TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Good carwash facilities in Silicon Valley?

Discussion in 'California' started by Jsvette56, May 29, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Jsvette56

Jsvette56 Member

My new red Tesla is getting dirty. I've been reviewing carwash facilities on Yelp around San Jose and find they all get dinged by a few people (maybe their competitors are doing it?).

Anyone have a good suggestion other than doing it myself?

2. Norcalgal

Norcalgal Member

I was brave last weekend and tried Bubbles car wash in Sunnyvale. It's hand wash and they did a pretty good job. I'm not 100% sold on them, but no scratches and my Tesla looked good.

3. Kaivball

Kaivball Member

I use Pacific Car Wash on Bascom near Hamilton.

It's a 100% hand car wash and they wash higher end cars all the time.

They have washed several Model S (including mine three times) and know how to drive them.

4. tdiggity

tdiggity Member

If you have just light dust, the Chevron on colemon (where In-n-Out burger is) has a completely touchless option. Uses only chemicals to wash the car that works well enough. If you have any debris stuck to the car, it won't work that well.

5. giants2001

giants2001 Member

This has also become my favorite spot for a hand car wash in the South Bay.

6. vcor

vcor Member

I've used Bubbles in Sunnyvale (all hand wash) and Classic Car Wash in San Jose. Note - for Classic ask for a hand wash, which is slightly more expensive and takes a little longer. They don't run the car through the tunnel with a hand wash. Both did a fine job.

7. Brady12

Brady12 Member

Resurrecting an old thread - any other suggestions on a car wash facility or maybe more reviews on the ones listed above. Thanks!

8. SMAlset

SMAlset Active Member

9. Nrazar

Nrazar Member

AJ Detailing seems like a good go for San Jose

10. timvracer

timvracer Member

11. thecloud

thecloud As rhythm raced inside, the ship came alive

#11 thecloud, Jul 20, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
    +1. As a result of the water conservation measures enacted in my city a few years ago, it's no longer ok to do a traditional wash in the driveway with a hose and bucket [see footnote below], so I learned how to keep the car clean without ever leaving the garage. I just use spray bottles filled with water, some vinegar-based Windex for the glass and tough spots, and a stack of clean microfiber towels to gently mop away the dirt after spray-soaking the surface. I'm extra careful about keeping a light touch to avoid swirls/scratches. Works great and there's no waste water to run off into the drain.

[*] I looked up our municipal code online. The wording apparently has a loophole that permits washing a vehicle if "the hose is fitted with a shut-off nozzle or device that causes it to cease dispensing water immediately when not in use." Still, I doubt I'll ever go back to that old method. :)

Edit: this comment may or may not be helpful, as the thread is specifically asking for recommendations on where to have your car washed by someone else. Sorry about that.

12. timvracer

timvracer Member

I use Optimum No-Rinse, it takes very little water, and works fantastic (so no hose in the driveway). If I end up getting really dirty (after a rain perhaps) I can use my power washer quickly to knock off the heavy stuff, then pull into the garage and use the ONR. Overall uses very little water. I just installed a water filtration system as well (on a 'switch') that lets me use soft water for the wash.

Try it out! Much safer than just using water, scratch free washing! I keep the mixture in a spray bottle, and also use a small bucket of it when I do the wash. I also have "The Big Red Sponge".