TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Good Deal on a 75D Model S?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by kmistry1986, Sep 5, 2017.

1. kmistry1986

kmistry1986 Member

I have put down a deposit on a 2017 75D that has just about every option (that I can tell) except FSD and the rear facing seats. Its got one of those "showroom discounts" and I am getting it for right around $80k after an adjustment of $20k. The VIN is in the 190XXXs. I think its a great deal, but I want to ensure I'm not missing anything. Thoughts?

2. Bebop

Bebop Member

So this is a car direct from the new inventory page?

I would call and ask about when the car was actually made. It could be the difference between having the new drive unit and not having it. Assuming it was made post July 2017.

3. kmistry1986

kmistry1986 Member

Aside from the increased acceleration, is there any other pros or cons for the if it has the older drive unit?

4. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

Do you know how many miles? I mean, it's really 'Inventory' and not a showroom demo, etc.?

5. Bebop

Bebop Member

Aside from that. Nothing else that I'm aware of. It's just about getting the best bang for the buck at 80K.

6. evster

evster Member

It's missing the new AP 2.5 hw, new Back Seat, Air suspension, new Ultrafabric seats/interior and maybe some other stuff we're not yet aware of. But apart from that, you'll be fine :)

7. EnjoyingLife

EnjoyingLife Member

If it has premium package, SAS, sub zero, upgraded sound and dual charger, that's a hell of a deal! Though I'm not sure what you mean by "just about every option..."

• Like x 1
  8. idleuser

idleuser Member

That 20k off msrp is inflated. Any Model S build after July 2017 includes the following

$2500 SaS - included
    $3000 premium upgrade- included
    ???? New electric motor 0-60 in 4.4/4.3 - included
    ???? Ap2.5 hardware - included
    ???? Upgraded rear seats - included

• Informative x 1
  9. kmistry1986

kmistry1986 Member

Here is the spec sheet. I guess the only thing I didn't think about was the twin chargers. From my calcs and based on the current 75D, its an actual savings of around $14K, unless I missed something. I did not take into account the new backseat or the faster 0-60 in the current ones as its not a huge deal breaker there for me.

Another question...can the carbon fiber decor be added after the fact or is that something that needs to be done at the factory?

I appreciate all the feedback!

Attached Files:

10. EnjoyingLife

EnjoyingLife Member

That's a really good deal! It's also red! Plus it's not carbon fiber décor which is really flat. Congrats!

11. stan23

stan23 Member

That's not a bad deal. How many miles? That VIN is pretty old for an inventory car. My July 2017 build is in the 210xxx range VIN.

12. idleuser

idleuser Member

Judging from that combo, SAS was discontinued for the S75 somewhere around April/May and then it got reintroduced again in July. So in order for your car to have SAS, PUP, and Cold Weather package, the car would have to be built before April. Therefore, this deal isn't as great as it seems as 20,000 is pretty inflated. Most of the PUP options are now standard along with SAS.

A Brand New 75D+Red+EAP+PUP cost $89,300 before discounts. For it to be 20,000 off the car would have to be close to 100,000. This is a bad deal.

• Like x 1
  13. GaryREM

GaryREM Member

As @idleuser said, it looks like a $9,300 savings and probably a few weeks quicker delivery for a car that must have some miles on it.

For me that would no deal because I'd want the new motor, faster acceleration, hardware 2.5.

14. No ICE

No ICE 75D pearl white refresh AP1

That's a great deal! And nobody here really knows about the speed upgrade it being on your car. Other threads on here are describing older cars even AP1 cpo cars over seas getting the speed upgrade. You could simply check on that with you DS, and ask that that be done prior to delivery. With or without the speed upgrade that is still a great deal! Congrats.

We purchased a showroom discount car last Oct for $8500 off it had 50 miles on it. Usually when these things happen it means something new is coming next Q and tesla is purging inventory cars. So mentally prepare yourself for that to happen. For us the AP 2 came out six days after our delivery. Still at such a huge discount we didn't care.
    Best of luck to you on your purchase and enjoy!

• Like x 1
  15. kmistry1986

kmistry1986 Member

I have tried to contact my OA but he is out of the office for a few days so I am not sure yet if it has the upgraded acceleration, but like I said, its not a deal breaker for me. Saving $10k and having slightly slower acceleration is a perfectly fine trade-off to me. I appreciate the feedback from everyone.

Now just gotta wait till I get the call for delivery!

16. bnsfengineer

bnsfengineer Member

DISCOUNTS??!!! What discounts? I was told they do not negotiate and before I ordered new S I spoke with CPO from Tesla and they said the price that is listed on there site is Stone???!!! Are we talking about cars that from time to time they throw one or two on there with a nice disc. from MSRP? Also I paid MSRP less the 1K referral discount ordering new....are you telling me I didn't have to and could had negotiated the price????? PLEASE DON'T!!!

17. stan23

stan23 Member

The only discounts tesla gives are for inventory cars. Some are listed as "showroom" or "demo"

Mine was listed as having 50 miles, but was brand new with 6 miles on the odometer. I got 1k off. With referral, I got 2k off MSRP.

The older the inventory car, or cars with actual demo use, the bigger the discount.

Remember, all inventory cars are sold new, so you get all the tax advantages.

18. Krash

Krash Supporting Member

Acceleration will be the same. Just make sure to get in writing that the performance update or "uncorking" is included. They can do it later if you have documentation on it.

Benefits of the new drive unit are slightly more efficiency and possibility of higher performance later if Tesla ever unlocks it or if you decide to have someone do it later out of warranty. New drive units might benefit form more reliability, although under warranty it probably doesn't matter.