TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Good grief, racking up miles on 70D at rate of 40,000 per year - yikes

Discussion in 'Model S' started by calisnow, May 19, 2016.

1. calisnow

calisnow Active Member

Soooo, wishing I had spent the extra $10K for the 90D - because at the rate this thing is going it will rack up so many miles it will be worthless in 24-36 months - when I had planned to flip it for a new S with the next generation autopilot.

At least if I'd bought the 90, when the battery degraded after 100K miles I'd still have the range of the 70 when new. I gotta say I'm feeling a bit penny wise and pound foolish on this decision I made. :(

Just a word to the wise - you may like driving (or riding, with autopilot) so much that you put far more miles than initially anticipated on your Tesla.

I do have a second one on order and I'm waiting for the 100 kwhr battery - nobody in my family wants to drive anything but the Tesla. It has gotten us so spoiled it's the only tool used to travel distances of over 30 miles. And now a 200 mile round trip for dinner and movie is not out of the question because autopilot cruising is so relaxing.

I keep trying to tell myself I'm saving so much money on "fuel" compared to my 14 mpg Benz that this Tesla replaced - but I'm driving so many more miles that's a lie I tell myself so I can sleep at night. Oh well.

:sigh:

• Like x 6
    • Funny x 3
  2. Electric700

Electric700 Member

At least you're enjoying it! Congrats on your new one also.

About the degradation concern you have, I am really not seeing a lot of complaints about that. Some people have 20,000+ miles on their cars and have lost little if any range. Just try to keep the charge level below 90% and I think you'll be fine. If you do need to charge close to 100%, it's best if you drive it as soon as possible (e.g. a half hour or less) after the charge completes. And if you do need to leave your car unused for a few days, set the charge level to 50% and leave it plugged in if possible.

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  3. calisnow

calisnow Active Member

Interesting tips there. I do only charge to 100% when going on a long trip - otherwise I charge to 90% every night. The car is driven daily, but most days only locally - so charging only to 50% most nights would be fine. Are you saying that daily charging to only 50% is better for the battery's long term life than 90%?

4. LargeHamCollider

LargeHamCollider Battery cells != scalable

#4 LargeHamCollider, May 19, 2016
    Last edited: May 19, 2016
    Your battery is significantly better than you're giving it credit for: Tesla MaxRange

I would guess that a 70D will get at least 250,000 miles before you're down to 80% of original capacity.

Charging to 50% is very likely better than charging to 90% for battery longevity, but not by all that much.

• Like x 1
  5. SΞXY P100D

SΞXY P100D Member

I feel so sorry for you. o_O

If you're worried about resale value, might as well sell it right away as soon as you get your second Model S.

• Like x 1
  6. SΞXY P100D

SΞXY P100D Member

Don't know why I keep re-reading your post. I wish I had your problem. :D

• Like x 1
  7. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

There is a post on here somewhere where a scientist determined (charts and all) that the optimal charge level for battery longevity is 70% or less (I think down to 40%, but not sure). Since most of the time I use no more than 40%, I decided to start doing it. Can't hurt. On degradation, I have just about 24K and, after balancing just the other day, I am back to 235 at 90%. I'm pretty sure that's what I had early on.

And I know what you mean about driving more. I always offer to drive everybody. I probably drive about 25% more than I used to with same commute, etc. I'm not putting miles on like you, though I would love it!

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  8. Chasedrgc1223

Chasedrgc1223 Nearly Insane

I have an 85D delivered March 4th of last year, and I have more than 51k on it. Good to know you're enjoying your car!

• Like x 1
  9. RogerHScott

RogerHScott Active Member

Impatient wannabe M3 owners will be snapping up used MSs in order to get on the Tesla bandwagon for several years to come.
    I think worries about MS resale values are misplaced.

10. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 918 Hybrid

The data seems to show that the capacity levels off at 95% at 100K

upload_2016-5-19_21-55-21.png

• Informative x 3
  11. mhpr262

mhpr262 Member

40k is exactly as much as I have put on my Fiat Panda ... in eight years :D

• Funny x 1
  12. mhpr262

mhpr262 Member

The battery electrolyte becomes unstable and suffers accelerated aging at the very top and at the very bottom of the charge states. Optimum stability (e.g. for long-term storage) is around 40-50% charge. If you do not need all the range there is no need to charge to 90%. It is better to use the upper end rather than the lower end, though. Keeping it between 80% and 30% would be pretty much ideal.

• Informative x 1
  13. scole04

scole04 Member

Battery upgrade retrofit is coming at some point in the next couple years. I would hold on for a bit and do the upgrade

14. DFibRL8R

DFibRL8R Member

Elon has said as much, also that it would not be worthwhile to upgrade the battery more frequently than every 3 years due to marginal technology benefit with more frequent replacement. I am very happy with my 3 year old Model S 60 with 77k miles but would be happier if I could buy/upgrade to a newer pack with more range for long trips (or rent one swap-style). Tesla seems to prefer owners simply upgrade to a new car instead of upgrading the pack which I can't personally justify from a cost standpoint. I hope they will offer upgrades at a reasonable cost (with a reasonable credit/trade-in for the current pack) in the near future.

• Like x 2
  15. SΞXY P100D

SΞXY P100D Member

You bring up a novel idea. Why not offer the option to rent a larger battery for those rarer long range trips?

16. gavine

gavine Petrol Head turned EV Enthusiast

I'm putting 3x's my typical mileage on my Model S. I normally put 5K per year on my cars. I have 30K @ 2-years on my MS60. Selling/trading the S for Model X in a couple of weeks. I suspect I'll be putting-on mileage at an even greater rate with the X since it has autopilot and supercharging. (My S has neither)

17. DFibRL8R

DFibRL8R Member

Not my idea, of course, but the concept makes a lot of sense given that the battery is expensive and heavy. Hauling around all that extra battery weight all the time seems like a waste if you really only need it for an occasional longer road trip (my scenario). Heck, let me take that Powerwall and install in in the frunk for a long road trip to boost range. Eventually I would expect the weight and cost of higher capacity batteries will make this a non-issue. I am secretly hoping Tesla will unveil this amazing large-capacity, lightweight battery technology soon and that's why they aren't offering upgrades/swaps for existing customers.

• Like x 1
  18. tstafford

tstafford Member

I second the comment somewhere above - Great that you are enjoying the car. They are terrific.

19. RogerHScott

RogerHScott Active Member

That day will never come. No matter how efficient the battery is the capacity you don't need will always weigh something, with merely hauling it around reducing the range of the capacity you do need. I'll bet a lot of people who mainly do relatively short commutes in their Teslas could get by on at most 1/3 of their current battery capacity on a day-to-day basis. If the other 2/3rds could be removed and stowed somewhere their cars would be faster and longer-range on the remainder.

• Like x 1
  20. SΞXY P100D

SΞXY P100D Member

Good point. Has anyone studied the pros and cons between having a heavier/large capacity battery pack versus a lighter/low capacity battery pack, assuming there's a major weight difference between the two?