Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Good cellular service but no internet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Everything in my Model x works perfectly. My iPhone connects properly, the navigational system works great, the Slacker streaming works fine etc. The only thing that will not work without a reset is the internet. If I try to google something nothing happens. The screen stays on but its like the search or whatever I was doing just goes blank. If I do the two button reset it will come back and work properly for the day but the next day the same thing happens. I turned off the WIFI just to see if it somehow was kicking the cellular service off but that did not help either.
So now I have to reboot everyday. I called Tesla and they said they are working on it but I wanted to reach out to the group to see if anyone has a idea/fix.

Thanks
Gary

Technically, it sounds like the Web browser, or specifically the rendering engine, is not working (since Slacker and on-line navigation would also be using the Internet). The rendering engine also appears to be used for the contents of the on-line user manual (from the T-menu) and the release notes, so you will probably find these blank as well, when the Web browser is not working.

There's another recent thread:
Browser Frozen?????

It had annoyed me just enough that I contacted customer support, and I've been failing to describe the issue well enough to the person responding to the eMails it seems. I've been told that LTE signal is not available everywhere, and that I can access the User Manual from either the menu on the car or from the Tesla Web site; so no useful response.

Technically, it sounds like the Web browser, or specifically the rendering engine, is not working (since Slacker and on-line navigation would also be using the Internet). The rendering engine also appears to be used for the contents of the on-line user manual (from the T-menu) and the release notes, so you will probably find these blank as well, when the Web browser is not working.

There's another recent thread:
Browser Frozen?????

It had annoyed me just enough that I contacted customer support, and I've been failing to describe the issue well enough to the person responding to the eMails it seems. I've been told that LTE signal is not available everywhere, and that I can access the User Manual from either the menu on the car or from the Tesla Web site; so no useful response.
Thanks for better describing the issue you are correct it is a browser or the rendering. The on line user manual in the T menu does not work. I will post the reply I get from Tesla which has been escalated to a higher support level. I should here in a few days. Thanks again for responding

Thanks for better describing the issue you are correct it is a browser or the rendering. The on line user manual in the T menu does not work. I will post the reply I get from Tesla which has been escalated to a higher support level. I should here in a few days. Thanks again for responding
Also the other recent thread you referenced does sound like the same issue and I do have the new MCU as described in that post.

maybe its just AT&T. my work phone uses AT&T and it is complete garbage in terms of service wherever I go. even with 4-5 bars LTE I can do a speediest and get 1-3mbps.

This has nothing to do with the cellular service, which for both the poster in the first comment and my own experience is fine. Moreover, the cellular service shouldn't even come into play when browsing the in-car User Manual. This is an issue somewhere in the Web browser component/HTML rendering infrastructure Tesla has implemented.

Similar reports here - also on 2018.18 and I don't think the issue was happening before that version. I also noted that when this is happening, navigation reports no traffic data available. When I started the route, it was available and displayed, but mid-route that message popped up and the cellular signal indicator showed no signal. The two-scroll-button salute resolves it. It's not an LTE coverage issue - when this happened I was in the middle of town traveling at modest speed (ie. not moving a great distance). Upon reboot, the cellular signal strength showed four bars.

I should add this has happened to me 4-5 times in the past three weeks at least as I was traveling 4700 miles from New England out to Custer, SD and back. Yes, there were gaps in cellular coverage along the way, but this problem was happening mostly towards the end of a multi-hour leg of the trip as I typically returned to civilization and a supercharger.

Known issue with the new Intel based MCU on newer cars. I have the problem too. You will also notice you can't open the Owners Manual or see any content in the software "What's New" dialog box (must be browser-based).

Today I had the bride idea of shutting off the car power entirely. I went on the home screen and hit the button that says shutting off power . I then waited in the car for 5 min until I felt the entire system was off. ( it’s like unplugging your router that get stuck at home). I then pressed on the brake to wake up the car and low and behold the browser worked for the first time in 3 weeks. I took several drives today and every time the browser worked.
If you try this make sure you wait for several minutes as it takes the car several minutes to stop everything.

• Informative
Reactions: jrad6515
But my X is a September '17 build with the old MCU...

Okay... maybe it's not an exclusive MCU 2 thing then. It does seem more prevalent on MCU 2 cars because I have a number of friends with older cars who have not experienced it.

Today I had the bride idea of shutting off the car power entirely. I went on the home screen and hit the button that says shutting off power . I then waited in the car for 5 min until I felt the entire system was off. ( it’s like unplugging your router that get stuck at home). I then pressed on the brake to wake up the car and low and behold the browser worked for the first time in 3 weeks. I took several drives today and every time the browser worked.

I'll give that another try. In my experience, the browser quits after the car goes to sleep, then wakes up again. Curious to know what happens to you next time the car sleeps. Of course, MCU 2 cars no longer have any of the sleep options as they are now all "automatic" so I can't turn off Sleep even if I wanted to.

Okay... maybe it's not an exclusive MCU 2 thing then. It does seem more prevalent on MCU 2 cars because I have a number of friends with older cars who have not experienced it.

I'll give that another try. In my experience, the browser quits after the car goes to sleep, then wakes up again. Curious to know what happens to you next time the car sleeps. Of course, MCU 2 cars no longer have any of the sleep options as they are now all "automatic" so I can't turn off Sleep even if I wanted to.
Mine is much better after latest update - I am MCU2 - it still happens occasionally but NOT nearly as much since they updated me to 18.20

You were correct. The next time the car want to sleep overnight the browser would not work. Taking it in tomorrow to SC. Will update everyone when I get further information.

You were correct. The next time the car want to sleep overnight the browser would not work. Taking it in tomorrow to SC. Will update everyone when I get further information.
What firmware are you on? Since 2018.20 mine is MUCH better - there is now a 2018.20.5 out there...waiting for it but mine has only frozen once that I have noticed (though I do NOT have an Owners Manual any more...)

What firmware are you on? Since 2018.20 mine is MUCH better - there is now a 2018.20.5 out there...waiting for it but mine has only frozen once that I have noticed (though I do NOT have an Owners Manual any more...)
I’m on 2018.20. It certainly sounds more and more like a firmware issue. If it was a hardware issue I doubt I would get interment usage of the browser. I will see what they say tomorrow and update everyone