Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Good deal on used P85D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve been watching EV cpo website for my next model S. Warranty on my 13 P85 is almost used up, so I want to move up to P85D. Currently two Titanium for sale with four year warranty (I know, no FUSC). The one with preferred tan interior only has 16K miles and a reasonable $51,000. At least seems reasonable to me, as warranty is more valuable to me than free supercharging.

Anyone see any negatives to taking the plunge? Price has been dropping but I can’t see it dropping much further. Thanks to all in advance!

You know, less than a year ago I posted something similar and got a few Thumbs down for inquiring.

I won't do that to you, valid question, and my opinion, if that is the color combo you want, the price sounds good to me. Mileage is incredibly low as well.

What other options does it have? Pano, NextGen seats, Subzero, UHFS, 21 inch wheels, Air suspension, Premium Pkg..etc.....these all add value.

The FUSC isn't that huge of a deal to some, but adds some value to others. You're exactly right, a personal trade off. And personally, that warranty offers much needed piece of mind. As I get older, I just don't want to deal with issues. I got a wife and kids that consume too much of my time already. :)

Living in the Northeast, I'd try to hold out for a Subzero-equipped car.
Tan interior one has been repaired, black interior one has a clean history. That might be why such a low-mileage P85D has that low of a price.
Neither of the two Titanium Metallic ones has Ludicrous.

If I had the extra cash, I'd go for this one: 2014 Model S | Tesla
It's higher mileage, but Ludicrous and + suspension.

Double check the plus suspension. I just ordered a 2015 P85DL that had the plus suspension listed but it is standard smart. Odd since it is a March 2015 delivery car, and I believe those still had the + suspension, but I'd still reach out and make sure.

Subzero with a heated wheel was a must for me, however, and I'm south of the Mason-Dixon.

Reactions: BulldogsRus
Tan interior one has been repaired, black interior one has a clean history. That might be why such a low-mileage P85D has that low of a price.

Not seeing Ludicrous on that one?

IMG_4896.JPG

I totally agree. Buy the 2014 with Ludicrous and + suspension... then replace the stock wheels with Arachnids to replicate my 2015 P85D Ludicrous and + suspension. Mine is AMAZING and Ludicrous is worth every penny of the upgrade ($5,000 for select P85D owners... $10,000 if ordered online).

Reactions: FlatSix911

The 2014 has 52,000 miles versus the 2015 only 16,000 miles. Big difference. The 2014 only comes with a 2 year warranty instead of 4. Big difference. Only $5,000 price difference for 35,000 miles, 2015 is a no brainer if these are the two choices. And while it doesn't technically matter with Tesla, the fact remains that there is an impact on value in all markets outside of Tesla for a 2014 versus a 2015 model year.

Four year warranty is a must, free supercharging not so much. Don’t need subzero as I would not drive my Tesla in the snow. (It rarely sees rain). That’s why my BROWN 2013 P85 looks like new, and it’s fast enough, I just like the ‘planted’ feeling of the P85D.

Thanks for the continued great feedback. The one I’m looking at is down to $50,500! If it goes sub $50K I may just have to pull the trigger.

Unless you have a need for the extra acceleration (actual competition), the P85D is still mind blowing in off the line acceleration. I had a P90D with Insane mode. Was able to upgrade for $5,000 and so I did it, but for me, got no extra pleasure out of the car being able to do 2.7 0-60 as I did with it being able to do 3.0 0-60. At 3.0 0-60, there's not another car on the street that could pull up beside you and beat you off the light in real world conditions, short of a P100D with ludicrous. But who cares about being faster than another Tesla. All about embarrassing those $250,000+ super cars. Due to traction alone on the street, even super car rated for 2.5 0-60 would lose as that time is based on perfect conditions and scenario. He'd never get the traction off the line.

I used insane mode primarily to show off to passenger. Each one was blown away by the more than 1G acceleration. Once changed to the Ludicrous option, reactions didn't change one bit.

For me, would get as much pleasure out of the 2015 with Insane mode as I would from the 2014 Ludicrous. The difference is, you get a 1 year newer car with 40,000 fewer miles and you get a 4 year warranty instead of just a 2 year warrant, which big on these cars. Also, 2015 has the P90 battery with longer range than does the 2014 with an 85 battery.

For $5,000 more, the 2015 is the no brainer and will have the better resale value in 2, 3, 4 ears. .

For me , 2015

Go run KBB book value on both cars. The difference will be much greater than $5,000. The 2015 will have a notably higher value. 2014 only gets 24,000 miles of peace of mind driving. The 2015 will get 50,000 miles. And even then, you'll still only have 56,000 miles on the car, ready to for another 2-3 years. The 2014 will be getting pretty beat up with over 100,000 miles by then.

Your money, your call. Both great cars, but you have my no brainer advice to do as you see fit with.

Four year warranty is a must, free supercharging not so much. Don’t need subzero as I would not drive my Tesla in the snow. (It rarely sees rain). That’s why my BROWN 2013 P85 looks like new, and it’s fast enough, I just like the ‘planted’ feeling of the P85D.

Thanks for the continued great feedback. The one I’m looking at is down to $50,500! If it goes sub $50K I may just have to pull the trigger.
Four year warranty requirement will rule out all of the 2014s, regardless of mileage, including the Ludicrous one with Plus suspension that I had linked.

E1C2FEDE-D90A-44F0-909B-1A5B59E43C90.jpeg
D717BFCB-8335-4169-B38A-050D8E94AD85.jpeg
Will be selling my 2015 P85DL ( ocean blue, cream interior ) as soon as I get a sunny day to take pics, probably this weekend. 52900 miles, whole life in a heated garage. Fully loaded, air suspension, sub zero( includes steering wheel), premium interior, next gen seats, extended Napa covering, sunroof, rear wing, upgraded lighting and stereo, auto pilot 1FUSC transferable
value added options and accessories
Clear bra nose, rear bumper,
Third cquartz application since new and color correction just done,
19 inch wheels professional painted semigloss black, straightened with new Goodyear’s mounted this spring. Front AND rear consoles purchased from tesla ( rear console no cracks in hinge) SS dead pedal, rear trunk Matt, abstract ocean extra bright trunk lightsetc etc. three door handle pinion gears replaced under warranty as well as 12 volt battery and takata air bag. Pm me if you are interested. Should get a car fax tomorrow. Asking $54900. 90% charge219 100%241 100% new251

Last edited:
Reactions: VikH and sorka
Double check the plus suspension. I just ordered a 2015 P85DL that had the plus suspension listed but it is standard smart. Odd since it is a March 2015 delivery car, and I believe those still had the + suspension, but I'd still reach out and make sure.

Subzero with a heated wheel was a must for me, however, and I'm south of the Mason-Dixon.

All March cars still had it. My P85D was March 31st and has the plus suspension...unfortunately.

• Funny
Reactions: Zishan
Sorry for me there are only three colors I will NOT buy- titanium, black and that brown they had for a short while. The ludicrous upgrade makes a huge difference in acceleration. I would (and did) buy the ludicrous model or a P90DL
An interesting graph I found here about color value on 2014-2016 Teslas. Apparently red, silver and white are the colors which get used car price premium.
Tesla color value.png

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
When looking at used pricing I think too many are overlooking a 370mile range Raven starts at $80k and that is active suspension AP and still a darn quick car with 3.7 0-60.
Many are still pricing based on what their car cost new ignoring the big swing up in standard equipment and range and big swing down in price.

Reactions: sorka