TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Good day to have a Tesla

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by insaneoctane, Jul 6, 2018.

1. insaneoctane

insaneoctane Active Member

So it's literally 110 degrees F where I live in Southern California today. I decided to get the family out of the house (not running AC yet) and stay cool. Took the Model 3 and pre cooled it to 69 degrees (in the garage). Went to lunch and pre cooled it while the kids finished their ice cream. Went to movies. Saw the new Ant man-great flick BTW. Precooled again. Walking to the car felt like Las Vegas, but the car was wonderfully 69. Went to the Mall, found front row parking with FREE charging. Just got the notification that my car is fully charged. Still over 100 degrees outside at 8:30pm, but I know that I will be getting into a comfortable 69 degree car in a little bit and I will feel like a celebrity doing it.... It's a great day to be a Tesla owner!

• Like x 29
    • Love x 9
  2. Ejl80

Ejl80 Supporting Member

I thought this thread was going to be about any day that ends with the word day is a good day to be a Tesla owner.

Can't wait to see Ant Man this weekend.

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 1
  3. ebmcs03

ebmcs03 Active Member

But every EV you can turn on the AC remotely. Even the Prius can do that. Doesn’t have to be Tesla.

• Like x 1
  4. e-FTW

e-FTW New electron smell

Perfect example of the seemingly little things, easily overlooked when reading the “Autopilot is a sentient robot killing humans” and “But how far will it go on a charge?” headlines, that are actually quite awesome advantages to Tesla life.

I certainly enjoyed having a Tesla when going to Death Valley in April, and ignoring all of those “Turn off A/C” signs on the uphills. :)

• Funny x 3
    • Love x 2
  5. buttershrimp

buttershrimp Click my signature to Go Mad Max Mode

And my grandmother can technically wear a bikini, but I sure as hell wouldn't look forward to that.....

• Funny x 37
  6. T34ME

T34ME Active Member

Maybe Tesla will change how we look at our weekly calendars - Goodday 1, Goodday 2....................Goodday 7. :D

• Like x 1
  7. Rotarypower

Rotarypower Member

Really?

8. chronopc

chronopc Active Member

Sure but a Model 3 is way more likely to get you laid than a Prius.

• Funny x 8
    • Like x 5
    • Informative x 1
    • Love x 1
  9. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

No not really. My old Prius couldn't do that and even if it could, it automatically turned on the engine for 6 minutes when the vehicle was started up. This wouldn't have been good inside a garage.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  10. ccutrer

ccutrer Active Member

Theoretically I should be able to do it with my Leaf. They even replaced my telematics unit (whatever the heck that means) for me under warranty to work with LTE, since they shut down their 3G network. But the car never connects to the network, and it's not worth the pain of dealing with the dealership to figure it out. I have a friend with an older Leaf that no longer works (his telematics unit wasn't under warranty when they dumped 3G), but he said the app was so terrible and took so long to connect it wasn't worth using anyway. Another friend has a new Leaf that it works a bit better with, but he's probably not going to pay their ridiculous fee once his freebie year or whatever is up.

Tesla, on the other hand, is braindead simple. I swipe right on my phone, wait a second or two for it to connect, then press the climate button and I'm done. And every Tesla car ever made (excluding original Roadster) can do this, still, and for the far foreseeable future, with no additional fees (even when Premier internet access is an additional fee, basic app functions like climate control will still be free).

• Like x 3
    • Informative x 2
  11. Krugerrand

Krugerrand Well-Known Member

That’s a lifestyle I’ve become accustomed to as well. I get in other’s cars and it’s out of my mouth before I can think, “How come you didn’t precool?!”

• Funny x 2
  12. ℬête Noire

ℬête Noire Active Member

But then you'd get inside and have to drive a Prius. AKA a miniature grain truck (I swear that's my exact takeaway when I test drove one years back). :p

P.S. I though you had to be within a certain limited range to do this with a Prius? On top of the chance of it firing up it's ICE engine, it'd only run the A/C for a couple minutes max?

13. TaoJones

TaoJones Beyond Driven

Yanno, flights are $179 RT to Iceland, and I gotta say, with it being 108F in Burbank today,118F in Coachella ytdy, and with an expected 93F at the harbor manana, Iceland sounds pretty good right about now.

Could be worse. Friends in the hills east of San Diego have no electricity, no land line service, and are pending evacuation orders due to the fires.

Hereabouts, I expect the power to quit sometime this weekend just because. Happily, I have solar panels and don’t care, but a lot of people are not going to be happy campers. Inland is a given, but you know something’s up when Torrance, a nearby South Bay burg that in (small) part adjoins the ocean, opens community cooling centers due to expected triple digit wx.

Iceland. Very tempting. Never mind that rain is forecast for the next week. With a high of 54F and a low of 46F, it’s a package deal - 50% off airfare AND 50% off the temperature as well.

What a country.

• Funny x 4
  14. ebmcs03

ebmcs03 Active Member

How old was your Prius? My Prius is a 2018 Prius Prime and yes it can turn on the ac remotely and will not start the engine. It can drive a whole 25 miles on electric mode. Woo hoo!

Prius has come some ways. I hated the old Prius. But the Prime is “ok” for the price.

15. Adeon

Adeon Member

Let me guess... got home and room temp was 69?

16. EVMeister

EVMeister Member

Same with my Renault ZOE. The app was so increadibly unreliably, it was a total crapshoot whether or not the car would actually have conditioned to my desired temperature by the time I got in. The only reliable way to precondition was the little button on the keyfob! Needless to say, for my last year of ownership (now the app license has expired and needs to be renewed) I've just been using the fob. I look forward to a car that can do this reliably. Haha.

• Informative x 2
  17. insaneoctane

insaneoctane Active Member

Nope. 82! For some reason I am cheap on cooling the whole house. I went to the pool and waited until 10pm when rates dropped and kicked it on at 72. I can't explain it, but it seems like I need to save that energy for my Tesla ;)

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 1
  18. MXWing

MXWing Active Member

Well damn, guess I could save a lot of money on that Model 3 if “even the Prius can do that” answer for everything!

• Funny x 1
  19. cizUK

cizUK Member

But every car you can turn on the AC remotely. New Volvos can do that. Doesn't have to be an EV.;)

Master of sweeping statements:D

20. Drax

Drax Member

Your whole day sounds great and all (Ant-Man 2 was awesome!) but... If 110F isn’t hot enough to turn on the A/C, what is?!

• Love x 1