that year it's really just a way to raise or lower it by an inch or so. It doesn't affect ride quality like the air suspension in the newer years. I'd almost go so far as to say it's a liability since it's something that can break.

The pano is also a liability, one I'm actively dealing with right now. But when it's working it is nice. It's very large compared to other sunroofs.

The features that matter to me, the biggest battery possible, dual motor, gen 3 or later seats,
I have read about some glass crack issues. Something to think

OK... don't want to be the drip and rain on the parade... but I wouldn't buy an S of that vintage unless you have a direct connection to Trump's bankers -- and in addition -- the patience of a convention of monks. For the numerous SC visits.

If you're going to insist -- I had checked into some of the 3rd party extended warranty vendors when my S (yes - a 2013) was starting to blow up. You may want to do the same.

OK... don't want to be the drip and rain on the parade... but I wouldn't buy an S of that vintage unless you have a direct connection to Trump's bankers -- and in addition -- the patience of a convention of monks. For the numerous SC visits.

If you're going to insist -- I had checked into some of the 3rd party extended warranty vendors when my S (yes - a 2013) was starting to blow up. You may want to do the same.
Not a drip at all. I appreciate the info. How old would you recommend going? I know someone else said 2016. There is a 2015 that’s in the ballpark but it’s got 112k miles.

Not a drip at all. I appreciate the info. How old would you recommend going? I know someone else said 2016. There is a 2015 that’s in the ballpark but it’s got 112k miles.
If nothing else - I've sat in the newer generation seats (which showed up around 2015-2016 I believe), and they are way more comfy than first generation seats. A lot more bolstering and side support. And as many have noted, lots of other notable improvements in the suspension etc. if you can nudge up the budget for a newer S.

Everything else being equal - I'd actually choose a 112k 2015 vs a 2013 or 2014 - unless you can find an older S that was only making trips back and forth to the country club, meaning an easy and gentle life.