Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Good deal or not?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I found a private listing in texas for a 2021 MX LR with 39k miles selling for $97k. Sounds like a great deal and I was ready to pull the trigger until i found out from the carfax that the vehicle had an accident reported. I asked the seller and they said the MX was rear ended and the front also had some damage as they got rear ended in traffic, thus pushing the car forward and hitting the car in front. Tesla made all repairs so I am assuming it's all OEM parts from Tesla. Carfax does not a salvage and is still under warranty for another 10k, which I will definitely exceed in the next 6-10 months if purchase the MX. Plus, I believe I will still have the option to purchase the extended warranty.

Is this a smart buy or not considering warranty is still available? Any advise is greatly appreciated, thanks

I found a private listing in texas for a 2021 MX LR with 39k miles selling for $97k. Sounds like a great deal and I was ready to pull the trigger until i found out from the carfax that the vehicle had an accident reported. I asked the seller and they said the MX was rear ended and the front also had some damage as they got rear ended in traffic, thus pushing the car forward and hitting the car in front. Tesla made all repairs so I am assuming it's all OEM parts from Tesla. Carfax does not a salvage and is still under warranty for another 10k, which I will definitely exceed in the next 6-10 months if purchase the MX. Plus, I believe I will still have the option to purchase the extended warranty.

Is this a smart buy or not considering warranty is still available? Any advise is greatly appreciated, thanks
Lets see, it has been wrecked and the seller still wants $97k? I have a brand new 2022 X on order (since June) and it is priced @ $93,490. Seems like around $30k too high. Now I admit, I have no idea when I will get my new unit, and it is a five passenger, and you can go pick up the used unit today. But still, 97k seems a bit nuts to me.

Reactions: Bacalao and jboy210
That’s about the going rate without the CARFAX ding on it. I think that would normally be a $10k-ish hit on that price car. And would impact it if they try to resell in the next few years.

Oh, I just looked up warranty. Only cars before Feb 2021 can purchase extended warranty.

Thank you all for the advise and feedback, much appreciated. Lets say I can get it a considerable discounted rate (10-15%) would that be a good deal if I also able to get an extended tesla warranty? Was looking to make an offer of around 80k, but we'll see how that goes.

Fender benders and being rear ended seem to be day to day occurrences which I would think that if repaired correctly (reputable shop i.e. tesla) then the risk would be minimized? Right?

Thank you all for the advise and feedback, much appreciated. Lets say I can get it a considerable discounted rate (10-15%) would that be a good deal if I also able to get an extended tesla warranty? Was looking to make an offer of around 80k, but we'll see how that goes.

Fender benders and being rear ended seem to be day to day occurrences which I would think that if repaired correctly (reputable shop i.e. tesla) then the risk would be minimized? Right?
I really doubt $80K would fly. You can start there.

I just got a trade in offer from Tesla for my 2019, 7 Seat for $87,700 (with tax benefits) that equates to $93K

The car you are looking at is 2 years newer. I think it's a reasonable deal at ~$90K (but depends on options) FSD, Seats etc.

There asking price, with no CARFAX ding, of $97K is a fair price in this market. But CARFAX ding wouldn't account for $17K.

If the purchase date is after Feb 21 you can't get the Tesla Warranty. But you'd still be covered to 50K miles. Also check if 2nd owner can buy it.
And Battery and Drivetrain is 8 years and 150K miles.

Tesla is really pushing to get away from extended warranty. A 2021 bought 3rd party has a slim change of getting it.

Until you have the damaged check you don't know the quality of the work.

But again, the fact it was damaged is in the lifelong record for this car. And any future buyer will likely ask questions about it. Or in my case, I would not even bother considering the car no matter if the work was done by a Tesla authorized body shop.

Until you have the damaged check you don't know the quality of the work.

But again, the fact it was damaged is in the lifelong record for this car. And any future buyer will likely ask questions about it. Or in my case, I would not even bother considering the car no matter if the work was done by a Tesla authorized body shop.
True. It would be nice to know the cost of the repair. It might be a front and rear bumper cover. 95% of authorized repairs are usually perfect. That’s why your getting a discount for it, because there is risk there. Tesla should know what parts were ordered under that VIN. Like was a rear hatch ordered would say a lot. Or just bumper covers. I personally wouldn’t either.