Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Good electrician for South Bay Los Angeles/Torrance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

Might need a lot of work done upgrading the electricity for the new Tesla. Any recommendations for the South Bay area?
Meter is on neighbor's unit about 80ft from the garage. I think only 100A currently going to my house :(

Thanks!!

Hi,

Might need a lot of work done upgrading the electricity for the new Tesla. Any recommendations for the South Bay area?
Meter is on neighbor's unit about 80ft from the garage. I think only 100A currently going to my house

Thanks!!

I just got work done from an Electrician friend of my mother (she's a realtor.) Real clean work. He lives in LA and has done work for my mom in West Covina (to wire up her 30A Plug In Aerovironment for her Leaf) and he just completed work for me in Long Beach a couple of 14-50s (and a 6-50) for my pending Teslas... (already have a 32A Chargepoint for my ActiveE.) So, I think he'll drive to the South Bay from LA for the right-sized job.

I WAS going to put in 100A to the garage for a HPWC. But the materials cost for the job was approx. $2000 for 100A to get from my main to my garage (basically the whole length of the house) with a lot of conduit work and the like. Basically went with a 70A feed to one of the 14-50s that we'll swap out for a HPWC running at 70% when I take delivery of our S in November.

One thing to consider though is to get your feed and main updated... I had 100A originally, until I installed Solar, then the panel upgrade went up to 200A and I'm saving money on my EV driving. With the Active E the 100A was fine as I only drew 32A for my Chargepoint EVSE, but there will be several months where there will be three EVs at the house until BMW forcibly rips my beloved Active E away from me.

If you're interested in my electrician's info, PM me.

Dennis
My Blog (mainly Active E for now and Tesla stuff as it grows...)
Active E driver with 42,500 miles in almost 18 months. Roadster #78 when they finally complete PDI (new estimate Friday the 23rd). Tesla Model S requested November 2013 delivery in Blue/Tan WITH Sub-zero Package in Southern California... Because COLD is a relative term.

Hi,

Meter is on neighbor's unit about 80ft from the garage. I think only 100A currently going to my house :(

Thanks!!
Sounds like you may be living in a townhome. If there is a Home Owners Association, you may need to get their approval, which cannot be unreasonably withheld.

Sounds about right. Go Solar, they'll upgrade your panel then...

And get locked into a good tariff before SCE screws around with you.

Dennis
My Blog (mainly Active E for now and Tesla stuff as it grows...)
Active E driver with 42,500 miles in almost 18 months. Roadster #78 when they finally complete PDI (new estimate Saturday the 24th). Tesla Model S requested November 2013 delivery in Blue/Tan WITH Sub-zero Package in Southern California... Because COLD is a relative term.

If you want to get Edison's low rates,let me know we have vast experience installing power and stations for electric cars, prices are upfront and no crazy 1ok estimates, best regards,Chris.
Lumens Electric.jpg
LUMENS ELECTRIC 2 27  2011.JPG