Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Good experience at Rockville Service Center

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

kendallpb

Model S: P 8061
Oct 29, 2010
MD, USA
I had a very good experience at the Rockville Service Center. Nathan's very nice, helpful, and patient. While there, I ran into a couple (well, I just met the wife) (I presume wife) who'd been at the Delaware meet-up recently, which included some DC-area, NY, Boston, and I think other folks. I'm sorry I missed that, though I saw some pix online already! Anyway, she was very friendly and we chatted a bit, but I had to cut it short because Nathan finished taking care of the license plate. Sorry to run out, fellow Model S owner! On to the service:

Nathan installed my rear plate; I either never had screws or they were stolen, but he got some and the rear chrome-ish plate frame and put it on. He also used some detailing spray and a cloth to clean what I thought were scrathes just on two doors, just at the edge where the bottom part of the handles come out. Yay!

I got an appointment to have one piece of paint armor redone (a few bubbles) and the hood armor redone as a full cover, and he said he'd order a frunk net for me to buy/pick up then. More yay! He told the other Tesla owner that a bunch of battery badges are going to be shipped to them and they'll put them on cars as they come in for service, etc., as needed. I'm still on the fence about this but now I'm slightly leaning towards having it done...still not sure....

Nathan told me the parcel shelves are being shipped out directly to customers (like the HPWC), which is not what I'd read around here recently, so I guess that's a change.

He also said he'd take care of one other minor gripe that I won't go into here, but my point is that he put up with my griping and handled it diplomatically and with good customer service, and I appreciate it. I should bring him cookies like the women I met did. ;-) Anyway, Nathan rocks. I look forward to getting those last couple of things (mainly the paint armor) taken care of.

And it's sooooo good to have my rear plate installed...now I can speed, I mean, now I don't have to worry about being pulled over for that. ;-)

I am confused. Tesla never mentioned they would be filing for the Maryland EV Tax Credit for me.

So, I paid the full 6% Maryland sales tax on my MVPA. The MD incentive states:

Electric Vehicle (EV) Tax Credit:
A tax credit of up to $2,000 is available against the excise tax imposed for the purchase of qualified plug-in electric vehicles.

So, I will receive a check this year for $2000, is that correct? Who at Tesla should I contact to verify this?

How long did it take to get the license plates? Have you gotten the MD sales tax credit refund yet?

Hiya! I received the plates from MVA 4 weeks and 2 days after getting the car...well, okay, 4 weeks and 4 days, because the solar panel folks blocked our mailbox (I hate that we're on a driving route) for a couple of days. When we realized USPS wasn't delivering the mail, we asked Solar City to park around the corner on the third day, and the plates showed up. I don't mean to criticize Solar City; we knew they were parking there, but our old mailman would sometimes deliver for a day or two if it was just something like this in the way. And they bring boxes up to the porch, which they aren't even supposed to do (or so the Post Office clerks have said in the past), so why they can't get out to drop off the mail a couple of days...sorry, I'm rambling now. ;-) With all the stories about people getting pulled over, etc. I'm so glad to have the plates!

As far as the tax rebate/refund check, yes, it came out of the blue on the 8th. Tesla dated my check 02-25, it was postmarked 03-04, and it arrived 03-08. I don't know why they took a week to mail it, but someone else (see this thread at TM's forums) had a check dated the 19th, postmarked the 4th/arrived 8th as well. I don't know if Tesla batches them before sending out, or it was a fluke. Anyway, so that was almost exactly 4 weeks from pick-up to check from Tesla, but like I said, this other guy waited 5 weeks.

- - - Updated - - -

I am confused. Tesla never mentioned they would be filing for the Maryland EV Tax Credit for me.

So, I paid the full 6% Maryland sales tax on my MVPA. The MD incentive states:

Electric Vehicle (EV) Tax Credit:
A tax credit of up to $2,000 is available against the excise tax imposed for the purchase of qualified plug-in electric vehicles.

So, I will receive a check this year for $2000, is that correct? Who at Tesla should I contact to verify this?

My impression is that normally, you pay the tax, the car retailer (Tesla, in this case) files for the rebate/credit, and they send you a check. Or at least, that's mostly how Telsa's been doing it, although I think I read some mixed comments at TM's forums. But yeah, if you paid the full tax, they should be filing for it and you should get it before super-long. It took 4 weeks for me, 5 weeks for someone else, and I don't know what's typical. I'm guessing you could ask your DS, e-mail ownership, or call the 800 #. I knew they were doing this because I'd read about it and asked when I picked it up. I don't know if they'd've bothered mentioning it to me if I hadn't asked when I paid for the car--I got the impression they "just do it" automagically, not something you ask for. But it doesn't hurt to verify that they did it.

- - - Updated - - -

@Gator: BTW Congrats, you picked up your car 4 weeks to the day after I got mine! :-D

I'd also like to state that Nathan was awesome to deal with. Ordered the 10-30 adaptor from him and he gave me a rear license plate holder. It didn't come with screws so I used the ones from my other car and that seems to have been a mistake. Screw doesn't go in all the way and now the screw along with the white part the scre goes into just turns together forever.

I just got my plates in this weekend. About 4 weeks after delivery. I was also told after asking that the MD tax credit will be taken care of by Tesla and they will cut me a check. They also mentioned that the HOV form will have to be filled out by me.

I'd also like to state that Nathan was awesome to deal with. Ordered the 10-30 adaptor from him and he gave me a rear license plate holder. It didn't come with screws so I used the ones from my other car and that seems to have been a mistake. Screw doesn't go in all the way and now the screw along with the white part the scre goes into just turns together forever.

The rear should come with screws. Mine didn't have them, but Nathan seemed surprised, and when he installed the rear plate frame, he supplied two screws (the plate holder only takes two), when I said I didn't have any. If you can get the screws out, he'll probably give you a couple if you explain they weren't on your car when you picked it up (presuming that's the case). ;-)

What accessories do they sell at the Service Center? I do not recall seeing a showcase. I did a bunch of brochures. Now I need a cargo net.

Thanks for asking about the MD Tax Credit check. I honestly thought I had to wait to file my 2013 taxes to get this.

What accessories do they sell at the Service Center? I do not recall seeing a showcase. I did a bunch of brochures. Now I need a cargo net.

I'm not sure they officially sell anything there, but Nathan said he'd order me a frunk net. Maybe they can order anything, like regular retail stores can order things from other stores or from corporate HQ and save the buyer on shipping (but I expect to pay tax). I didn't ask if they could order anything from the Tesla store for us, so it might be limited to whatever the closest store (i.e., DC) carries.

I meant to ask if they had any brochures but when I picked up the car, they'd said to stop by the DC store, so I didn't think of it. I saw a small stack behind his desk but it didn't look like enough for me to take some. ;-)

Does anyone know if the Rockville service center has a HPWC that customers could use? My brother-in-law lives in Rockville which is 320 miles from my home (and a 120V outlet is the best he has to offer).

I doubt it, but just call them directly and ask (# on Tesla's site). I think my car was hooked up to what looked like a 14-50 or 6-50 outlet when I picked it up, which doesn't mean they don't have an HPWC. I'm just skeptical their outlets or HPWC would be available to customers.

But check out recargo, plugshare, Blink, Chargepoint, et al. for charging stations in his area. Bring your J1772 adapter (most likely to be of use) and UMC/adapters. For example, a quick search of Recargo shows a bunch in 20850 (I don't know your brother's ZIP code so I just picked a Rockville ZIP code at random).

Quick follow up. Received my Maryland tags today. 8 business days after picking up the vehicle from the Tesla Rockville Service Center.

Tesla HQ also confirmed they do the Maryland State refund and send the check when they get it.

Two thumbs up.

I also need a cargo net too. I was trying to get a motorcycle one to work, but not as good.

Quick follow up. Received my Maryland tags today. 8 business days after picking up the vehicle from the Tesla Rockville Service Center.

Tesla HQ also confirmed they do the Maryland State refund and send the check when they get it.

Two thumbs up.

I also need a cargo net too. I was trying to get a motorcycle one to work, but not as good.

Holy carp, 8 biz days is quick. Either MVA is drinking more coffee or perhaps the month wait I had was because Tesla was so busy and didn't get things moving quickly.

In other news, ask Rockville to order you a frunk net. They did this for me and it saved on shipping, plus at least as of two days ago, they still had an old price in their system, so it was really cheap. No promises--you might pay the online price, but at least you'd save on shipping.