Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Good deal or not? Need your advice please

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the forum and am seeking your advice on which direction I should go in with my Tesla Model S purchase. I'm in the market for either of the following vehicles and been weighing the pros and cons of both for a week now.

Vehicle 1: 2015 70D, 12k miles, ~$68k
- Autopilot, next gen seats, pano, high def sound, premium interior, 19s, black alct headliner

Vehicle 2: 2016 75D, 10k miles, ~$74k
- Autopilot, facelift, next gen seats, pano, 21s

I drive 15k/year and plan on keeping the vehicle for at least 3-4 years. Leaning towards Vehicle 2 because of higher future resale value compared to a 2 yr old vehicle with the original nose.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Cheers,
-Greg

Much appreciated RichardD. Both are privately owned vehicles (not CPOd) - should have mentioned that in my original post - thanks for calling it out.

I've searched on ev-cpo hunter and was unable to find a vehicle similar to Veh 1 and 2 at that price point - they're in the low to high 80s range. Will check again.

Thanks again.
-Greg

Good point Eclectic but I'm just not a fan of the other wheels. If I end up purchasing one with 19s then I'll most likely order 20s with a little more meat on them - perhaps a 9.5 square setup - no clue if that's kosher on the front end - back should be fine.

Good point Eclectic but I'm just not a fan of the other wheels. If I end up purchasing one with 19s then I'll most likely order 20s with a little more meat on them - perhaps a 9.5 square setup - no clue if that's kosher on the front end - back should be fine.

Obviously, a personal preference. When we bought our first Tesla (a P85), we tested the 21s and I couldn't stand the ride on Bay Area roads, so we went with the 19s. They give a great ride and plenty of handling. When the P85D was introduced, we were one of the first to place an order, and one of the first to try to cancel as well when I found out the 19" wasn't an option. Luckily, Tesla quickly changed their position and offered the 19s and we kept the order. The 21s look great, for sure, but that's where it ends. If the 20s work, that would be a pretty good compromise.

Just a bit of perspective.

Seems like a lot. I had a 85D 2015 on CPO that I bought for 69k. They still have it in Florida if you want. It only has 15k miles.
Black/ Black (1st gen seats) Pano, 19s. So, yours have a few more options but a CPO you at least have 4/50

Thanks Indpowr. The problem with the first gen seats is the headrest. I'm 6'3" and the headrest pushes up right onto my upper back/lower neck - feels very uncomfortable. I actually did the math on buying 2nd gen seats on an older 2013-14 with first gen seats - it's looking like an additional 6-7k.

Reactions: Indpowr
@Hbey5

Unless you're 100pct set on one of these 2 cars, I would reach out to Tesla if you have not already as they have visibility into upcoming cpo cars not listed anywhere online yet.

You're correct re. the facelifted/resale value but I would personally pick the classic one and enjoy all these options daily for the next n years vs getting more for my car n years later...but that's my personal way of dealing with the "what if I get hit by a bus tomorrow" type of thing.

Reactions: RichardD
I got almost an identical to your vehicle 1 option 2015 CPO 85D last month except I got subzero and you got High Audio for 72,500 with 10k miles. So for $4500 more, I got a better battery and faster car plus the 4 year warranty compared to the 2 years you have left. This will give you an idea of what you can get if you are patient enough in the CPO market.

I got almost an identical to your vehicle 1 option 2015 CPO 85D last month except I got subzero and you got High Audio for 72,500 with 10k miles. So for $4500 more, I got a better battery and faster car plus the 4 year warranty compared to the 2 years you have left. This will give you an idea of what you can get if you are patient enough in the CPO market.
Agreed.. I am so glad I took my time and waited for my CPO. The warranty sealed the deal for me.

2015 85D | Silver Metallic | Black Next Gen | Carbon Fiber Décor | Pano | AP1 | SAS | UHFS | Dual Chargers | Sub Zero 39000 miles and -67k CPO

I contacted Tesla and spoke directly to a CPO agent, Mohammed from SoCal. No vehicles that include my must haves at this price point. It's quite frustrating considering I've been on and off ev-CPO for months now and could swear seeing some cars that made sense. Agent did share that there are times they have visibility to vehicles not listed in ev-CPO. He also said that the ev hunter is way better than their in house search tools.