Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Good deal on a 2020 LR AWD or stick to a new 2021 SR+?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an order for a new SR+ at $40K delivering in June but just found a 2020 LR AWD in the used inventory with 26k on it for $43k. Both are Midnight silver with black interior and the SR+ has aero wheels while the LR has the 19" sport wheels. I would probably end up swapping the on the 2020 as I am not a fan of the 19" as well as wrap all the chrome to black to match the refresh chrome delete. Since the 2020 is an LR, It comes with acceleration boost as an added bonus as well as the premium interior (nicer audio). The biggest factor for me is the depreciation since I plan to only keep the car for around 3-4 years before upgrading to possible a cybertruck. Which car do you guys think would take a lesser depreciation hit? Also do you guys think the 2020 seems like a good deal?

Looks like you are in NJ. The $5K rebate will be back in NJ in July. That would either enable you to lower the price on SR or possibly get a brand new LR at same price as the used one. Not sure if you are flexible on timing.
but between your two options listed, maybe just go with the SR that is configured as you want out the door. I think as more competition and technology flood the market in the next few years, you would be at slightly less investment risk as you shelled out less up front. Who knows what the market will look like in 4 years, so just go with what you will enjoy now as it most likely wouldn’t be a massive net difference later on. But if you only ordered the SR as it was more affordable, but really do want more range/performance, then I would go LR. But again, then I’d try to stretch to July for $5k rebate in NJ to offset higher price.

Do you need the extra range of the LR? Do you need AWD?

Tesla vehicles tend to keep their value. I would not be worried about depreciation on either the 2020 or the 2019, but depending on where you live, potential buyers might be looking for specific things such as AWD and the extra range.

For myself the more range the better! I drive locally but when you may want to do a road trip its just inconvenient when you want your trip over and you don't need to stop for restroom break or to just stretch your legs. Also keep in mind you will almost never get the range that it states and my MS75 rated new was 247 now down to 221 and M3 from 325 down to 300. So if I was in your shoes LR

Reactions: Watts_Up
The new car has the insulated glass that the older car doesn't. For me, that was one of the biggest determining factors. I watched a few YouTube reviews comparing the 2020 to 2021, and it was obvious the 2021 was the better car. Once I heard about the difference and how much quieter the new glass is, I felt like I made the right decision. There are other things, perhaps more immaterial like the additional door trim and the center console that doesn't smudge up as easily.

I'm coming out of a 2018 WRX that feels like it's as loud as an airplane on the expressway so maybe I am hypersensitive to wanting a super quiet interior but everybody seems to say the refresh is super amazing.

The new car has the insulated glass that the older car doesn't. For me, that was one of the biggest determining factors. I watched a few YouTube reviews comparing the 2020 to 2021, and it was obvious the 2021 was the better car. Once I heard about the difference and how much quieter the new glass is, I felt like I made the right decision. There are other things, perhaps more immaterial like the additional door trim and the center console that doesn't smudge up as easily.

I'm coming out of a 2018 WRX that feels like it's as loud as an airplane on the expressway so maybe I am hypersensitive to wanting a super quiet interior but everybody seems to say the refresh is super amazing.
I dunno about the road noise difference since I never drove a 2020 and prior, but the redesigned center console, heat pump, and power trunk (along with the double pane glass) makes it easier for someone to justify an upgrade.

I realise I'm a bit of an "opposite" situation, but for what it's worth I was debating trading in my 2020 M3 SR+ for the 2021 M3 LR. I live in Canada, so with a colder climate, the range was my first determining factor (I have two young kids and our parents live at least 600km away in each direction). The premium sound system (I like my music), double pane glass, power trunk and AWD (I'd already done a chrome delete on the 2020 SR+) sealed the deal for me. I bought the SR+ for $55,990 and got a $5,000 after tax rebate so paid approx $51,640 for the car. I just sold it for $46,600 meaning it cost me $5040 (+ tax on the whole car) to drive it for a year and a half. Probably not a great deal, but the best situation I could hope for considering I really wanted to upgrade.

One more thing I forgot to mention. Not sure if it will make that much of a difference, but as of 2021 they dropped forward radar and rely solely on vision based forward collision. If that's important to you, it's something else to consider.