Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Good day to have a Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So it's literally 110 degrees F where I live in Southern California today. I decided to get the family out of the house (not running AC yet) and stay cool. Took the Model 3 and pre cooled it to 69 degrees (in the garage). Went to lunch and pre cooled it while the kids finished their ice cream. Went to movies. Saw the new Ant man-great flick BTW. Precooled again. Walking to the car felt like Las Vegas, but the car was wonderfully 69. Went to the Mall, found front row parking with FREE charging. Just got the notification that my car is fully charged. Still over 100 degrees outside at 8:30pm, but I know that I will be getting into a comfortable 69 degree car in a little bit and I will feel like a celebrity doing it.... It's a great day to be a Tesla owner!

Perfect example of the seemingly little things, easily overlooked when reading the “Autopilot is a sentient robot killing humans” and “But how far will it go on a charge?” headlines, that are actually quite awesome advantages to Tesla life.

I certainly enjoyed having a Tesla when going to Death Valley in April, and ignoring all of those “Turn off A/C” signs on the uphills. :)

But every EV you can turn on the AC remotely. Even the Prius can do that. Doesn’t have to be Tesla.
No not really. My old Prius couldn't do that and even if it could, it automatically turned on the engine for 6 minutes when the vehicle was started up. This wouldn't have been good inside a garage.

But every EV you can turn on the AC remotely. Even the Prius can do that. Doesn’t have to be Tesla.
Theoretically I should be able to do it with my Leaf. They even replaced my telematics unit (whatever the heck that means) for me under warranty to work with LTE, since they shut down their 3G network. But the car never connects to the network, and it's not worth the pain of dealing with the dealership to figure it out. I have a friend with an older Leaf that no longer works (his telematics unit wasn't under warranty when they dumped 3G), but he said the app was so terrible and took so long to connect it wasn't worth using anyway. Another friend has a new Leaf that it works a bit better with, but he's probably not going to pay their ridiculous fee once his freebie year or whatever is up.

Tesla, on the other hand, is braindead simple. I swipe right on my phone, wait a second or two for it to connect, then press the climate button and I'm done. And every Tesla car ever made (excluding original Roadster) can do this, still, and for the far foreseeable future, with no additional fees (even when Premier internet access is an additional fee, basic app functions like climate control will still be free).

So it's literally 110 degrees F where I live in Southern California today. I decided to get the family out of the house (not running AC yet) and stay cool. Took the Model 3 and pre cooled it to 69 degrees (in the garage). Went to lunch and pre cooled it while the kids finished their ice cream. Went to movies. Saw the new Ant man-great flick BTW. Precooled again. Walking to the car felt like Las Vegas, but the car was wonderfully 69. Went to the Mall, found front row parking with FREE charging. Just got the notification that my car is fully charged. Still over 100 degrees outside at 8:30pm, but I know that I will be getting into a comfortable 69 degree car in a little bit and I will feel like a celebrity doing it.... It's a great day to be a Tesla owner!

That’s a lifestyle I’ve become accustomed to as well. I get in other’s cars and it’s out of my mouth before I can think, “How come you didn’t precool?!”

But then you'd get inside and have to drive a Prius. AKA a miniature grain truck (I swear that's my exact takeaway when I test drove one years back). :p

P.S. I though you had to be within a certain limited range to do this with a Prius? On top of the chance of it firing up it's ICE engine, it'd only run the A/C for a couple minutes max?

Yanno, flights are $179 RT to Iceland, and I gotta say, with it being 108F in Burbank today,118F in Coachella ytdy, and with an expected 93F at the harbor manana, Iceland sounds pretty good right about now.

Could be worse. Friends in the hills east of San Diego have no electricity, no land line service, and are pending evacuation orders due to the fires.

Hereabouts, I expect the power to quit sometime this weekend just because. Happily, I have solar panels and don’t care, but a lot of people are not going to be happy campers. Inland is a given, but you know something’s up when Torrance, a nearby South Bay burg that in (small) part adjoins the ocean, opens community cooling centers due to expected triple digit wx.

Iceland. Very tempting. Never mind that rain is forecast for the next week. With a high of 54F and a low of 46F, it’s a package deal - 50% off airfare AND 50% off the temperature as well.

What a country.

No not really. My old Prius couldn't do that and even if it could, it automatically turned on the engine for 6 minutes when the vehicle was started up. This wouldn't have been good inside a garage.

How old was your Prius? My Prius is a 2018 Prius Prime and yes it can turn on the ac remotely and will not start the engine. It can drive a whole 25 miles on electric mode. Woo hoo!

Prius has come some ways. I hated the old Prius. But the Prime is “ok” for the price.

Theoretically I should be able to do it with my Leaf. They even replaced my telematics unit (whatever the heck that means) for me under warranty to work with LTE, since they shut down their 3G network. But the car never connects to the network, and it's not worth the pain of dealing with the dealership to figure it out. I have a friend with an older Leaf that no longer works (his telematics unit wasn't under warranty when they dumped 3G), but he said the app was so terrible and took so long to connect it wasn't worth using anyway. Another friend has a new Leaf that it works a bit better with, but he's probably not going to pay their ridiculous fee once his freebie year or whatever is up.

Tesla, on the other hand, is braindead simple. I swipe right on my phone, wait a second or two for it to connect, then press the climate button and I'm done. And every Tesla car ever made (excluding original Roadster) can do this, still, and for the far foreseeable future, with no additional fees (even when Premier internet access is an additional fee, basic app functions like climate control will still be free).

Same with my Renault ZOE. The app was so increadibly unreliably, it was a total crapshoot whether or not the car would actually have conditioned to my desired temperature by the time I got in. The only reliable way to precondition was the little button on the keyfob! Needless to say, for my last year of ownership (now the app license has expired and needs to be renewed) I've just been using the fob. I look forward to a car that can do this reliably. Haha.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and e-FTW