Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Good deal on a 2020 LR AWD or stick to a new 2021 SR+?

ahsan206

Apr 4, 2021
New Jersey
I have an order for a new SR+ at $40K delivering in June but just found a 2020 LR AWD in the used inventory with 26k on it for $43k. Both are Midnight silver with black interior and the SR+ has aero wheels while the LR has the 19" sport wheels. I would probably end up swapping the on the 2020 as I am not a fan of the 19" as well as wrap all the chrome to black to match the refresh chrome delete. Since the 2020 is an LR, It comes with acceleration boost as an added bonus as well as the premium interior (nicer audio). The biggest factor for me is the depreciation since I plan to only keep the car for around 3-4 years before upgrading to possible a cybertruck. Which car do you guys think would take a lesser depreciation hit? Also do you guys think the 2020 seems like a good deal?

Matt35

Mar 17, 2021
NJ
Looks like you are in NJ. The $5K rebate will be back in NJ in July. That would either enable you to lower the price on SR or possibly get a brand new LR at same price as the used one. Not sure if you are flexible on timing.
but between your two options listed, maybe just go with the SR that is configured as you want out the door. I think as more competition and technology flood the market in the next few years, you would be at slightly less investment risk as you shelled out less up front. Who knows what the market will look like in 4 years, so just go with what you will enjoy now as it most likely wouldn’t be a massive net difference later on. But if you only ordered the SR as it was more affordable, but really do want more range/performance, then I would go LR. But again, then I’d try to stretch to July for $5k rebate in NJ to offset higher price.

Eduskator

May 4, 2021
Gatineau, Québec
Do you need the extra range of the LR? Do you need AWD?

Tesla vehicles tend to keep their value. I would not be worried about depreciation on either the 2020 or the 2019, but depending on where you live, potential buyers might be looking for specific things such as AWD and the extra range.

bnsfengineer

Aug 25, 2017
So.Ca.
For myself the more range the better! I drive locally but when you may want to do a road trip its just inconvenient when you want your trip over and you don't need to stop for restroom break or to just stretch your legs. Also keep in mind you will almost never get the range that it states and my MS75 rated new was 247 now down to 221 and M3 from 325 down to 300. So if I was in your shoes LR

Reactions: Watts_Up

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC